• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helm Guide to Bird Identification: A Quick review (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Helm Guide to Bird Identification – Vinnicome, Harris & Tucker &

It arrived this PM so here's my initial thoughts: -

Thoroughly updated & revised version of the 'MacMillan Field Guide to Bird Identification'

Better selection of species (for British birders) than in the original “MacGuide” (now including Yellow-browed Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Arctic Redpoll, etc). Some illustrations imported from the later “MacBirders' Guide”, but others seem to be new. Inevitably, a few disappointments – for example no illustrations of Iberian Chiffchaff or River Warbler (in the original) – although both had ID texts.

Irritatingly, the text of species covered only descriptively did not note that there were no illustrations of the relevant species.

More thorough treatment of difficult complexes – e. g. shrikes, large gulls (esp. Caspian).

Larger format means individual illustrations larger & points easier to see.

Generally better printing than the original, but some plates too dark – not usually an issue, but Pallid Swift so dark to be un-identifiable as such.

Up to the minute taxonomy.

Good current 'status'commentary for UK

Text in a single block, not in columns as before – I found this less easy to read. Annotations now in clearer typeface

Whilst the text was clearly largely based on the original, it had obviously been reviewed and amended where needed.

Better and more comprehensive than the recent 'Birds ID Insights' from New Holland

An absolute must by for those without the original who should order it NOW. Those who do have it will need to be fairly laid back not to do so, but should certainly have it on their birthday/Christmas pressies list.

Don't own the original version so can't compare but the first impression is very good.

I'm pleasantly surprised how detailed the species accounts actually are. Few of accounts which I did study more thorough are almost on level of van Dievendijk's 'Advanced ID' book - which actually is also referenced. And that brings to another strong point of this book - usage of recent publications for references. So it's definitely one step higher than 'Birds ID Insights' mentioned by John - much much more useful information.

Though it kinda seems that Passerine section is a bit less detailed? But maybe that's just the first impression. Anyway - book looks great and is 'must buy' for those who don't have the first version. :t:

It's certainly very good! Perhaps, if they have the rights to it, they'll re-issue/revise the companion guide to European/Middle Eastern birds ....

Just received my copy, and first impressions are very favourable.

But one thing that strikes me, given the unusually open-ended title (as with the original Macmillan guide), is that there's no clear indication of the scope of the book on the front or rear covers or in the preliminary pages. Only on page 9, halfway through the introduction, is it eventually stated (in small print) that the book addresses regularly occurring British species (although it will obviously be useful in a much wider context).

This is clearly not an issue for those familiar with the highly regarded original version, but greater clarity would surely be helpful for less-experienced potential purchasers who might be unaware of the book's heritage.

Cheers John, original was an excellent guide, so definitely worth upgrading to this one by the sound of it.

Common for books and photographic eq., you don't upgrade any; you just place the old on a shelf and buy the new ... as I have both the old Mac's I certainly will find a place for a new one! And the other one, when/if it appears.

The European/Middle Eastern guide is better in this regard, and to those away from the UK probably better for the species selection naturally.

Thanks for the info - actually tried to find a reasonably priced used copy some time ago but didn't succeed. Looks like not much has changed in that regard - at the moment I'd better spend those £50+ on Hadoram's Sylvia warbler guide :smoke:

I've now had time to go through the book more carefully. Some plates are reused from the later 'eastern' Macguide and some reformatted originals, but many are new (and better than in the earlier version e.g. Sylvia Warblers).

A run through of the new species covered (some simply transferred from the second guide) as follows (though I might have missed one or two!):-
Entirely New Species Covered (compared to the first original guide)
Snow & Ross's Geese
Cackling & Canada Geese
Brent Geese
Mandarin & Wood Duck
Lesser Scaup
Eider (fem. and imms.)
Bittern & Night Heron
Egrets
Pallid Harrier (fuller illustrations from later guide)
Golden & Sea Eagle
Rare stints & peeps
Great Snipe (new illustrations of snipe)
Greater Yellowlegs
Caspian Gull
Masked, Brown &Turkestan Shrikes plus badius Woodchat (new illustrations)
Steppe Grey Shrike
Red-rumped Swallow
Cetti's Warbler
Blyth's Pipit (all pipits re-illustrated)
Buff-bellied Pipit
Radde's & Dusky Warbler
Hume's, Yellow-browed & Pallas's Warbler
Blyth's Reed & Paddyfield Warbler
Syke's Warbler
Thrush & Common Nightingale

Significantly Fuller Treatment
Taiga & Tundra Bean Goose (same illustrations)
Gos & Sparrowhawk
'Buzzards'
Falcons
Arctic Redpoll

Text No illustrations
Pacific Diver (other divers now shown in flight)
Northern Harrier
American Black Tern
Oriental Turtle Dove
River Warbler (despite being illustrated in the original!)
Iberian Chiffchaff
Moltoni's Warbler

Although presumably aimed at the British market, it pretty much covers all the main 'confusion' species found in northern Europe. The possibility of a Mediterranean & Eastern companion volume will only be helped by good sales of this volume!

Last edited:
It's an excellent book but I can't help feeling that the species in John's 'Text No Illustrations' list should have been illustrated.

Sean

It's an excellent book but I can't help feeling that the species in John's 'Text No Illustrations' list should have been illustrated.

Sean

Yes, it's an odd decision which surely wouldn't have been too difficult to rectify ... perhaps they're saving it for the second edition! It'd have been even better if they'd covered the dozen or so 'obvious' missing species from western Europe (some dealt with in the second guide).

Very good summary John and echo many of my own thoughts (especially single column text, dark plates, lack of 'not illustrated'). I don't know why they didn't put all plates on the right hand side of page spreads - I know I prefer plates all on one side as a traditional guide andI can't see why they couldn't have done it here.

I guess my biggest gripe is that, as Jos states, the Middle Eastern book was heaps better and they missed a real opportunity in combining the two in to a single volume. Now that would be very tasty.

Only a few minor errors as far as I can see so far (only really glanced through it and not read thoroughly in anger) one being reference to record of Olive-tree Warbler in Britain.

Very good summary John and echo many of my own thoughts (especially single column text, dark plates, lack of 'not illustrated'). I don't know why they didn't put all plates on the right hand side of page spreads - I know I prefer plates all on one side as a traditional guide andI can't see why they couldn't have done it here.

I guess my biggest gripe is that, as Jos states, the Middle Eastern book was heaps better and they missed a real opportunity in combining the two in to a single volume. Now that would be very tasty.

Only a few minor errors as far as I can see so far (only really glanced through it and not read thoroughly in anger) one being reference to record of Olive-tree Warbler in Britain.

Thanks Steve. Combining the two books seems so obvious that I did wonder if there might be copyright issues. I'd broadly agree that it'd have been preferable if the plates had all been on one side (the right hand side) except for some excellent double page spreads.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back