• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawaiian Honeycreepers (1 Viewer)

'I'iwi (Vestiaria coccinea) x Apapane (Himatione sanguinea)

Jessie L. Knowlton, David J. Flaspohler, N. C. Rotzel Mcinerney, and Robert C. Fleischer. First Record of Hybridization in the Hawaiian Honeycreepers: 'I'iwi (Vestiaria coccinea) × 'Apapane (Himatione sanguinea). The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 126(3):562–568, 2014.

[Abstract]

Jessie L. Knowlton, David J. Flaspohler, N. C. Rotzel Mcinerney, and Robert C. Fleischer. First Record of Hybridization in the Hawaiian Honeycreepers: 'I'iwi (Vestiaria coccinea) × 'Apapane (Himatione sanguinea). The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 126(3):562–568, 2014.

[Abstract]

Very interesting. I think the 'I'iwi is still one of the least understand honeycreepers. At the beginning of the 20th century it was regarded as close relative of the Mamos (Drepanis) and now it seems that it is closer to Himatione.

TiF Update July 11

The genera Palmeria, Himatione, and Vestiaria have been merged into Drepanis. The genetic distance between them seems to be small (Lerner et al., 2011) and there is evidence of hybridization between Vestiaria and Himatione (Knowlton et al., 2014). Although I think the genera I use for the Hawaiian Honeycreepers are oversplit, I consider the AOU genera even more oversplit. I haven't gone further on the lumping because data on the extinct species is too limited.

I follow the recent AOU decisions (56th supplement) to split the Apapane, Akepa, Greater Akialoa, and Nukupuu.

Historical Biogeography and Extinction in the Hawaiian Honeycreepers
Robert E. Ricklefs*

Department of Biology, University of Missouri, St. Louis, MO 63121

*Corresponding author: e-mail: [email protected].
SUBMITTED: Dec 20, 2016
ACCEPTED: Mar 22, 2017
ONLINE: Aug 14, 2017

Abstract

Hawaiian honeycreepers, comprising an endemic radiation of passerine birds in the Hawaiian archipelago, have suffered losses of individual island populations and the extinction of many species as a result of colonization of the islands by Polynesians and, more recently, introduced avian pox virus and avian malaria. Here, I test the idea that populations have an intrinsic tendency toward extinction regardless of the cause. The distribution of each species before the arrival of humans in the archipelago was inferred from present distribution, historical records, and fossil remains. On the basis of these records, each species was placed in one of four stages of the taxon cycle: (1) expanding or recently expanded, (2) differentiating, (3) fragmenting, or (4) single-island endemic. Subsequent extinction of individual island populations was most frequent in stage 3 species, which had already suffered loss of individual island populations, suggesting commonality in vulnerability to extinction from anthropogenic and nonanthropogenic causes.

www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/693346

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back