• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spitsbergen (1 Viewer)

meles

Has anybody done a wildlife cruise round Spitsbergen? I am planning this for next Summer and would like advice on best time to go to maximize chances of seeing birds, polar bears and walrus, and also which boats are recommended (or not!). Does anybody know how rough the sea is up there?

Hi Meles,

In 1998 I worked as a guide one summer on the RV Professor Molchanov. The cruises were organised by Oceanwide Expeditions.
Usually the ships start in mid June and the season ends in end August. For seeing most of the birds and mammals I would recommend an earlier start, certainly not August. June or July, well this depends on the ice which is very unpredictable.

We had polar bears on all trips, although it's more difficult to find them when the ice is gone. Most (14 on one trip of 10 days) we had early July.
Walrusses were easier later in the summer. On the first trip in June we had a group passing by. When the ice is gone and the ships can approach the island of Moffen (landing not allowed) they are pretty guaranteed. As long as there is still some ice the chances of finding one or two on an ice shelf are also pretty good.

Auks (Brünnich's Guillemot, Little Auk) are also easy to see, especially when the Hinlopen street is ice free (usually early July to mid July). In August they are finished with breeding and you will find them at sea.

You see, it's not so easy, as it depends very much on the ice which changes every year. Still I would recommend you early or mid July.

Try to get on a smaller ship (maximum 50 passengers or so) as your chances to see something are much better on them. Also check if they are doing zodiac cruises and walks as some birds or mammals are much better to see then.
I certainly can recommend my former company (http://www.oceanwide-expeditions.com/
but there are also other good ones. If you need more precise information or if you have a question just pm me.

Enjoy your arctic experience then

André

Hey Andre, I made a post about Red Phalarope. Maybe you can help. Next July I am going with Oceanwide in early July 2019 for the Polar Bear but am also keen to see Red Phalarope. I heard about the 'dog kennels' in Longyearbyen. Can you advise please? Cheers.

Hey Andre, I made a post about Red Phalarope. Maybe you can help. Next July I am going with Oceanwide in early July 2019 for the Polar Bear but am also keen to see Red Phalarope. I heard about the 'dog kennels' in Longyearbyen. Can you advise please? Cheers.

On a trip there in early July a few years ago there were at least two pairs of Red Phalaropes breeding on the marsh between the road and the sea on the Longyearben side of the 'dog kennels',so you could walk out from the town to them as they were in the 'safe' area.
Tom Lawson.

Not sure if 20 years old gem is really useful.....;)
I do remember seeing them at the ponds near the airport (actually mating on my rubber boots...) and close to the dog kennels, probably the very same place Tom mentioned.

André

Hi Rockjumper

Grey Phalarope is the accepted common name on this side of the Atlantic. Not the best name, all three Phalaropes are grey in winter and the breeding plumage of the species in question is RED! but hey ho, it’s our name and we’ll be keeping it;-)

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back