• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nubian or egyptian nightjar (1 Viewer)

markm

England
Seen October 18 just south of the Shams Alam hotel on the Egyptian Red Sea coast. In a dry wadi in the mountains . I posted it a couple of weeks ago
but didn't get a positive ID.

Attachments

• Img_7769crop.jpg
    Img_7769crop.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 95
Perched Nightjars are fiendishly difficult, you really need the call.

I'd lean to Egyptian too though for this bird, we can see the tail and if it were Nubian there would be some white visible.

Last edited:
The habitat is better for Nubian, I think - Egyptian is rarely found away from trees, even if there are only a few and they NEVER perch in them, or too far from water. They can also winter in plains with some grass, e.g. in Sudan. Here in the UAE they are most often found in farmland or desert areas with scattered trees. Mark's description of the habitat the bird was seen in matches the description in HBW - "typically dry, sparsely vegetated wadis".

The habitat is better for Nubian, I think - Egyptian is rarely found away from trees, even if there are only a few and they NEVER perch in them, or too far from water. They can also winter in plains with some grass, e.g. in Sudan. Here in the UAE they are most often found in farmland or desert areas with scattered trees. Mark's description of the habitat the bird was seen in matches the description in HBW - "typically dry, sparsely vegetated wadis".

It is also a perfect habitat for Egyptian in North Africa (I've never seen Egyptian in the Middle-East). I found Egyptian fairly common in Egypt, and Nubian is rare.

Not sure if there were any trees around , it was dark! But the wadis earlier in the evening had occaisional acacia trees and tamarisk? bushes. Photo was taken from the back of a 4x4 with the aid of a torch and flash but I never saw it in flight.
I'll put it as Egyptian.
Thanks everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back