• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My wildlife art (1 Viewer)

thanks so much everyone, don't worry about keeping up with the thread ! I post quite often so if your busy it would be quite hard to keep up!
My mum has a friend she talks to via email, who lives in america, and she has sent some beautiful Great Horned Owl photos for me to draw from. I hope to travel and see them for myself one day, but for now, I'll just have to draw one!
I'll start that this afternoon, and I will post in stages :)

the progress so far- using cheap coloured pencils and a 'burnishing' white pencil which I rub over the coloured pencil to blend the colours together and smooth it out.
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1462.jpg
IMG_1468.jpg
(last pic is slightly blurred)

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
You've put a lot of work into this NL.

You have many years ahead of you. But to see the quality of work and industry at your age leaves me astounded and life-affirmed. This is truly remarkable work from one "starting out." I'd love to see how your work progresses. Please keep it up and keep posting. You have a great talent, and a talent that needs to be nurtured and assisted by helpful comments from those more experienced.

Take every criticism, or praise in your stride. Be true to what you want to do. And keep flowering in your own way. Be honest to what delights you, in what you do. Others will then understand your joy.

Advice only.
But you have shown some remarkable bursts of Wonder here. Long may it continue!:t:

Tim and Gaby, thank you !

Phil, Thank you so much, I really appreciate your encouragement. I don't even know what to say to such a kind comment!! I'll keep posting away. The comments I get on here, as well as the constant inspiration of other artists work, always makes me want to draw and paint even more! I'm working on something at the moment, a lizard basking in the sun, the scales take a looong time but I'll post it up when I'm done!

Super job - really nice work. Also, looks like you are developing a very strong personal style - ususual in one so young. Keep it up!

I echo what Tim said. I've played music seriously for many years, and the most phenomenal musicians I've ever met developed a serious interest in music at an early age and really focused on it. As with languages, I think that learning music at a young age progresses faster and greatly expands the possible ultimate ability in a way not possible if most learning comes at a later age. I remember reading that if a language is learned fluently by the teenage years, it is possible to speak without a detectable non-native accent, whereas if fluency comes later the accent is always there. So keep it up and you may find your on a path that leads to great heights down the road. :t:

Hi Nature,
I'm most impressed by your most recent works - the owl and lizard. The owl is superbly done, young sir! I wish I'd the nous to try something like this! Cheapo coloured pencils? You can have my expensive Derwents for nowt if this is what you can achieve - they're as much use to me as the proverbial 'tits on a boar'.

What an age to be develping your art, too. But watch out for those Friday night distractions, young man!

Keep up this excellent work.

Russ

The owl is superbly done, young sir! I wish I'd the nous to try something like this! Cheapo coloured pencils? You can have my expensive Derwents for nowt if this is what you can achieve - they're as much use to me as the proverbial 'tits on a boar'.

Eloquently put, Russ (although all you need to do is get using them - they'll soon be flowing like your graphite ones do!), however on the mixed-gender metaphor theme . . . maybe it's time we used your 'given' name, Amy - may cause a little less confusion then :t:

Thank you so much everyone. loads more stuff to come. The pencils cost about 4 pound for a big box of them! I want some derwent but they sure are expensive!
Haha, and yes, my name doesn't really give anything away!

to save confusion, you can call me Amy :D

Last edited:
White tailed sea eagle, in coloured pencils (but the background colour is watercolour)
drawn from a photo I took of a captive bird last year. I would love to see one in the wild, but I'll have to wait for that!
IMG_1636.JPG

Excellent work!

Well done Amy; you certainly seem to be making those coloured pencils work for you. It's all relative; as an old birding accomplice of mine used to say, 'it's no good having the world's best binoculars if there's an idiot on the end of them!' Similarly with artists' materials. There is always a degree of skill involved and this work - particularly the lizard - shows that you have it in spades! There are lots of websites and blogs devoted to working in coloured pencils and everyone is keen to help but, most of all, just keep pushing and challenging yourself. Keep the atworks coming, it's a pleasure to see them:t:.

LL

Well done Amy; you certainly seem to be making those coloured pencils work for you. It's all relative; as an old birding accomplice of mine used to say, 'it's no good having the world's best binoculars if there's an idiot on the end of them!' Similarly with artists' materials. There is always a degree of skill involved and this work - particularly the lizard - shows that you have it in spades! There are lots of websites and blogs devoted to working in coloured pencils and everyone is keen to help but, most of all, just keep pushing and challenging yourself. Keep the atworks coming, it's a pleasure to see them:t:.

LL
. . . what he said . . :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back