• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars have aged better? … and worse! (A guide for young binocular fans) (1 Viewer)

Swaro Habicht 8x30.
Nikon SE and EII 8x and 10x.
Zeiss TFL 8x32.
Canon IS 10x42.
Leica Ultravid 8x20.
Swarovski 8x20B.
Nikon HGL 8x32 and 8x20.

Last edited:
Quite frankly there are quite a few out there that have aged very nicely!

1.Practically ANY Zeiss FL. All still among the best.
2. Swarovski Habichts and SLCs.
3. Nikon E and E-II
4. Leica Trinovid, Trinovid BA/BN, and all Ultravid models.
5. Could probably add the Swift porros. I've never had one. I'd buy one just to have one if I knew which to get! LOL!
6. Docter Nobilem porros

I'm sure I missed some...

My suggestion would be any of the the standard 8.5x44 HR/5 Audubon's that were issued from 1985 onward. But, since you wear eyeglasses eye relief could be an issue — just as it was for Steve Ingraham. I've got several in mint condition if you're really interested.

Ed

The Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 phase corrected would be my first choice. I have a sneaking regard for the Nikon HG 8x32 which I used as an alternative after my wife declared them too heavy, preferring the 8x20 version.

Looks like Joachim isn't a fan |=)| but think I'd agree with those who would suggest the Leica BA series which became the BN is still very much serviceable. Was quite an impressive package when introduced : internal focusing elements, lubricant-free focuser mechanism, pop-up eyecups, innovative dioptre adjustment, tough armouring that lasts and a good quality wide angle view with phase correction and good multi coatings all back in beginning of 1990s.

Hi,

I'm actually quite a fan of my Leitz Trinovid 7x42 BA which is not waterproof but weights a bit over 200g less than the brick. And it has the same internal focusing, lubricant free focus drive and diopter adjustment as the brick and is also quite well armored. Plus it looks pretty sleek when compared to the brick.

Obviously Uppendahl prism construction was getting too expensive and they had to do a radically new design due to that... but the result does not please my eyes and neck.

For those who can cope with a 900g pair, the brick still offers a decent view - but often the prices asked are a bit on the high side, maybe due to the red dot... so don't overpay.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hello,

I have two 8x30 glasses which still do good service: Zeiss 8x 30 Dialyt Classic phase coated and my 70 year-old Leitz Binuxit. The attached photo shows their comparative size. The Zeiss is not that much larger than the Leitz but it is narrower. I have wondered why so much interest was given for a "compact" binocular which is not that much smaller than a similar Porro. The Zeiss does not have true internal focussing. Rather the objectives move in their respective tubes, so it feels like a Porro. Zeiss has a good field of view and an odd focussing system with the dioptre wheel on the central axis opposite the focussing wheel.

The Binuxit is almost as old as I am but it does have coatings, making it almost modern and giving it a nice bright and contrast view. Its major virtue is its wide field but I had difficulties with eye relief. Perhaps twenty years ago, I got replacement eyecups with a few millimeters of folding rubber which was a big help. As I have grown older my myopia has diminished, but not my astigmatism, so in full daylight, but not at night, I can use the glass comfortably. It is also odd in being a centre focus binocular in having a reticle, or graticule. That was almost certainly installed in the factory or by the importer for a hunter but I do get to use it, occasionally.

I have a third older 8x30 awaiting an overhaul but I await its return from the tech.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Zeiss, Leica 2.jpg
    Zeiss, Leica 2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 38
Hi Arthur,

With apologies, I took the liberty of doing a bit of adjustment to make the detail of the two Zeiss' more visible . . .

John

Attachments

• Arthur's Zeiss 8x30's.jpg
    Arthur's Zeiss 8x30's.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 40
Hello All,

I am a fan of the Zeiss Design Selection 7 x 45 Night Owl (circa 1994), even if it does have a plastic housing.

I think it compares well with more modern binoculars.

LOL.

Cheers.

Hello,

I have two 8x30 glasses which still do good service: Zeiss 8x 30 Dialyt Classic phase coated and my 70 year-old Leitz Binuxit. The attached photo shows their comparative size. The Zeiss is not that much larger than the Leitz but it is narrower. I have wondered why so much interest was given for a "compact" binocular which is not that much smaller than a similar Porro.

I know which of the two I could easily fit into any coat pocket, and which of the two I wouldn't even try.

I know which of the two I could easily fit into any coat pocket, and which of the two I wouldn't even try.

Hello Mark,

Putting a binocular in a coat pocket is a novel concept to me but I am sure I could fit the Binuxit in my winter coats. LOL!

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back