• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus EC 20 teleconverter (1 Viewer)

I did not express myself completely clear I think. Pana jpgs at factory settings are a little less vibrant than oly jpgs, and the white balance may be slightly different too. You can easily change the "film" setting to vibrant and get something closer to oly, but some people claim that they cannot live with the white balance difference.

That is why I said that "some people" has a problem, not that there is a problem:
1) I don't think pany jpgs are problematic
2) any decent post-processing program can add vibrancy and change white balance if you think it is needed on your jpgs, it is more difficult to subtract
3) personally I prefer using raw

Niels

I use it constantly and it's always on my camera for bird shots with the large 300 2.8. The problem with other lenses is you just lose too much light. But it can give very fine results; here's an osprey I photographed a couple of months ago. I crank ISO up a bit to get a higher shutter speed and have been very happy with the combo. Another option you might consider is the Bigma - I used that for a while too but no tele on it, but you are getting some nice length.

Attachments

• z osprey 2 resized.jpg
    z osprey 2 resized.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 263
I use it constantly and it's always on my camera for bird shots with the large 300 2.8. The problem with other lenses is you just lose too much light. But it can give very fine results; here's an osprey I photographed a couple of months ago. I crank ISO up a bit to get a higher shutter speed and have been very happy with the combo. Another option you might consider is the Bigma - I used that for a while too but no tele on it, but you are getting some nice length.

Very nice catch here Paul! Looking forward to see how the incoming E-M1 will work for you :)

Very nice catch here Paul! Looking forward to see how the incoming E-M1 will work for you :)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it too. My main hope is better shooting at higher ISOs. Not sure how the autofocus will be with the four thirds lens and adaptor and teleconverter, but hopefully not much worse than the E5 which has been fine for the most part, though as is the case with most cameras as it always focuses in that mode you get 1 good shot of the bird and 10 that are deleted. Mainly though I'm hoping to crank ISO higher for more birding opportunities for catching birds in the shade or on a cloudy day. Ran into that problem in June trying to photograph a Kentucky Warbler, a rare bird for Minnesota as we are too far north for them to nest here. It was cloudy and very tough to photograph, but with a high ISO I could have probably gotten sharper images. It's not bad, but you can see some noise on there and this guy is in the shade.

Attachments

• z resized kentucky.jpg
    z resized kentucky.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 284
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back