• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluethroat, night song (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
We were out looking at Short-eared Owls last night and among the calling Corncrakes and Grasshopper Warblers was this prolonged song. It was coming from a bush in a roadside ditch.

I'm very familiar with Thrush Nightingale so I'm sure the culprit was a Bluethroat. The song was constant for an hour at almost midnight, we expect this in spring but why now, when breeding is pretty much over?

I'll post a link to the song later

A

Here's the song

Attachments

• Голос 007.m4a
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
  • b71.голос_007_1_.inettools.net.cutmp3.mp3
    938.1 KB · Views: 88
It is Blyth's Reed Warbler. Some unpaired males are still singing at this time of year, but in a week or so singing is completely ceased.

Many thanks indeed Jalid, I was convinced it was Bluethroat due to some of the sounds being similar to Thrush Nightingale, neither are birds that we hear sing in the UK

Andy

Last edited:
What a great song and not so Acro in style - I've only ever seen one autumn bird and after that I've often pondered about them on breeding grounds..

What a great song and not so Acro in style - I've only ever seen one autumn bird and after that I've often pondered about them on breeding grounds..

Doesn't sound at all accro to me Simon, we've seen Bluethroat in almost the same place so I assumed that's what it was.

A

Doesn't sound at all accro to me Simon, we've seen Bluethroat in almost the same place so I assumed that's what it was.

A

I'd say some of the harder notes are a little bit Acro but the rhythm and the musical notes are mad! Wish I could see one singing ;)

By the way - nice recording.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back