• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introduction and question to the aperture of scopes (1 Viewer)

I am tempted to give it a try. The splittable tube in the TLAPO804 should make it easier.

Any requirements I should have on the magnets, by the way?

I just used two little magnets out of cheap bit holders. You can get stronger ones though, and it wouldn't hurt. I would keep the one inside as small as possible. Careful! They are surprisingly easy to lose! I would keep the outside one on the inside of a band of some sort, something that moves easily but also keeps it in place.
The outside diameter of the larger iris is 76.5mm. My tube inside is about 84, so there is not a lot of room to play with. Your tube is no doubt larger.
What I can't tell from the pictures is whether the adjustment is done by sliding or turning the lever. I have looked at a bunch of pictures on ebay, and the larger ones all seem to be turning, so you would have to drill a hole in the tube once you determine the exact position with cutout baffles of the right diameter depending on which one you get. It would in the end be far better as you could adjust it very easily and precisely.
Edit: Looking at more pictures on google images I would say they are more likely to be of the sliding type.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back