• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen scopes? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm looking at getting a second ( compact ) scope and have stumbled across the Vixen Geoma 52-S which seems an absolute bargain at around $US 150. ( here in Japan ). It seems to be a toss up between the Kowa 502 and this Vixen model ( which has interchangeable eyepieces unlike the Kowa ). Like I say it'll only be a second scope so I'm not expecting great things from either.

Vixen seem to make VERY cheap scopes ( 80mm ED at around $US 600 for example ). Does anyone use these scopes? Does the price reflect the quality? They don't seem to be popular/well known in Europe/N America.

Any feedback would be great.

Stu

Its the Opticron MM2 by another name (and colour)!. Look for threads for the Mighty Midget 2 for the info. There is a review of the MM2 in the reviews section

stuprice68 said:
Really!?!?

Are all Opticron scopes made by Vixen?
Stu

I looked on the WWW after someone else posted about Vixen scopes. I have an MM2 and recognised the 52s model you asked about. In previous searches on Vixens I only ever found one other scope, an 80mm with High density glass, but couldn't work out if it was another Opticron or not ( I also have an Opticron ES80GA as my main scope.

Thanks fellas.

Vixen scopes are really cheap here in Japan ( maybe less than half the price of the equivalent Opticrons ).

The MM2 with BOTH eyepieces works out at around 25000 yen which is about 130 quid.......cheaper than buying just the body at warehouse express. I had even been thinking of buying a MM2 next time I went back to the UK for a visit!!! That would have been a waste of money.

Alan-the only plus point of buying in the UK would be the black model ( very cheesy colour scheme here-O well )!!!

Stu

Buy one, Find an old wax jacket with elasticated cuffs, Cut off a sleeve and close up the cut end a bit . Thread the scope through and you have a waterproof case which hides the colour. You will have to cut a slit in it for thefocus adjustment, and maybe stitch a flap over the slit!.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back