• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laughing or Bonapartes Gulls (1 Viewer)

kingzig

I've been seeing some Gulls in South Florida this month with Black heads and what look to be dark bills, which I would think would be a male breeding Bonaparte's gull but the guides say it is too early for breeding and Florida isn't a breeding ground for Bonapartes or Laughing gulls. Any ideas?

Plenty of Laughing Gulls are getting black heads by late February in Florida and some are have complete hoods. The Bonaparte's I see are still in winter plumage, but I would suspect that some are getting black now. Franklin's Gull is rare here, especially in late winter/early Spring. Laughing Gulls commonly breed in Florida.

Andy

Last edited:
There's a huge lot of variation between individuals when 'hooded'-type gulls get their summer hoods. Over here, the first Black-headed Gulls start getting their dark hoods by the end of December, the last not until April or even May. Was looking through a flock today, and about 5% had full hoods, 30% partial hoods, and the rest still fully winter plumage.

There's a huge lot of variation between individuals when 'hooded'-type gulls get their summer hoods. Over here, the first Black-headed Gulls start getting their dark hoods by the end of December, the last not until April or even May. Was looking through a flock today, and about 5% had full hoods, 30% partial hoods, and the rest still fully winter plumage.

Agree with this - we caught 150 BHG at our gull ringing (banding) session last Saturday and at least 15% had full summer hoods, but about 25% had no hint of head moult, with the rest in between.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back