• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi from Norfolk ID. (1 Viewer)

Davebutterflyman

Can anyone id these fungi taken from various locations in Norfolk last week.Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

DSCF6728.jpg

DSCF6601.jpg

DSCF6549.jpg

DSCF6557.jpg

DSCF6617.jpg

DSCF6132.jpg

Dave.

Hi Dave difficult to identify fungi without knowing on what they were growing and the gill colours, turn the sample over and take a pic of the gills it makes identification easier.

Any here goes, given english names as apposed to latin;-
1 Orange peel fungi
2 Amithyst deciever
3 Brown rim rollup (poisonous)
4 ? looks in last stages of decay.
5 could be a Field mushroom
6 possibly an Inocybe.

PeterK

Hi Dave difficult to identify fungi without knowing on what they were growing and the gill colours, turn the sample over and take a pic of the gills it makes identification easier.

Any here goes, given english names as apposed to latin;-
1 Orange peel fungi
2 Amithyst deciever
3 Brown rim rollup (poisonous)
4 ? looks in last stages of decay.
5 could be a Field mushroom
6 possibly an Inocybe.

PeterK

If you know Aleuria aurantia as the Orange Peel fungus, then I suspect you are wrong with no. 1. These specimens clearly have gills, but A. aurantia does not. I don't have any idea what they actually are though!

No 2 I think is a boletus of some sort as I can see no trace of gills. Amethyst Deceiver should have a purple, and much slimmer stem, too.

I think 3 and 4 are the same, but your guess of the species is as good as any.

Sean

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply Sean.

I'm totally stumped by the first one as well and i must admit my first thought was orange peel fungi.I have looked on Rogers mushrooms and used the visual key and the other key (the name eludes me at the moment!) and nothing seems to match.Does anyone know of any other UK fungi id websites?

Hi No it aint Orange peel fungi, but I dont know of any other fungi that colour and that shape???????. One of my books apparently does show gills, but the other doesnt, should have read both!
Cant find a Bolete that colour either, so sorry mate, looks like I need to look more carefully at the pics.

Yours Peter

I don't know the UK fungi but do have a few images from NA. I do have a picture of Orange peel and also wondered if you get Lobster Mushroom, Hypomyces lactifluorum My images are here Fungi Just a part of my nature site.

I know sweet fa about fungi, but, looked in my book and came up with the following ???

1. Camarophyllus pratensis / Hygrophorus pratensis

Thanks for all your input.

You could have something there Alan and i have just looked up Meadow waxcap and there are striking similarities.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back