• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Many congratulations Martin, a great find.
Thanks also to Cristina for all the information and to Chris and Mike for your sightings, some super birds there. Sorry about the wind and rain but I have just been looking at the weather charts and things look good for some more super-rare birds to turn up here in Mallorca. The strong winds are smacking straight into the east coast now and for the next couple of days as well.
Mike

Last edited:
Many congratulations Martin, a great find.
Thanks also to Cristina for all the information and to Chris and Mike for your sightings, some super birds there. Sorry about the wind and rain but I have just been looking at the weather charts and things look good for some more super-rare birds to turn here in Mallorca. The strong winds are smacking straight into the east coast now and for the next couple of days as well.
Mike

You have to make a prediction now

Hmm...I’ve done that before. When I was out birding in Mallorca with two well-known British birders a few years ago, I said that I fancied a Red-flanked bluetail turning up here. Luckily I said it out loud because not one, but two have since been logged.
I think I should quit whilst on top but I’ll stick my neck out so long as someone else has a go.
Cream-coloured courser.
Mike

I just found a Spanish Sparrow at Cases Velles! Quite a rarity in Mallorca, the last sighting was in 1993 and there have only been 2 records in total. Dani and Pep managed to take some better photos. We then realized it was not only one but two different birds!
Martin

The 2 birds came just 7 m from us!!!
And they both were in an spectacular summer plumage.
Great observation, it seems it is the second for Majorca.

Attachments

• 111 GorrioMoruno.jpg
    111 GorrioMoruno.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
Great find of the Spanish Sparrow. Went to Marastay as staying in port Alcudia and good selection of hirundines ( but no red rumpled swallow) squacco and purple heron and a peregrine with catch on the pylon.

A thanks to Carlos for the dried peach and good to meet other birders on the island.

Hmm...I’ve done that before. When I was out birding in Mallorca with two well-known British birders a few years ago, I said that I fancied a Red-flanked bluetail turning up here. Luckily I said it out loud because not one, but two have since been logged.
I think I should quit whilst on top but I’ll stick my neck out so long as someone else has a go.
Cream-coloured courser.
Mike

Maybe I set mine too high was looking at winds and are originatinting very Far East so I will say masked shrike or chretzmars bunting

Exactly my thoughts jredds21, I just didn’t have the nerve to go that far east so I played it safe.
If you look at where the winds are originating, then your predictions are just what I would hope for.
Mike

Just walked around my local patch on this wet and windy day.
I didn’t find that exotic Eastern waif but there were many new common migrants as well as resident birds.
Lots of new Nightingales singing away, Turtle dove purring, Wryneck singing, Stone Curlew screeching and a Cirl bunting calling. It was all rather nice.
Common Redstart, Woodchat Shrike and Whinchat completed the list together with lots of Common Swift overhead struggling against the wind.
Mike

Last edited:
Bocquer Valley today 0800-0930 very quiet migrant-wise - just a couple of Blackcap and a Willow Warbler. However had an Egyptian Vulture over and 2 Cirl Bunting

Then went to Casa Velles - a bunch of friendly Spanish ( and one UK) birders there - no sign of Spanish Sparrows today but a fly through male Golden Oriole ( one of 3 or 4 that other birders had seen) and an Osprey were compensation

There has been a regular osprey around the north east corner of Albufera too. It doesn't seem to have been put off by the weather too much. Whinchat yesterday in our hotel grounds plus 2 hoopoes. Masses of Hirundines too but not seen any red rumped swallows either.

A couple of migrants found in the pines at Albufereta this afternoon Wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher, also Squacco heron was showing for about 5 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_37atc3-1122x1122.jpg
    IMG_37atc3-1122x1122.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 56
At least 5 Spotless Starlings showing on the rooftops of Club del Soul first thing this morning.

Attachments

• 20190421_080230-660x880.jpg
    20190421_080230-660x880.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi. We saw a small songbird yesterday that we haven't been able to id. It was singing / calling 2m or so above the scrub and was almost hovering. Every time it "cheeped" its wings fluttered. We thought possibly Cisticola but unsure. The habitat was scrub in the edge of a lake. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks Tom

Highlights at s’Albufera today were 2 Wood Warblers (quite a few seem to be around right now!), at least 5 Garganey, several Squacco Herons, Common Redshank, Spotted Redshanks, Greenshank and beautiful views of an Osprey.

Yesterday, the fields between Es Capdella and Peguera held a remarkable number of hirundine of all 5 species, including double figures of Red-rumped Swallows, some of which came within two metres of us. Loads of Swifts overhead too, along with a group of 8 Booted Eagles. Two Hobbies, several Common Redstarts and Spotted/Mediterranean Flycatchers and a pair of Balearic Woodchat Shrikes were also seen. Incredible views of Red Kite too!

On Sunday at S’Albufera there was a collared pratincole, at least 3osprey, nightingale, and the usual suspects. Today looking very grey and windy -hopefully bring In migrants but other half doesn’t see as much compensation! Anyone know when the warmer weather due back?

Someone showed me his pictures of a Roller at Son Real he found yesterday morning. I went looking for it in the late afternoon, but the weather was making it difficult. I reckon it’s certainly not the only Roller around, so keep your eyes open and look at conspicuous looking birds sitting on wires!
One of the Spanish Sparrows has been found again in the same place at Cases Velles.
Other than that, lots of Common Redstart, Pied Flycatchers and some Common Whitethroats around, but no so many waders.

Morning all,

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone contributing to the thread the last few weeks. Got back from family hols at the weekend sadly :(

Managed to squeeze in some birding time whilst on the island, originally thought I would like to achieve 50 species and 10 lifers, instead I got 88 species and 11 lifers :D

I'm sure we'll be back there again soon though.

Thanks,

Nige

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back