• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our Brown Thrasher (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
God only knows how long this bird was sitting opposite me when I finally saw him. These are usually extremely reclusive in nature.

Attachments

• 1228brnthrash.jpg
    1228brnthrash.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 174
brown thrasher

A friend of mine had one in her yard in Houston today, first time to see one here. I had one last year, seen none this year.
Did have an adorable pine warbler feeding today at the cornbread.
Wanda

Aren't they gorgeous? I really love their colors and you captured him so well!

I've had one at my feeders (both in the tree and up on the fence post) most of the past month or so. Now, the Monster Mocker chases him away. It's so sad, that Mockingbird really dislikes him. He will chase him all over the yard and into the trees. I miss seeing him.

They are quite large Tony. Here's a description for you.

Brown Thrasher
Toxostoma rufum

Description 11 1/2" (29 cm). Rufous-brown above, white below with dark brown streaks. Curved bill, long tail; yellow eye. See Long-billed Thrasher.

Voice A variety of musical phrases, each repeated twice; call a sharp smack!

Habitat Thickets, fields with scrub, and woodland borders.

Nesting 4 or 5 pale blue, brown-dotted eggs in a large, coarsely built nest of twigs, leaves, and rootlets lined with grass. The nest is usually near the ground in a dense, often thorny bush.

Range Breeds from southeastern Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and northern New England south to Gulf Coast and Florida. Winters in southern part of breeding range.

Thank you Donna. I will see them at my feeders during the breeding season but seldom at any other time. There is still plenty of woodland area here for them to forage.

Thank you Tammie, and, I hope you get to see one soon.

Thank you Peter, they do have neat markings.

Thanks Sal, it is a neat place to learn all about the birds.

I find it so strange Wanda that I have yet to see any warblers at my feeders or suet. Can't figure that one out.

Thanks guys. They blend in so darn well with the fall and winter surroundings. I had all I could do not to laugh when I looked up and saw him on the branch. They so seldom just perch.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back