• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

´Spotting scope , ED or not ED ? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hi
I would like to buy a spotting scope to make observations of birds and other distant reasons, my question is whether to buy a larger achromatic spotting such as the Celestron Ultima or Trailseeker 100mm or a smaller 80mm but of better optical quality such as the Regal 80mm .. ..
Which of them would give me more brightness, resolution and sharpness? Which of them gave me a clearer visual image at maximum magnification 60X?

Thank you very much
Wachi.

...my question is whether to buy a larger achromatic spotting such as the Celestron Ultima or Trailseeker 100mm or a smaller 80mm but of better optical quality such as the Regal 80mm...

The bigger one can be brighter in _very_ low light, but the ED is a _huge_ advantage for a sharp clear view. Go ED.

--AP

I agree with Alexis....the ED glass can be much sharper. Not sure on those two models you mentioned so can't be sure, but I know I have had both the HD (or ED) glass on the Swaro 80mm ATS scope and what a huge difference the ED type glass is.

One word of warning is that some manufacturers 'toss out the word' ED.....and make it sound like that since they use ED glass, they compare to any 'better' priced scope. But not so.... All ED glass is not the same. They might all use some materials and some components of ED glass but since there is no true ED formula or grade, you can get easily fooled by the term "ED".... .ED glass for one cheaper scope is not ED glass of a more expensive scope. Not all coatings are the same etc....

So keep that in mind. Depending on the brand, there might be very little difference between ED glass and non-Ed glass with the exception of the term which is tacked on...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back