• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwaters, NZ (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

May I please ask for opinions on the identity of these shearwaters seen in New Zealand? They are two different birds. Reasons for the ID(s) would be very much appreciated because I'm stumped. I know what they are supposed to be, but I'd like to understand for myself.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 150
Thank you very much, Brian. I snapped these birds on a pelagic out of Kaikoura. The skipper, who was evidently an old hand at this and who I would therefore assume to know his stuff, called both birds (and indeed all the dark shearwaters we saw) as Short-tailed Shearwaters. However, on reviewing the pics later and trying to confirm the ID, I did think that both bills looked on the long side. Also, the pale underwings on the first pic seemed to fit Sooty better. Hence my query. Maybe I should add that both pics were underexposed and I have lightened them a bit, but surely that should not alter the ID? I note that both birds in the pics show a darker head with paler chin, which Sibley implies would tend to favour Short-tailed. I could imagine that being far from conclusive, but since I have no experience of Short-tailed I'm in no position to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back