• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gnatcatcher (1 Viewer)

roxby

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with reliable sites for California Gnatcatcher Near LA, I will be travelling up to Ventura so could also visit sites en route. Any help would be nuch apreciated, also any nearby sites for Yellow Billed Magpie?

I'm really on an Arizona trip (post Hawaii) and will only have 2 or 3 days in CA.

Many Thanks

Malcolm

I saw California Gnatcatcher near the Trump Golf Course on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. There are quite a few sites for them along the coast there.

For Yellow-billed Magpies, I'd recommend checking the latest sightings on eBird. You'll need to head north of Santa Barbara for those though.

Gnatcatchers at Newport Eco reserve

We recently had Gnatcatchers at Newport Eco reserve not that far south of LA.
Nearest place to Ventura for Yellow-billed Magpie was Gonzales a small town near Pinnacles NP but probably safer to head to Pinnacles as that seems a more reliable site for them.

Checking ebird and limiting the observations to only this month is a good way to find locations that are currently working.

Regarding the Gnatcatcher: always difficult, but more so later in the day, so be out early. It is a federally threatened species, playback is considered unethical with such a species, so learn their song to know where to phish for them. At this time of year, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher occurs in almost the same habitat - often the slightly less dry part of it. I saw and heard Cal Gnatcatcher a couple of days ago, but closer to San Diego. (and had Blue-grey within few hundred meters from the location of the Cal Gnatcatcher).

Niels

Last edited:
In May this year, had a pair of gnatcatchers at both crystal cove, in the last car park on the left(#4 I think?), and around the small car park on back bay drive, upper Newport bay. Both sites are in Orange County. Knowing the call helps but the local mockingbirds and thrashers also know it! Los alamos park, c1.5 hours northwest of Ventura, is meant to be good for the magpie, but I failed to see them there on a quick stop, but it was early evening and wasn't really looking for them as had seen them further north

Solvang is the southernmost reliable spot for Yellow-billed Magpie in Santa Barbara County. Driving up and down Happy Canyon Road or Figueroa Mountain Road should produce several.

Yellow billed Magpie will not be found south of Solvang. And then, can be very elusive. Or frigging annoyingly common… haha!

Cal. Gnatcatcher. There is a small colony of hard to find gnatcatchers behind LAX in the Blue Butterfly protected zones in El Segundo. The afore mentioned spots in Palos Verdes are usually pretty productive. I had one male CA gnatcatcher at Bonelli Park this weekend.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded with useful advice, I really do apreciate it. I am now looking for sites as close to Los Angeles as possible for Mountain Quail and California Thrasher.

Again any help will be much apreciated.

Cheers

Malcolm

Heard the quail in the San Gabriel mountains, about mile 40, from just past the red box station. The thrasher was easy at crystal cove

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back