• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope advice needed please! (1 Viewer)

MV Owner

Dear All,

I have just introduced myself in the hello section.

We love to visit Pembrokeshire each year and enjoy looking at all the seabirds. We are also going to visit Skomer Island this year which really is a treat. When in Pembrokeshire our birding is generally in daytime conditions and perhaps but only sometimes in the early evening. Additionally, my wife also likes to watch the birds on the feeders in our garden (only around 15m away)

We have a pair of Opticron 10 x 42 wide angle binoculars that have proved useful but we are now looking to perhaps purchase a scope.

We are looking for impartial advice on what type and model of scope to purchase. We certainly like the Opticron binoculars we have bought and like the brand. We will need the scope to be mounted on a tripod that reduces down to a useable height of 40cm (for sitting on out kitchen table) but also to a standing height for use when out in Pembrokeshire.

We are looking for a scope with a zoom facility and an angled eyepiece. The scope will never be carried for more than 1Km (probably by me!) so I dont want to pay alot more for the scope and tripod to be ultra lightweight.

Of course budget always comes into play, We are looking to spend no more than £800 for the scope and tripod combined and would be happy to get something second hand (as long as reputable) or new.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and Kind Regards

MV

If you really like Opticron their MM scopes are very well regarded. I'd go for the MM4 60 and an eyepiece of your choice. Fixed magnification eyepieces have wider fields of view but a zoom (like the Opticron 16x-48x) gives flexibility. Most birders use a fixed of around 30x and have a zoom for distant waders on estuaries. Get an angled scope if you can get used to it (not difficult) as then you can buy a lighter (because shorter) tripod. Don't forget to factor in a decent tripod to your costings - the scope will be useless without one.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I would try to get a good 2nd hand ED scope... the Nikon mentioned above is optically not so hot - will be ok until 40x or so but not farther. Here's a test in a german magazine from 2007 - the Nikon is last of - the admittedly higher priced - field.

http://www.acctiver.com/downloads/Voegel_03-07_Spektivtest_70-75_low.pdf

Safe bets are Nikon Fieldscope ED, Pentax ED, Kowa models ending in a 3 (or 4 if you really want a straight), Zeiss Diascope, Leica APO Televid and Swarovski AT 80 HD or ATS HD. The latter three are probably not going to fit the budget though...
The Opticron ED models are also good but seldom seen used.

Regarding straight vs. angled, I prefer the latter - easier to get a high enough tripod and better to use with multiple persons - a straight scope at the wrong height is very uncomfortable to look through.

Regarding tripods, it is a good idea to get sth a bit more sturdy. Half of the recommended weight (which is usually calculated for cameras with a normal or short tele objective) is a good rule of thumb plus a fluid head. Three leg sections are better than more as the joints not the most stable part and also with more sections the lower tubes get very thin. Also it helps if the tripod is tall enough to use with the column down or mostly so. An extended column is usually very wobbly.

Joachim, happy owner of a 30 year old Kowa TSN-3 with a modern Opticron SDLv2 zoom

Last edited:
Guys thanks for all your help indeed. In the end I went for an Opticron MM5 and SDL V2 eyepiece. The view through it is outstanding! Thanks everyone, very greatly appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back