• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Atlas 2007–11 (1 Viewer)

Seeing the above posts, I am know like a kid waiting for Christmas. Been off work all week, but back in on Monday - typical. Will put Mrs. P. on high alert.

We also just received our order of six pallets straight from the printer in Italy, customers who placed orders with us should start receiving theirs within a few days.

Mine arrived about 20 minutes ago, and is absolutely fantastic in every way shape or form. No-one will hear a peep from me in days - I'll be immersed in the book.

Mine arrived about 20 minutes ago, and is absolutely fantastic in every way shape or form. No-one will hear a peep from me in days - I'll be immersed in the book.

It sets a new standard for bird atlases. Indeed, the bar is now set so high that subsequent projects will have to surpass it in technology utilised and the clarity of the derived data. I'm in awe of the content and conclusions in the preliminary and introductory material. To Dawn, Simon, Brian, Bob, Iain and Rob, I hope honours and awards result!:t:
MJB

I got my copy on Saturday and it us outstanding and apart from highlighting the change in our avifauna since the last atlas(es), it will form a major tool in shaping our research priorities over the next 10+ years.

Mark Avery's is doing a Bird Atlas week on his blog. He's posted three posts thus far as follows -

1 - Sunday book review - view here
2 - Ireland - view here
3 - winter - view here

Interesting to see that Mark Avery is suggesting this could/should/will? be the last such atlas in Britain (i.e. published in book form); he suggests Birdtrack should evolve to provide such info online constantly. Don't quite see that myself: surely one major point of this exercise is (fairly) constant and known effort being put in by thousands following the same methods. (I may have misunderstood what he was driving at.)

"The range of the Egyptian goose has expanded by 1172% and is now found in every 10km sq in Britain and Ireland".
:eek!: The breeding distribution in B&I has indeed increased by 1172%. But the atlas indicates confirmed/probable/possible breeding in 6%, and winter presence in 10% of squares.

Just been delivered - stupendous !!!!!!

Congratulations to everyone involved in the production of this book - absolutely fantastic.

(And my names in it !!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back