• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in a big city, Barcelona (1 Viewer)

We're booked for September again and staying in Poblenou so I'll probably have another look at the park, this time with trousers and maybe some bug repellent. Not sure about a Tarragona trip yet. The timing of La Merce has changed because of the expected elections, so there will be a day in BCN with not much happening. If that turns out to be the 21st, then we might head south that day and see what's passing overhead.

We've added Tarragona for a couple of nights (21st and 22nd). We couldn't get our normal hotel so we're back in the Lauria. I'm thinking that the steps of the cathedral or the seaward end of Rambla Nova will be my best bets for getting a good look at a lot of sky.

El Parc del Poblenou

I'm a week earlier than last year and the good news for any birders visiting in autumn (or local birders looking for migrants) is that last year's bumper crop of Sylvia's was not a one off. At the end of Rambla del Poblenou turn left when you reach the trees and there are several low (less than 3 metres) ridges with grass, scrubby bushes, some pines and almond (?) trees. At first I thought there wasn't much about although I could hear a soft 'tuc' call that sounded promising but after a few minutes warblers started to appear in numbers with one small bush holding at least 12. I'm going to check autumn plumage for the family but I think mainly Sub-alpine, Spectacled and some Common Whitethroats.

Might have time for some tomorrow before castellers in Placa de Sant Jaume.

Well I didn't have time but it was a magnificent day of castells in Placa de Sant Jaume. It's almost light and we're probably going to be awake until 3 a.m. but I think I'm going out soon.

Plenty of warblers again this morning plus wagtails and hirundines over. I think I got photos of Sub-alpine and possibility Melodious which I might post if they are vaguely useful. Will need to check them on a decent sized screen 1st.

Raptor passage over Tarragona on 22nd and 23rd was disappointing with only one each of Marsh Harrier and Honey Buzzard on 22nd. 23rd showed lots of hirundine passage with small numbers of Crag Martins and Red-rumped Swallows accompanying the commoner species and some Alpine Swifts too. Still plenty of Alpine Swifts over Barcelona and a quick visit to Parc del Poblenou yesterday at midday found us several Common Redstarts and a Blackcap. There were other warblers present but views were less good than earlier in the day.

Today we're off to Barcelona satellite town Molins de Rei. Our main objectives are to see some Castellers groups we haven't seen before and the town's extraordinary beast of fire, Camell, which is worth a look on YouTube or similar but as we will be about level with the Tibidabo raptor passage I'm hoping for something over.

Nothing in the skies over Molins de Rei so far other than a hundred or so large gulls at about 6 p.m. that reminded me of the odd sight of 39 Greylags over Parc del Poblenou this morning.

It's a five minute walk across a could of busy roads to the Parc Agrari del Baix Llobregat along the river. I added a few birds to my list but no evidence of passerine or raptor passage. Cetti's Warbler was expected, Common and Green Sandpipers not surprising (on the weir in the Barcelona direction) but Gadwall was slightly less predictable.

I'm guessing most visitors to Molins de Rei will be on business. If you come for a Correfoc like us, then make sure it's not your first. Last night's was definitely not entry level. Some bits were borderline terrifying.

Today perhaps El Prat de Llobregat or Tibidabo.

That was auto-correct mangling "a couple of busy roads".

We chose the easier option of Tibidabo. Bad decision. The Tibibus was running from the Desigual at the bottom of Rambla de Catalunya. There was a queue when we arrived and we didn't get on the 1st but they're every 20 minutes so we should only have had ten to wait. It was about an hour, with no explanation given. From the stop we could see low cloud over the church that we agreed would bring the raptors closer.

Upon arrival we quickly saw a small falcon or hawk heading off south west, before we'd got our binoculars out and as we hadn't eaten settled into chairs at the restaurant (Masia?) to watch the skies whilst having a very late breakfast. Nothing. No eagles, no harriers, not even any Swallows. The café used to be OK but they now have touch sensitive machines on which to order your food and drink which as you will imagine are just idiot traps (they are permanently staffed by presumably the most patient people in Spain) but any reasonably intelligent being who can read one of the dozen or so languages offered should be able to cope. The food quality was mediocre, with the tortilla being the highlight.

After eating we wandered around the church terrace and decided that three Euros for the lift wasn't worth it. We saw a Hobby zooming past on the inland side, presumably wondering where its prey might be and Crested Tit on the walk back to the bus. There are Alpine Swifts around the Molins de Rei Ibis.

If the local Correfoc was scarier than most, last night's Correcuita del Camell was in another league. Some of the time we didn't know whether to run, scream or simply curl up into a ball. You can buy a decent red Priorat from the barrel here for €1.55 a litre, which helps.

Castells today so less of the fear factor.

I forgot that we saw a Peregrine from the bus on the descent from Tibidabo.

No birding yesterday because a morning giants parade was followed by a delightful afternoon helping in a small way the castellers of Matossers de Molins de Rei (castellers groups are forming in many parts of the world as people recognise the value of this fascinating activity. Down to the river again and pretty much the same as before although a Kingfisher shot downstream over the weir. Back home today. Might get the train and have a look at Terrassa first.

We went to Blanes instead. Should have stuck with the original plan. A few terns seen from the train, one Shag at Vilassar de Mar and plenty of cormorants was about it. We're back in 3 weeks time for Santa Ursula in Valls when we will almost certainly get some proper birding in.

My first visit to spain and after a few days out with stephen in the city last week, Park Guell seemed to be the best spot with a fresh Hoopoe found along with Monk parakeets, Blackcap, Chiff-chaffs, Sardine Warblers, Firecrest, Swallows and Crested Tit along with a nice collection of Yellow-legged gulls by the waterfront

If you are still in Barcelona, a j, a quick look at the Poblenou coastal park for migrating warblers might still be rewarding. A few stops on the metro from the centre.

Barcelona in October 2015

The weather was again good when I was in Barcelona at the start of the month. I only stayed 3 nights in the city this time because of the expense of hotel rooms, having booked my holiday less than 2 weeks in advance because of a wait for a hospital appointment. I did manage to visit my 3 main birdwatching areas, Parc de la Ciutadella, Riu Besòs and Parc Güell, during my 2 whole days there.

On my first morning in Barcelona, 2nd October, I went to Parc de la Ciutadella, where I saw or heard 21 bird species, plus 31 escapee greylag geese. Other birds that I saw or heard included mallard, black-headed gull, jackdaws, coal, blue and great tits, blackbirds, and both species of starling. I also heard 2 short-toed treecreepers, one in the “usual” area by the lower lake and the other between La Cascada and the neighbouring part of the Zoo, but more of a surprise was to hear a cetti's warbler by the lower lake, maybe my first in Parc de la Ciutadella. I then continued along Passeig de Lluís Companys, hearing a greenfinch, and from Arc de Triomf I walked to catch the tram at Auditori i Teatre Nacional. In between I walked along Avinguda de Vilanova past Parc Estació del Nord. Birds along here included 15 alpine swifts, 2 serins, a white wagtail (heard) and more collared doves than I saw anywhere else in the city this time.

From the tram halt at Sant Adria de Besòs I walked to the beach via Parc del Litoral, inland along the walkway at road level as far as the second set of bridges, and then I walked left to catch a tram from the halt at La Catalana. There were more wading and water birds along the river than last time, with 17 of both mallard and moorhen, 3 grey herons, 5 little egrets and a common sandpiper. Kingfishers were often to be seen or heard along the river, including 2 seen at once. Apart from hearing 7 cetti's warblers, I saw or heard fewer warblers than usual, with just 1 blackcap, 2 Sardinian warblers and a willow chiff, all of which were in the most overgrown area just in from the river mouth. A Sandwich tern flew about off the beach, and other species seen along Riu Besòs (total 23) included black-headed gulls, white wagtails, common starlings and just 5 tree sparrows.

I stayed in a hotel on Avinguda Marquès de l'Argentera, which is between Parc de la Ciutadella and Pla del Palau. The 10 species that I saw or heard in and around Pla del Palau included 2 or 3 ring-necked parakeets each day. Much more of a surprise was to see 2 ravens flying over Avinguda Marquès de l'Argentera and Pla del Palau early on the morning of the 3rd. I assumed that the ravens had been roosting in Parc de la Ciutadella and, indeed, eBird includes lots of records of up to 4 ravens there in the previous 2 years.

After breakfast on the 3rd I caught the Metro to Vallcarça and walked to Parc Güell the usual way. As usual when visiting the park from that direction, there were lots of birds to see almost immediately. Thus, on either side of the first little hill, Turro de les Tres Creus, I saw a crested tit and a flock of 8 long-tailed tits.

It was great to have met up with pandachris in Tarragona last month. Following his observations last year, we observed some migration in and over that smaller city, so when I was at Parc Güell I climbed the little pointed hill above the school with the hope of more of the same. What a morning! I was up on the summit for just over an hour and saw 4 species of raptors – sparrowhawk, goshawk, kestrel and hobby. Also flying past were 32 swallows and a house martin, and about 30 alpine swifts could be seen over the hill to the NE. There were also lots of small birds up on the ridge, migrants including single common redstart and northern wheatear, while a flock of 5 cirl buntings flew past. Corvids up there included 18 magpies, and both a raven and a jay flew past. I wonder if the raven was one of the birds that I saw from the hotel that morning? Other species seen or heard in Parc Güell included coal, blue and great tits, blackcaps, blackbirds, green and goldfinches, and serins. Altogether I saw or heard 32 species in Parc Güell.

A number of the more common bird species were present in all of my 3 main sites (Parc Güell, Parc de la Ciutadella and Riu Besòs): yellow-legged gulls, feral pigeons, woodpigeons, collared doves, monk parakeets, robins, Sardinian warblers, magpies, house sparrows and, a bit more of a surprise, grey wagtails.

One slight disappointment this holiday was that I didn't see any Mediterranean gulls, despite visiting places where I'd seen them previously. I walked round Port Vell on each of the 3 afternoons and “dipped” with the species there, too. There was less activity in the commercial fishing part of the port, which might have been the reason for their absence. Other gulls which were there, mostly loafing on roofs, included up to 6 lesser black-backs, and I saw a kingfisher on the first 2 visits. It perched on Moll dels Balears both times.

I added one more species from the train on the way to the airport the next morning, with seeing 2 cattle egrets. Altogether I recorded 51 bird species during my short stay in Barcelona, plus the escapee greylag geese.

Last edited:
Back today for Santa Ursula in Valls. Six Glossy Ibises overflew the airport as we got off the plane and we saw a Cattle Egret from the car as we left the airport. Bird of the day was a Hoopoe just outside Vilafranca del Penedes.

Back today for Santa Ursula in Valls. Six Glossy Ibises overflew the airport as we got off the plane and we saw a Cattle Egret from the car as we left the airport. Bird of the day was a Hoopoe just outside Vilafranca del Penedes.

Good on you Chris. Hoopoe was another species that I "dipped" in Catalunya this time. I did see a Mediterranean gull here in Peel, Isle of Man today. It was spotted first by Neil Morris - thanks, Neil.

Last edited:
Lots of Hoopoes yesterday and Friday plus vast numbers of starlings. A lot of Mistle Thrushes yesterday, too. Cloudy all day which perhaps impacted migration behaviour.

And finally, not Barcelona at all and I'll perhaps start a new thread on the relevant local patch forum, but after about 7 trips to Valls for castells we finally found some spots for birding.

The first is the Ruta de la Capona near El Pla de Santa Maria, a shortish walk that takes in a set of "Barraques de Pedra Seca" or dry-stone huts in a lowland plain consisting of a mix of woodlands, heath and agriculture. There were lots of birds there yesterday. Most prominent were thousands of Song Thrushes, presumably migrants. In some areas every bush had several thrushes (Mistle Thrushes in smaller number). Plenty of Western Bonelli's Warblers and Woodlarks, Crested Tit and Firecrest around the car park (a km or so from the Santes Creus - El Pla de Santa Maria road, turn off at the obvious tourist sign for Barraques de Pedra Seca) and many other species. Lots of pipits and wagtails in the sandy fields, abundant Jays and the commoner warblers. I reckon this will be worth a visit in the spring. The huts are quite interesting two. We noted about 10 species of butterflies still on the wing in late October and as the rock is limestone I'll bet there are plenty of orchids earlier in the year.

http://www.culturaipaisatge.com/cat/pdf/cip4_capona.pdf

Additionally, there is a small wetland reserve, with limited parking, in the south east corner of the Poligon Industrial of El Pla de Santa Maria. There's a small hide but it requires key access. As it's a scarce habitat in the region I would imagine that it gets the odd interesting species. We saw one fly-through that we just couldn't identify.

Barraques de Pedra Seca

They look interesting. That is an unusual place for a wetland reserve, too, in the corner of a Poligon Industrial. Does anyone out there know how to borrow the key or otherwise visit the hide?

You know, I "dipped" Song and Mistle Thrushes and Western Bonelli's Warbler on my holiday! I did see a Blue Rock Thrush at the edge of Els Ports de Beseit in the far south of Catalunya, a species which I have actually seen on more of my holidays in Spain and Portugal than I have Song and Mistle Thrushes. The best place that I know for Blue Rock Thrush is actually quite close to Barcelona - Falconera, the cliff on the coast just south of the village of Garraf. Stephen Christopher includes the site in his birding trips to Garraf; thanks, Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back