• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-headed Wagtail, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Connor Rand

Norwich resident, Holme devotee
Hi all,

this Grey-headed Wagtail/intergrade was found at West Runton, Norfolk yesterday evening by a couple of friends and myself. As can be seen from the attached image their is some white flecking/marks behind the eye, similar although seemingly to a lesser extent (particularly in front of the eye) than on the recent Kelling bird http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery12&start=25

So, is either the Kelling bird or the attached bird within the variation for thunbergi and how far does the variation in this ssp. extend? If it is a hybrid/intergrade, what is it likely to be with (perhaps flava)?

I know nothing is clear-cut with Wagtails but any suggestions/pictures of similar birds greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Grey-headed Wagtail.jpg
    Grey-headed Wagtail.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 224
I agree teunissen both with the identity of the bird and Bird Boredomness ;)

Variation inside a subspecies is enough IMHO to explain many so-called hybrids or intergrades (true intergrades do exist of course)

haha, thanks!
(It is actually time for me to write something new on that blog. In the meanwhile so many new interesting things happened.. )

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back