• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help to identify again please !!! (1 Viewer)

jivelady

Saw these today at farlington marshes, south england.

Wheatears???

Attachments

• IMG_5600 1.jpg
    IMG_5600 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_5633 1.jpg
    IMG_5633 1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5638 1.jpg
    IMG_5638 1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 196
Saw these today at farlington marshes, south england.

Wheatears???

what other species were you thinking of that they could be?

what are the salient features of the birds and how do they match with wheatear?

remember to include country and location in the thread title- otherwise it is annoying.

In this instance you need neither the county or location as they are in every county and most locations with perhaps the exception of gardens unless your garden consists of a few acres of open field...but yes wheatears

Last edited:
It's not about " Need neither country or location". For me it's about if I will bother to open the mess at all.

So i'm with grahamarchy "remember to include country and location in the thread title- otherwise it is annoying."

The photos show Northern Wheatear.

//Ben

New to this...........

A little harsh . Im a newbie guys but will seek to avoid ' annoying' people or posting a ' mess', in the future.

I will certainly have no problem remembering what a wheatear looks like.

:eek!:

Chill guys . Lifes about relaxing and enjoying birding
o:D

Thankyou for positive id of wheatears.

A little harsh . Im a newbie guys but will seek to avoid ' annoying' people or posting a ' mess', in the future.

Thankyou for positive id of wheatears.

Jivelady,

Please don't assume everyone on here will be so unwelcoming. Unfortunately, there's a sub-set of birders whose grasp of common civility is severely lacking. Their field markings include solitary behaviour (being unable to relate to others of their species) and a whining song which is directed to all who fail to live up their own standards.

As you say, chill!

Peter

P.S. it is the convention on here to include country and title in the thread description. (Even the god-like mods forget sometimes, though.)

Wow, guys - sure a friendly tone is possible.

Welcome jivelady! :)

In the first photo, the bird on the left-hand side is not a wheatear so I'm not sure why you got a sarcastic comment - or did the experts not bother to look properly? Looks like a yellow wagtail to me. The other bird is indeed a wheatear.

That was my first thought but the bill looks a bit long and the yellow on the body not quite intense enough for a juvenile willow. Yellow wags often turn up in the same places as wheatears. Might be a trick of the light though so I'd be happy to accept it's a willow warbler - but certainly not a wheatear. ;)

Last edited:
Thankyou

Thanks guys for a more friendly welcome and for sharing your thoughts about birds.

You've put a smile on my face :t:

Helen

Don't take it too personally, I had a similar reception when I posted a thread for ID help when I first joined

chiff warb wag willow ???

Do these make life any easier ??? Dont think it was a chiffchaff as I would have heard its call. ( Chiffchaff call is one that I actually know - why cant they all have a call that says their name !!!!!!! )

Attachments

• IMG_5568 1.jpg
    IMG_5568 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5589 1.jpg
    IMG_5589 1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5591 1.jpg
    IMG_5591 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5600 1.jpg
    IMG_5600 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 88
Right, I'll admit defeat. It's a willow warbler. In these photos, it shows typical WW behaviour (hunting insects/spiders around cobwebs) and a yellow wag would have prominent wing bars and a stronger supercilium. Long primary projection (long wings, basically) make it a willow and not a chiffchaff.
BTW, chiffchaffs don't usually sing when you spot them somewhere, especially not on migration (plus there's also females and juveniles that don't sing anyway). They do however have a loud alarm/contact call that is easy to ID - willow warblers have slightly different one. Always a good idea to learn a bird's call as well as its song.

Last edited:
jivelady, welcome to birdforum!

I am not going to get involved in the id of these birds, but would like to express that I think a couple of posts could have been worded in a nicer way. Having said that, I do agree that it is an advantage if some indication of where the id question is going such as location is included in the title of the thread, but birdforum does not have a hard and fast rule that such an indication must be included.

Niels

jivelady, welcome to birdforum!

I am not going to get involved in the id of these birds, but would like to express that I think a couple of posts could have been worded in a nicer way. Having said that, I do agree that it is an advantage if some indication of where the id question is going such as location is included in the title of the thread, but birdforum does not have a hard and fast rule that such an indication must be included.

Niels

Indeed it does. |8||

Sticky. READ THIS BEFORE POSTING: Include Country and Location in title of your Thread Please

Think this may have arisen in the past....anyway, I wish there were forums for different continents. Europe, Americas, Asia and on. Sometimes the whole first page is taken up with non European id questions. However, I'm enough of a realist to accept that wishes don't come true :-C

Indeed it does. |8||

Sticky. READ THIS BEFORE POSTING: Include Country and Location in title of your Thread Please

It's a request, not an order!

And why pick on a newcomer, when there's plenty other well established members who 'forget';)

Think this may have arisen in the past....anyway, I wish there were forums for different continents. Europe, Americas, Asia and on. Sometimes the whole first page is taken up with non European id questions. However, I'm enough of a realist to accept that wishes don't come true :-C

This has been discussed many times, and the result has always been that the majority of members don't want any change.

A troublesome newbie !

What a debate I seem to have caused. For those that were unhappy that I didn't include location and country, note that I re-posted soon after with those details in the thread title.

Im a newbie guys who just needed a bit of encouragement and guidance.

Ive had a baptism of fire.... with also some kind encouragement and welcomes too.

Im a blonde......... ;)

Don't worry about it Helen. There's always one!

I could direct you to another thread ummm... something to do with Bitterns, if I remember right ;) and I'm not blonde :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back