• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible "group anting" in American Robins? (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello all,

Yesterday evening I observed some very peculiar behavior in my backyard, a behavior that I have not seen before.

Around 18:30 I was alerted to the sight of about 10 robins on the back lawn. Upon closer inspection, I saw that about half of them were preening. However, it was not a normal kind of preening. The robins were spreading their wings and tails out at odd angles, sometimes letting their wings touch the ground. They would first pick at the grass, then they would begin the aforementioned preening behavior. This went on for almost an hour, with most (I believe) engaging in this behavior at some point, even juveniles. By the end of the hour, most were now picking at the grass and eating something.

I suspect they were "anting" for two reasons. First, I can't figure out why they would all deliberately preen in an unusual manner on the ground. Second, I don't think they could have been sunbathing because it was late afternoon/early evening and the sun was not strong.

I can confirm there are a lot of ants in the yard, as many times I have either sat down or set something up in the yard, and ants would start congregating aggressively. This is true for a good portion of the yard.

If they were all "anting", though, why did they do it together and why have I not seen them do it before?

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures showing their behavior.

Thank you in advance for helping me decipher the latest bird "ant-ics" in my yard!

Round Two

Thanks for replying, fugl.

The story continues... They came back again this evening for Round Two, though to a lesser degree than yesterday.

I observed five American Robins tonight from about 17:55 to 18:25, two of which engaged in this possible "anting" behavior. An adult male seemed to be keeping the numbers down, though I think fewer robins came tonight in the first place. I was able to get several photos of them this time. Though the photos are poor, they give a general idea of the scene and what the robins were doing.

The first four photos show two different birds (I believe) preening, but it demonstrates the strange postures I described in my previous post.

The last photo is simply a photo of most of the group, including one presumably "anting".

Attachments

• RobinBehavior.JPG
    RobinBehavior.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 63
  • RobinBehavior1.JPG
    RobinBehavior1.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 66
  • RobinBehavior2.JPG
    RobinBehavior2.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 69
  • RobinBehavior3.JPG
    RobinBehavior3.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 79
  • RobinsInYard.JPG
    RobinsInYard.JPG
    665.3 KB · Views: 82
Have you tried getting close to the birds when they're engaged in these shenanigans? My experience with sunbathing/anting is that the birds become almost comatose, allowing a very close approach before abruptly snapping out of it and flying off. Getting close in this way would also enable you to check for ants.

Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago of a sunbathing jay which allowed me to get within a few feet before it flew off--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/18227265704/in/album-72157602221849079/

Have you tried getting close to the birds when they're engaged in these shenanigans? My experience with sunbathing/anting is that the birds become almost comatose, allowing a very close approach before abruptly snapping out of it and flying off. Getting close in this way would also enable you to check for ants.

Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago of a sunbathing jay which allowed me to get within a few feet before it flew off--

No, I haven't. If they come back again tonight, I might give that a try!

UPDATE:

I saw another robin engaging in this behavior tonight and got a bit closer. Initially it didn't do much, but when I was maybe 15-20 feet from the robin it swiftly hopped away.

I forgot to check for ants...

I've only seen anting being done in the daylight and sunny hours of the day. Never in the evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back