• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera / lens combo for Kowa 883 (2 Viewers)

dominic.patagonia

Hi folks
Am finally biting the bullet and going to start digiscoping. Its just too many times when I'm birding and don't feel like lugging my 1Ds and large lens around. I've had a Kowa 883 since they came out and use a combination of prominar wide 30x and the PR. 25 - 60x that everyone uses.
Despite years of DSLR photography I'm thoroughly confused by digiscoping.
I've never had a mirrorless camera or anything like that.

What I thought i was going to do, was spend quite a bit on the new Panasonic Gx8 with the 20mm f1.7mm that everyone seems to think is great.

But I see a Sony a6000 would offer a bigger sensor, similar compact size, with a Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.

I guess my question is this - do both these set ups work with a Digidaptor on my Kowa kit. Is there some reason why for digiscoping the Sony wouldnt be btter (and cheaper). From my photographers perspective the bigger sensor vs the 4/3 on the pana seems to make sense....

many thanks for helping me and sorry if these are silly questions.

Dom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back