• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth and Sony v1 incompatability (1 Viewer)

Jack Daw

Therapy of the green leaf
I wonder if any one one could give me some advice on the following problem;
I have at the moment an Optolyth tbg 80 scope , a sony V1 camera and an LE 52mm universal adapter ; a marriage made in hell !!!! I have had this system for over a year now and try as as I can I cannot get a decent image !!!!! I think for one the v1 screen is very small and i find it very hard to get a sharply focussed image !! The Optolyth scope has been fantastic it has a 30mm w/a angle lens and for ordinary birding it has been great. However I have read for good digiscoping results you need ed glass- which my scope has not got. However with the big 50 coming up shortly I have decided to treat myself to a new 'scope the Zeiss 85 with a zoom lens - but still want to have a go at digiscoping. So do I ditch the camera and lens adapter and start all over - more expense or do get a new camera with a bigger screen and more pixels and keep the adapter. There are so many new cameras on the market now - is it worth the expense or do I persevere with the Sony. Is there any one else with a Zeiss set up - any help would be greatly appreciated
RegardsJack

I wonder if any one one could give me some advice on the following problem;
I have at the moment an Optolyth tbg 80 scope , a sony V1 camera and an LE 52mm universal adapter ; a marriage made in hell !!!! I have had this system for over a year now and try as as I can I cannot get a decent image !!!!! I think for one the v1 screen is very small and i find it very hard to get a sharply focussed image !! The Optolyth scope has been fantastic it has a 30mm w/a angle lens and for ordinary birding it has been great. However I have read for good digiscoping results you need ed glass- which my scope has not got. However with the big 50 coming up shortly I have decided to treat myself to a new 'scope the Zeiss 85 with a zoom lens - but still want to have a go at digiscoping. So do I ditch the camera and lens adapter and start all over - more expense or do get a new camera with a bigger screen and more pixels and keep the adapter. There are so many new cameras on the market now - is it worth the expense or do I persevere with the Sony. Is there any one else with a Zeiss set up - any help would be greatly appreciated
RegardsJack

Jack, you've made a good choice in your new scope but if you always rely on focussing via the screen rather than through the scope you always stand the risk of not geting the best focus you can get, try focussing with the scope and then putting the camera in place, I know it's slow and cumbersome and you'll lose many shots because the bird has flown but give it a try on something static and see how you get on. If you find this works better then think about a swing-out adapter for your new scope and perhaps a new camera if your Sony doesn't give you good results. A cable release is also a great asset in getting sharper photos.
Digiscoping isn't easy so anything you can do/get to make it easier helps.

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back