• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod for a biiig lens (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Apologies if this has been done before, but I can't find any specific references :

Does anyone use, or would anyone recommend, a monopod that can be used with one of the largest lenses (e.g. 600mm f4)? I'm thinking of getting one as a way of saving bulk/weight when travelling.

Also, and apologies if this sounds a bit dumb, does one use a monopod like this directly attached to the lens, or with a gimbal head attached? At football matches they seem to use them directly attached.

Also, and apologies if this sounds a bit dumb, does one use a monopod like this directly attached to the lens, or with a gimbal head attached? At football matches they seem to use them directly attached.

At football matches the action all happens in one plane, so there's very little need to tilt the lens ap and down. With birds that's not the case.

When I got my new Gitzo monopod (after realising that handheld video just wasn't an option) I tried several solutions for use with my 7D and 300 f2.8 lens.

First I bought a Manfrotto 234RC tilt head and replaced the QR clamp with an Arca-Swiss type. That meant I could use the the plates already attached to my gear (my other heads all have Arca-Swiss type clamps). But the 234 head isn't designed for something so heavy. Even fully tightened there was a lot of drooping - and I mean a lot. I also like to carry the monopod/lens combo over my shoulder, but that was impossible as the head slowly tilted under the strain. So the 234RC got put away.

I thought of using a gimbal head - but that was so heavy it made it really difficult to use and carry around. I tried a ballhead, but that was too wobbly.

Then I tried just attaching the clamp to the monopod. That worked well except for when I wanted to get birds in flight or high in trees. I ended up lifting the whole assembly - which doesn't make for good stability. I also like to carry my gear over my shoulder, with the monopod at 90º to keep it out of the way. Impossible with this setup.

Finally, I bit the bullet and decided to spend some money on the problem. I bought a Really Right Stuff High Capacity Monopod Head. I couldn't find a UK dealer so I had to buy direct. And it wasn't cheap. But I reckon it was worth it. It will easily hold my gear at any angle, so unwanted droop is a thing of the past. It's very light which is important when walking around with it all day. And it's small, so it fits nicely in my monopd bag.

The attached images show my 20D, 300 f2.8 and 2x TC attached to the RRS head (which is attached to my Acratech Ballhead - the RRS head has an Arca-Swiss fitting on its base). As you can see, it easily holds it at any angle.

Overall the whole thing cost me around £250 including shipping and VAT. That's 10 times as much as the 234RC but I think it's worth it to have something that actually works.

Attachments

• RRS_0003.jpg
    RRS_0003.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,655
  • RRS_0006.jpg
    RRS_0006.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,133
Indeed the Really Right Stuff High Capacity Monopod Head is the king of the monopod head. It is the choice of the Monopod head for sport photogs. I do not have any big gun, so I'm going to put my LN condiont RRS head up for sale. PM me if interested.

Steve

Gitzo 5561T - absolutely rock solid, collapses very small and goes very large. Weighs next to nothing and feels wonderful on my D300/400 2.8 combo, making sharp pics even at 1/10 sec.

Apologies if this has been done before, but I can't find any specific references :

Does anyone use, or would anyone recommend, a monopod that can be used with one of the largest lenses (e.g. 600mm f4)? I'm thinking of getting one as a way of saving bulk/weight when travelling.

I use my 600m F4 IS + 1D4 on a silly little stick called a Gitzo GM 2541. It weighs next to nothing and looks scarily thin mounted on my lens.
However it does it's job REMARKABLY well - so much so that I have turned down offers on bigger Gitzo Mono pods. In theory a 3 or 5 series would be better, but this is Canon's heaviest combo and the 2541 is just fine - though a little disconcerting! :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back