• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in 2020, Coronavirus et al, an East European View (1 Viewer)

Unwelcome/unexpected end to National Quarantine

Lithuania's National Quarantine ends on the 17th, the natural end to this thread. But no difference now - I have been in hospital for almost a week and probably will be in here for quite some time ☹️

June did not start badly, still a few late migrants, best a Common Redstart, another Marsh Warbler on territory, a second Quail of the season and a singing Corncrake. Moreover, plenty of butterflies - including some of Lithuania's special species such as Bog Fritillary, Pearl-bordered and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, Baltic Grayling, Chequered and Northern Chequered Skippers and, rarest of the lot, Violet Copper (none on my land). Did see Swallowtail and plenty of common species on my land though.

At the beginning of the month however, I went down with fever, a totally unexpected event lasting a few days and marked by high temperature, cold chills and shaking. Had I developed Coronavirus? It seemed not - after a few days, symptoms disappeared and I felt fine. Not for long! Ten days later, the symptoms returned with a vengeance. Soon I felt so bad I knew I had to leave Labanoras and return to Vilnius.

To cut a long story short, I was tested for Coronavirus (negative), then as my temperature climbed to 39.8 C I was sent to hospital. Diagnosis tick-borne encephalitis, oh no! And that's why I am in hospital.
So, five days later, my neck, shoulders and arms hurt very much, especially at night ... I can't sleep at all. Overall, I am very tired and my arms, especially right, are now weak and it is difficult to use them. One positive, my temperature has dropped from 39.8 to 35.2.

Nice parkland outside the window, but I am too exhausted to sit up, so the bird list remains very impoverished. Not quite as good as Labanoras, the bird list currently sits at a mere 13, six of which are by voice.

Long-eared Owl - juvenile calling at night
Feral Pigeon
Common Swift
House Martin
Black Redstart - singing on roof
Wheatear - also singing on roof
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Great Tit
Starling
Tree Sparrow
Hooded Crow
Greenfinch
Chaffinch

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Jos. That's awful for you.

Hope you really turn the corner soon laddie.

Bloody hell Jos, you have to get better soon man, I enjoy reading your birding exploits too much for you to be hors de combat for any length of time! Wishing you well.

That is worrying news indeed. TBE is very nasty. Hope you make a full recovery and don’t suffer any lasting effects (keep resting!)

Thanks for the concern all, it is heartening. Well, I am out of hospital and am definitely in better shape than some days ago, but extreme fatigue still and repeated pain shocking through my neck and, more so, my arms. Can't sleep because of the pain at night, but tolerable during the day.

Hospital let me out on Friday morning and have since toured a few of my favourite butterfly patches, some superb species very welcoming after time in hospital - 36 species in all, including three stunning Poplar Admirals, 45 Knapweed Fritillaries, a couple of Purple-edged Coppers, a Clouded Apollo and several Idas Blue among the more abundant Common Blues.

Moving forward, due to go to a recuperation centre on Tuesday, carefully chosen in the south of the country near some of the best butterfly lands in Lithuania. Booked in for over three weeks, if all goes well I may leave in a week.

So, in conclusion, it's not been pleasant, but so far I have come through without any of the more serious consequences. I am lucky - there are quite a few in intensive care at the moment with tick-borne encephalitis.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back