• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

brown bird w/reddish wing patch (1 Viewer)

DOUBLEJK

I saw one of these at my bird feeder todat and can't find an I.D. for it...
It is 4-5 inches long...brown streaked feathers all over with a darker brown streak above eye's....also has a slight reddish wing patch....any help appreciated....

Could be any of American Sparrows. I have seen Chipping Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and American Tree Sparrows that could match your description.

Individual bird links:

Chipping Sparrow:
http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/spec/spec202-268.html

American Tree Sparrow:
http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/spec/spec202-267.html

Song Sparrow:
http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/spec/spec202-291.html

For easier time ID'ing this bird of yours, please give us more detail, such as bill shape and size, maybe a photo if possible, anything, Even change you location ("USA") to something more specific, like City, State (Due to many species being year-rounders in one part of a state and never in another part of the state), that can help us.

Could also be a House Finch adult female, or Purple Finch adult female. There are tons of American Birds that match your description.

NOTE TO ALL NEW MEMBERS POSTING IN ID FORUM: Please help us help you. Without your descriptions and/or photos, we can't help you. Please be as descriptive as possible. Even if you think that a certain feature on your bird is a feature on all birds, it is of utmost importance to us that you tell us about the feature, no matter what. Descripbe the bird's appearance, action, feeding habits, what type of terrain you saw it in, where the bird was found, was it at a feeder, etc... Don't leave anything out.

Whew!
Anyway, DOUBLEJK, If you follow everything above, we might just be able to help you out quicker than without a photo or a concise description.

Soory...didn't get a photo....but it was wren sized bigger... about half agian as big and more mottled brown than the sparrows you linked....and definitely had a reddish wing patch but not bright like on a red winged blackbird...it was very subdued but noticable....
was the same mottled brown on it's whole body....front and back
I'm in eastern Colorado....

Hi Doublejk,

It could be a young male Red-winged Blackbird (one born last year), which would be streaky like a female but would have a bit of red wing patch starting to appear.

I'm pretty sure, yeah. Those pics are all Red-winged Blackbirds. I don't think the females have any red on the wings (I've never seen any, at least), so that pic on the middle-right is probably depicting a younger stage of juvenile than the one on the left.

edit - actually, the pic on the left could be a full grown male in winter plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back