• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

Good number of Raptors today with 5 buzzard peregrine kestrel and sparrowhawk , 2 jack snipe 4 snipe 2 reed bunting all in settling ponds, little egret 3 sky lark 5 meadow pipit on the meadow , chiffchaff and green sandpiper.

Spring has finally arrived at Tices with the arrival of our first returning LRP seen this morning in the workings!
Plenty of raptors again - Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, & best of all a splendid Red Kite drifted across the workings & over the A31. Other birds seen/heard included a singing Chiffchaff, pair of Shoveler on the meadow, 5 Teal, 2 Snipe, Lapwing, 2 Skylark, 4 Meadow Pipit, 3 Stock Dove, & 2 Reed Buntings.

John.

Spring has finally arrived at Tices with the arrival of our first returning LRP seen this morning in the workings!
Plenty of raptors again - Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, & best of all a splendid Red Kite drifted across the workings & over the A31. Other birds seen/heard included a singing Chiffchaff, pair of Shoveler on the meadow, 5 Teal, 2 Snipe, Lapwing, 2 Skylark, 4 Meadow Pipit, 3 Stock Dove, & 2 Reed Buntings.

John.

John,

cracking news. Let's hope they find somewhere safe to nest but the lack of water may prohibit this. Bring on the rain and quickly.

Rich

John.

Well done John,

The first I've seen reported in Surrey if you don't include Staines.

Kevin.

As Kevin said, lovely male Wheatear on the workings first thing. 2 Chiffchaffs. 2 Snipe. Lots of pied wags skylarks and meadow pipits on the workings.Heard a green sandpiper but couldnt find the LRP,the weather wasn't great but the rain is desperately needed.

Two smart male Wheatears between the workings & meadow this morning, couldn't locate the LRP though. Three Chiffchaffs, 3 Bullfinch, 6 Skylark, 12+ Meadow Pipits, Snipe, Lapwing, 4 Teal, Buzzard, & Reed Bunting also noted.

John.

At last seen Little Ring Plover this morning by the settling pond after dipping for the last two days if it is the same one . Also 1 male Wheatear 4 Chiffchaff.

There is another Tices Nature Reserve tidy up this Friday 23rd at 10 am till 1pm meeting at the water rail gate all welcome.

Rich H.

First Visit Planned

Hi

I live just a short distance from this site & have only just found out about it. Just a few questions which I hope some one can help with,

are the bird location typically close enough to photo.

Where should someone start on this site as from google earth there appears to be mulipul lagoons

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

To start with park in Badshot Lea next to the old Badshot Lea Garage, (now boarded up), & you should see the entrance gate across the road. Follow the path & bear round to your right, you will see the meadow in front of you. Then follow the path adjacent to the fenceline until you come to a gap in the hedgerows which allows you to view the flooded meadow. At this time of year it's possible that passage waders may be present on the floods. From here continue on until you come to a clearing, here you will see an embankment from which you can view the workings & meadow. Please note that until advised by the landowner, there is no access to the workings or meadow, it is anticipated that in future there will be a designated route through the site. Also as birds such as Skylarks are now nesting on the meadow any disturbance is unwelcome. Due to the distance of the pools & workings from the embankment, photography is not easy unless digiscoping is your thing, either way a telescope is advised for viewing.

Hope this helps,

John.

Best place to park is on Badshot Lea Road outside an old petrol station at cSU867488, and cross the road to a footpath. This area is something of a maze of paths, but keep to the right, and you should come across the viewing mound eventually (other viewpoints are along the fenceline).

Tice's is definitely NOT a photography site, as all the workings and wet meadow are distant, and require a scope to view. Tongham GP adjacent might be good, although it usually has more run-of-the-mill birds.

Crosspost with John, but its good to see very similar advice!

It also crosses my mind, that some of the regulars may be willing to show you around Tony (I am not all that regular!).

Hi Tony,
The satellite picture on Google Maps (not seen Google Earth pictures) was taken in about 2008 or 2009. Last year the site started its restoration plan which is still 'work in progress'. Unfortunately to do this work the workings was almost completely drained. With the lack of rain this winter the workings remain mostly dry. The flooded meadow pools are nearly at a normal level and hopefully will last to the end of April. Also the slit ponds have also changed during the restoration.
As John says any photgraphs of birds in the meadow/workings would be distance. There are still birds to see if you follow the paths along the River Blackwater towards Tongham GP.
What type of birds are you looking to photograph?

Kevin

I see the long term weather forecast does not bode well. Little rain over the year according to Sky. We really do need a deluge of biblical proportions to allow successful Tern. BH Gull and Little-ringed Plover. Looking forward to seeing you all in mid-April, hopefully in the rain. Latest bird on Garden List - Rufous-tailed Chat.

Last edited:
Today's tidy up was a success, nice also to see some locals taking an interest in the site. All in all much to be positive about.

John.

First Tony if you want me to show you around Tices please let me know your most welcome.
Second Rich you are right we need water. Could we employ superman to change the tilt of the earth. Looking forward to seeing and birding with you again.
Had a nice tidy up today thanks to john h and jim dunnaway looks so much better for Rich s return.
Management Group Meeting today was positive, Fencing to start to form foot path s and to try to keep dog s walkers out because of breeding ground birds .Signs to be erecte like take your shit home with . Awaiting funding to divert stream with over flow to workings? Also ? as to route. Bird hide when fencing done in one spot . Where would you chaps prefer far end or other , feed back would be good.
Green Sandpiper still around 3 Little ring about may be not log them again untill chicks arrive .
rich h.

First Tony if you want me to show you around Tices please let me know your most welcome.
Second Rich you are right we need water. Could we employ superman to change the tilt of the earth. Looking forward to seeing and birding with you again.
Had a nice tidy up today thanks to john h and jim dunnaway looks so much better for Rich s return.
Management Group Meeting today was positive, Fencing to start to form foot path s and to try to keep dog s walkers out because of breeding ground birds .Signs to be erecte like take your shit home with . Awaiting funding to divert stream with over flow to workings? Also ? as to route. Bird hide when fencing done in one spot . Where would you chaps prefer far end or other , feed back would be good.
Green Sandpiper still around 3 Little ring about may be not log them again untill chicks arrive .
rich h.

All positive news and looking forward to getting back. Rich, if you could arrange a litter pick during my leave I'll be more than happy to come along and do my bit. I think the hide should be errected where we used to watch over the workings - it has always proved a cracking area.

Rich

I think the hide should be errected where we used to watch over the workings - it has always proved a cracking area.
Rich

I'll second that suggestion Rich! Not much early this morning in the fog, heard the Green Sand calling somewhere in the workings & managed to locate one LRP. Also at least 5 Chiffies singing around the site & 3 Skylark over the meadow.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back