• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[newbie] Kowa TSN-883 XD Prominar + Canon G5 (1 Viewer)

Marsh Warbler

Hi all,

I'm newbie in digiscoping so I would like to ask you some advices/suggestions.

My scope: Kowa TSN 883 XD Prominar
My camera: Canon G5.

Do you think digiscoping is possible with this pair or I must to buy a new camera? Brand, model?
What do you think about this adapter click here? In your opinion is it compatible with my "tools"?

Sorry for my english!
Thank You Very Much! ;)

Big problem with digiscoping is shielding out non-image forming light (glare, etc). I would recommend against an adapter that doesn't shield glare between ep and cam.

Digiscoping is possible with just about any digital camera, plus some. G5 should be more than adequate. The connection is challenging. A universal adapter with threads, a step up converter and a tube or pipe of appropriate size is one option.

Do you think digiscoping is possible with this pair or I must to buy a new camera? Brand, model?
What do you think about this adapter?
Hi MW,

The Kowa 883 is one of the best scopes if not THE best right now. The Canon G5 is also a great camera, but its zoom lens requires a long eye-relief eyepiece (like the Kowa 25xLER) - or else you get serious vignetting. If you plan to digiscope with the zoom eyepiece (which is not very "LER"), you could perhaps consider the Nikon P5100, Fuji F31 (or its successors) or some of the smaller compact cameras.

The suggested adapter is good, but not the most sophisticated ;) . It has no swing-out features, it is big and clumsy - but it does the job and accepts almost any camera-scope combinations. You can find a lot of discussion if you search the forum for "Baader adapter".

Best regards,

Ilkka

If you plan to digiscope with the zoom eyepiece (which is not very "LER"), you could perhaps consider the Nikon P5100, Fuji F31 (or its successors) or some of the smaller compact cameras

Thank You Ilkka,
just another question. Yesterday I tested my "tools" and today I think the best way to obtain sharp shots is to set G5 in manual focus (at infinity) and rotate the focus knob of s.scope. Is this solution correct? If yes...P5100, F31 etc don't have manual focus...if I buy one of this d.cameras I must change focus method?

Thank You, Gracias, Merci, Grazie! ;)

MW

PS I plan to digiscope with zoom...yes...in Italy 210+ euros for the 25xLER eyepiece...too much!

Last edited:
I think the best way to obtain sharp shots is to set G5 in manual focus (at infinity) and rotate the focus knob of s.scope. Is this solution correct? If yes...P5100, F31 etc don't have manual focus...if I buy one of this d.cameras I must change focus method?
MW,

That method is very good when the camera has a good display and you wish to control focusing yourself. Most cameras (including the P5100 and F31) have a fixed focus setting (usually a "landscape" mode), which allows you to focus using the scope. Quite many users however just focus roughly with the scope and let the camera autofocus take care of the rest. Both methods have been used successfully and correct solution is the one that works for you.

BTW, If you are happy with your G5, I see no need for you to get a new digiscoping camera. You just may have to fine adjust the camera-eyepiece distance to minimize vignetting.

Best regards & Forza Ferrari! :t:

Ilkka

Ilkka,

I'm not happy with my G5: the autofocus is too slow, the LCD is too small...and I get vignetting with Kowa... |:(|

Bye, MW

Raikkonen The Best! :t:

The small lens size and available camera adapters for the Canon "A" series make these cameras excellent choices for digiscoping. Take a look at my adapter on the "Adapters" forum. Unfortunately, the rather large lens diameters of the "G" series make them poor choices for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back