• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

Forgot to mention the nesting coot in my own Rahasane summary. A first for me to see coot nesting out there.

Dont suppose you managed to see any sandpiper Dermot?

Few pics from the weekend. Went looking for the Dippers at Oughterard with no luck and Tom Chadwick sees them on Saturday as he is driving past|=\|

Did get a tick in the form of a Demoiselle Agrion along the river.

Other shots taken a Rusheen on Saturday.

Attachments

• DSC6725 260709.jpg
    DSC6725 260709.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC6726 260709.jpg
    DSC6726 260709.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01617 260709.jpg
    DSC01617 260709.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC01634 260709.jpg
    DSC01634 260709.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC01620 260709.jpg
    DSC01620 260709.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 40
Back from Cork now so I should visit Rahasane soon. Saw A sparrowhawk fledgling being fed by parents, and a kestrel hovering by the seashore. Egrets and herons evrywhere. Went Chough searching but no sign unfortunately.

On Galwaybay Fm, the Keith Finnegan show (30/07/09) an email was read out. Where a women in the Ballinsloe area confronted some men who were trapping finches. They told her to f of on mind here own business.

Bog Insects

Some insects from the last week or so.
Large Marsh Grasshopper (I think)
Keeled Skimmer (fairly widespread on the bogs out here)
Bordered Grey, scarce species restricted to bogs also.

D

Attachments

• Grass.jpg
    Grass.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Keeled Skimmer.jpg
    Keeled Skimmer.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Bordered Grey.jpg
    Bordered Grey.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 43
Quiet enough at Traught with a few Dunlin and Greenshank. Leucistic Lapwing the most interesting thing at Rahasane with 19 Little Egrets and a Common Sand.

Good day out yesterday. Managed to twitch a Wilson's Petrel at the Bridges of Ross. Well done to John on picking out what turned out to be the last one of the day and the only one the two of us saw after a dash from Galway. 27 in total there yesterday. Mind boggling stuff.
One Galway birder spent 13 hours on the cliff there yesterday. Would be great to hear a report.

Bridges of Ross.....some spot!

Was a nice twitch for the wilsons and also a few others down there for the 90 mins we spent on the cliff.

Will be a definite return visit in the coming weeks, and this time it won't be a mad dash! (10 mins later and we would have missed that wilsons petrel....:eek!:)

Many thanks for the lift mr. Chadwick....and stopping for food-me belly thought me throat was cut! :eat:

185 Cory's Shearwater - a single bird seen off Doonloughan near Ballyconneely. Definitely a spot to keep an eye on for some seawatching but winds would have to be blowing W or NW. Wind was SW and there were streams of Manxies offshore.

Checking through the latest Birdwatch Galway News, excellent as always, noticed one addition to the county List.

186 Snowy Owl, Inishturbot 8th June: (Tim Gordon).

Rory
The one of the best place for seawatching in Galway is Ballynahown, which is beyond Invern. However the easiest place for you would be Silver Strand and you would most certainly need a scope or at least binoculars.

On a walk near my home I saw a large group of starlings. i took out the scope and saw that they were a pale, light brown colour all over and spotless except the wings which were coloured like perfectly normal starlings. not all of the starlings displayed this but several certainly did. Is this normal when they moult or something odd?

Rory,

The starlings were prob young ones, they will only mould into the spotty adults later on next spring.

Tranleur today was fairly active with good numbers of curlew and redshank. The highlights being Greenshank, Barwit and Whimbrel. 3 Dunlin also present with a little summer colour showing.

On further towards Tawin, the best was a group of 6 Greenshank all together and 5 Wheatear including 2 very young looking birds. What the tip of the island lacked in diversity it made up for in numbers with large groups of rook, jackdaw, house sparrow and linnet (no twite!) and wood pigeon around the place. A half hour sea watch from there produced 1 Gullimot and 1 Stormy and a heafty pile of sheep sh1t on my boots.

2 wheatear and sevral greenshank at rusheen. Went to cork to see a chough and get my list to 86. Saw two along with dunlin, oystercatcher and sandwich tern on old head of kinsale. I have free time tomorrow, while im here does anybody know where to go birding in South Cork?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back