• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carnioli (1 Viewer)

Carmiol Calvo, F. 1973. Apuntes para la biografía de don Julian Carmiol G. Revista de Agricultura (San José, Costa Rica) 45 (1-4): 33–38:
En el año 1875 la familia Carmiol sufrió un duro golpe; la muerte del hijo Francisco, de 31 años de edad, naturalista como su padre, y compañeros inseparables. Franscisco murió el 29 de marzo de 1875 a causa de un accidente fatal, pues fue atacado por una serpiente al sacarla de la jaula, debio a su dedicación a la ciencia.
/B

Here is the Mother's Day letter I talked about in a previous post. Its not clear by the scan, but the crown of flowers are real 1846 preserved flowers. It is quite a thing to see.

As you can see, it is signed by Julius Carnigohl (which should rest the case on the last name, as this is his handwriting), and dated 1846 (8 years before the trip to Costa Rica).

Because of the date, I now have a question on if it was Julius Carnigohl senior (Don Julian Carmiol), of his son (Franz's brother) who wrote the letter. I have a translation somewhere....

Attachments

• Page 1.pdf
    13.9 MB · Views: 31
  • Page 2.pdf
    14.4 MB · Views: 28
Because of the date, I now have a question on if it was Julius Carnigohl senior (Don Julian Carmiol), of his son (Franz's brother) who wrote the letter. I have a translation somewhere....

From the scan this can't be answered. It somehow depends on:
1) When did Johanne Charlotte Grassnick (1794-) die?
2) Which of the many names did Carl Christian Conrad Julius Carnigohl Prösell 1837-1895 use on daily business?

But consider if a 9 year (in 1846) old boy could write such lyrics and if this is the handwriting of a child? I tend to Don Julian Carmiol.

But consider if a 9 year (in 1846) old boy could write such lyrics and if this is the handwriting of a child? I tend to Don Julian Carmiol.

Wow, per my father, it was assumed that it was Julio Carmiol's letter (Don Julian's son). But what you say makes sense.

2) Which of the many names did Carl Christian Conrad Julius Carnigohl Prösell 1837-1895 use on daily business?

I am lead to believe that both Don Julian (Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl Grassnick 1817-1895) and Don Julio (Carl Christian Conrad Julius Carnigohl Prösell 1837-1895) used Julius for their daily business. I think this because both changed their name to a variation of Julius when they arrived to Costa Rica. Julius Carnigohl Grassnick became Julian Carmiol Grassnick and his son Julius Carnigohl Prösell became Julio Carmiol Prosell. At least they had the courtesy of changing their names differently to avoid a further confusion. So this doesn't really answer which Julius Carnigohl wrote the letter.

1) When did Johanne Charlotte Grassnick (1794-) die?

Now in regards to this, I found a death registry in Brandenburg, stating the death of a Charlotte Grassnick on 23-nov-1851. Now, she was married to a Samuel Rentzsch, but Johann Carnigohl (Don Carmiol's father) could have been dead (also no official death date on him) and Hanna Charlotte simply remarried. It would fit the date of the letter, plus, it would make sense that after having his wife die in 1850 and his mother die a year latter, he would decide to move to a totally different country than where his family had lived for generations...

Well, after asking around, I was mistaken. Apparently it is well documented that this poem was indeed written by the 9 year old Carl Christian Conrad Julius Carnigohl Prösell to his mother Auguste Prösell.

This was documented by Francisco Carmiol Calvo in 27 April 1973, in an article called Biography of Julio Carmiol Pröessel (around the date of the Revista de Agricultura article on Julian Carmiol).

The letter says the following:

Meiner
guten Mutter
aus
dankbarem Herzen
liebenddargebracht
von
Julius Carnigohl

Du, die mit bangen Muttersorgen
Mich liebend immer hast bewacht,
Hast mich bisher so treu geborgen,
Und nicht dabei and Dich gedacht.

Ich kann ja nur mit schwachen Worten
Genügen meins Herzens Drang,
Und aus den Innern tiefste Pforten
Dir zollen meinen heisten Dank.

Which roughly translated (and correct me if Im wrong here) says:

To my good mother of grateful heart,
affectionately dedicated by
Julius Carnigohl

You, who with mother's concern
Always with love you veiled me
You have taken care of me without rest
And forgetting about yourself
You only thought of my good.

I can only with weak words
Following the impulse of my heart
And of the most hidden insides
Express my deepest thanks.

This is a poem so I assume it sounds better in German.

Per the biography written by Carmiol Calvo, Julio collected the small flowers embedded in the paper from the forests in Prussia. The drying technique, which my grandfather did learn and showed to my father, involved putting the flowers and leaves against a paper, and pressing it for a long time inside a book. The theory is that the book pages would "suck" all of the water out of the leaves and preserve them for a very long time, which it is clear that it did. I'm sure there is more to it involved...

On a 9 year old kid being able to do this... Well I guess his father, Don Carmiol, being a master botanist helped him out with the drying technique. Apparently he was very clever, when he arrived at age 16 to Costa Rica he was already a graduated doctor and pharmacist (Im guessing education was not as age restricted back then as it is today).

Last edited:
On a 9 year old kid being able to do this... Well I guess his father, Don Carmiol, being a master botanist helped him out with the drying technique. Apparently he was very clever, when he arrived at age 16 to Costa Rica he was already a graduated doctor and pharmacist (Im guessing education was not as age restricted back then as it is today).

It might make sense to contact the natural history museums Don Carmiol had contact to. Maybe there we can find letters to compare the handwriting.

Reopening of the Carmiol mess ... sigh!

Sorry guys, sorry to disturb the peace and serenity (in what seems to be some sort of consensus), but after having spent the main part of last week (in frustration) trying to understand what happened, who the Carmiols (Father and Son) truly were, and how it all went down, I simply have to awake this slumbering thread, ... as I think there still remain (at least) some serious doubts, or possibly (straight down) errors, alt. obvious confusions and mix-ups, still present, still lurking around, in this very topic ...

But not regarding "Fransisco Carmiol" (the former Franz Carnigohl), and "his" bird (i.e. my main concern):
• Carmiol's Tanager (Habia) Chlorothraupis carmioli LAWRENCE 1868 (1870), OD in #8, as "Phœnicothraupis carmioli" [a k a carmiolkardinal, in Swedish, thereby my interest in this topic, and these guys].

I have no doubts what-so-ever on him, I believe we do have him in full, and that all is correct on his part; i.e.; "Fransisco Carmiol" [alt. in the South/Latin American, or Costa Rican way; "Fransisco Carmiol Prössel" (or ditto Proessel, if having trouble with the letter ö) ;)], born as (in short) Franz Carnigohl, on the 26th of June 1844, in Berlin, in (Prussian) Germany ... and onwards ... until he died 29th of March 1875, in San José, Costa Rica (after having been bitten by a snake).

That far all is well (and quite an achievement, I think), and here I could stop, but simply to get some more flesh on the bone (for my MS entry on Franz/"Fransisco") I would like to mention his Father as well, in some sort of depth (not only in brief, by name, but also with his full years).

And it's at this point, on the years of his Father I run into both trouble and doubt (simply as I cannot fit the different pieces together). The thing that still remain (in my mind) is the actual years of his father; "Don Julián Carmiol" (the former Julius Carnigohl. I´m far less convinced on the recent findings and developments in this thread, on the "new" years for his Father Don Carmiol ... and most certainly so, regarding when he's claimed to have died.

To keep it all on track; his father, the former German gardener, is commemorated (both with clear and out-spoken dedications) on/in:
• the Yellow-winged Vireo Vireo carmioli BAIRD 1866 (OD in #15) a k a Carmiol's Vireo [in Swedish, it's simply costaricavireo, which is far easier to explain ;))]
• the invalid (and misspelt!) "Chalybura Carnioli" [sic] LAWRENCE 1865, (OD also in post #15, and/or #1) [a synonym of the Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer ssp. Chalybura urochrysia melanorrhoa SALVIN 1865 (and as such it doesn't have a Swedish Common name)]
• • • • .... as well as several other taxa (mostly flowers)

This far, I tend to believe his full year still ought to be; "1807–1885" (exactly as it was earlier, in Jobling's Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird names (2010), as well as in most other earlier books of reference, also in the dear old (now defunct) HBW Alive Key, up until the 11th of November 2019 (my bold blue):
carmioli
[...]
● Julián Carmiol (born Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl) (1807-1885) German immigrant to Nicaragua 1853, resident and collector in Costa Rica 1854-1885 (Rafael Carmiol Murillo in litt.) (Vireo).
The day after (12th Nov. 2019) the HBW Alive Key was updated into:
carmioli
[...]
● Julián Carmiol (born Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl) (1817-1895) German immigrant to Nicaragua 1853, resident and collector in Costa Rica 1854-1895 (Rafael Carmiol Murillo in litt.) (Vireo).
... and it remained as such all the way until the Key was sadly shut down in May this year.

Though, I simply don't buy it, I think this is wrong (and I know that I´m on thin ice now, in dealing with Spanish texts, not understanding much of it) ...

But I still think that "our guy" the naturalist Don Carmiol (Senior) passed away in San José, Costa Rica, on the 6th of October 1885 ("... a los 78 años"/at the age of 78), as claimed by Francisco Carmiol Calvo (in 1973), see post #13. Though I agree that there could, might be some reasons for questioning the conclusion of his age; ... a los 78 años", at that point.

But, let's wait with that part, first; let's focus on when (and where) he died. To me it all looks like he actually died in that certain year (i.e. 1885).

How sure are we (as in 'dead-certain') of the "new" claim that "Don Carmiol" truly died in "1895" ("11 November 1895", at "Candelaria, Palmares, Alajuela, Costa Rica")?

Isn't that simply a mix-up with "Julián Carmiol" (junior, a k a "Julio"), Don Julián Carmiol's second oldest (or oldest surviving) Son (1837–1895, who is claimed to have died on the exact same day, in "Naranjo, Alajuela, Costa Rica) ... !?!

In most other cases when years have been in doubt, we (usually) haven't had different years, different Months, and different days!? And at (somewhat) different locations? Which we do seem to have in this case! [and yes, I know that Alajuela is (fairly) close to San José]. Either way; to me, it does look like this must be some kind of confusion ... wouldn't it be odd (at least fairly unlikely) that both Father and Son, Don "Julián Carmiol" (Senior) and his Son Julián/Julio Carmiol (Junior) both died on the exact same day ... !?!

Of course, they could both have died in an accident/natural catastrophe, maybe their house collapsed over their heads, or a land-slide, earth-quake, etc., but even if so, would such an accident have passed all un-noticed, wouldn't such a tragic coincidence have resulted in some kind of remark, in some text, in some print, somewhere? In my mind it sounds a bit far-fetched.

Also note that the FamilySearch page for Don Carmiol ("Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl ...") here, has been updated since we last looked at it, (in late 2019). Now it shows the same picture that Rafael proudly presented to us all in post #19 (of the "happy couple", at that point claimed to be a photo of Julius and his First wife Augusta), but today it's inserted in the entries for his children (7? earlier they/there were 6), i.e. in the entry for (as a portrait of) his Son (Carl Christian Conrad Julius) ... :eek!:

Either way; also consider the text/piece (by Carmiol Calvo, 1973, on p.38):
Además de los muchos y merecidos triunfus que disfrutó en su vida, podemos agregarle otro, post mortem: en la Exposición Nacional del 15 de setiembre de 1886 —casi al año de su fallecimiento—, sus hijas presentaron una colección de flores que obtuvo un Primer Premio (12).
... with a/the reference:
(12) Catálogo de los objetos que han figurado en la Exposición Nacional del 25 de setiembre de 1886, páginas 36 y 58. Francisco Carmiol Calvo, San José, enero 9, 1973.
In my mind, a Post mortem presentation, in 1886, talks strongly in favour of the Death year 1885.

Also note Polakowsky's remark (from 1889) regarding La Flora de Costa Rica, en Anales del Instituto Físico-Geográfico Nacional, Tomo 2e, pág. 177 (here) which (helped by Google translate tells us: "the Central American Biology has not made any mention of the name of Carmiol, who ... died in 1885". A text hard to write in 1889, if Don Carmiol died in 1895, don't you think?

A similar phrase is found in this book, from 1921/22, here, p.83-85 (all in Spanish):
La Biología Centrali Americani no ha hecho ninguna mención del nombre de Carmiol, que ha vivido desde muchos años en este país y murió en 1885. (1) ...
with a reference to:
(1) Anales del Instituto Fisico Geografico, San José de Costa Rica. Año 1888, tomo I, p.183
Or see the Paper La Flora de Costa Rica itself, by Polakowsky himself, in the Journal Anales del Instituto Fisico-Geografico Nacional (de San José de Costa Rica), from 1889, where we here (but beware, it's a large file, takes a while to download/open), on p.177, find the following short note (my blue):
En mi tiempo, esto es de 1875 á 1876, se encontraban en Costa-Rica sólo dos coleccionistas, Endres († 1877) y Carmiol († 1885), ...
I strongly doubt that Polakowsky would have added those crosses if he hadn't any good support/proof/reason for doing so.

This far I will stick to the years we had for Don Carmiol (Senior), the ones we had at the very beginning of this thread; "1807–1885". I feel pretty certain, at least on the latter (of his Death) ...

However, and as always: don't hesitate to convince me otherwise!

Björn

PS. Though I fully agree with Rafael's remark (in post #22) that Don Carmiol never truly were an "immigrant to Nicaragua 1853", the Family only arrived there, shortly, in December 1853, on their way to Costa Rica (where they arrived in January -54). From the very start of their trip their aim was to reach the latter country. Nicaragua was just a port, a place of transit, the closest/easiest way to reach the Promised land ...

PPS. To me it looks like Brother Julius/Julio/Julián (1837–1895) had a family of his own, in Naranjo, Alajuela (here).
--

Last edited:
Also note, simply to make things even worse, that Roy H. May in EN LOS PASOS DE ZELEDÓN (Historia de la ornithología nacional y la Asociación Ornithológia de Costa Rica), Second Edition, 2016, (here, on p.20) has him as "Julián Carmiol [Garnigohl] (1807-1886)" ... :eek!: !?! (note: my blue bolds, but it is his parenthesis and square brackets, not mine).

This certainly doesn't help, only making it even harder to convince any local Costa Rican ornithologists!

However, I would still bet on his death in 1885 ... (and without the G, of course).

/B
--

Last edited:
1885 it is!

Suddenly it struck me, in dealing with such a local "celebrity", a well-established citizen, long-term (foreign) resident, celebrated in Natural History, with several connections in/to both the US and old Europe, surely something ought to have been written, about his passing, in a local newspaper ...

And there it was!

I sure wish I'd found that one earlier, it would definitely have saved me some time, and some unwarranted pondering, as well as ditto writing (and re-writing) ... well, well, now it's found.

See the following Death Notice, published in the Costa Rican newspaper, Diario de Costa Rica, 7th of October 1885, the day after his demise (here, on page 4, or see attached JPG).

I'd say that's proof enough that he didn't die ten years later.

Anyone still in doubt?

Björn

PS. If someone feel like having a full copy, just let me know. If so use BirdForum's Private Message System (and send me an e-mail-address), simply as it's too big to post here (1MB).

Lucky for me (and us all) that they started to publish that particular newspaper, the Diario de Costa Rica, in that certain year ("Año I", 1885).
-

Attachments

• Diario de Costa Rica, 7 Oct. 1885 - page 4.jpg
    Diario de Costa Rica, 7 Oct. 1885 - page 4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 19
Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl was born in Berlin on 2 Jan 1817 to Friedrich Wilhelm Carnigoht & Johanne Charlotte Grassnick (attached C0), he was baptised on 7 Jan.

He was married to Charlotte Friederike Auguste Prössel in July 1836 (attached C1).

As we have seen Christian Friedrich Julius Carnigohl (aka Julian Carmiol Grassnick - using the Spanish version of his name) died on 6 Oct 1885 in San Jose.

His son Carl Christian Conrad Julius Carnigohl (Aka Julio Carmiol Prössel) was born in Berlin on 01 June 1837 to these very same parents (C3). His mother died in 1850 and the family immigrated to CR. Julio died on 11 Nov 1895 in Naranjo, Alajuela, Costa Rica (the only source of this I have is an ancestry.com family tree but presumably a newspaper from Naranjo would have this information).

PS - I see this is mostly covered in the preceding posts but thought I would put it down all in one place...

Attachments

• C0.JPG
    C0.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 16
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C3.JPG
    C3.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks Paul, for putting "it down all in one place" :t:

I´ll be back ... whenever time allows (hopefully the coming week-end, still not all convinced, re. the Birth of Julius/Julián, Senior).

We'll see ...

/B

Don Carmiol, born 1807/17 ... ?

And what about the Birth year of "Don Carmiol" (Senior) ...

Was he, or wasn't he, born in early January ("1st?", or 2nd of January) in "1807", as earlier claimed (repeatedly, all over), or was he instead, really, as the "new" claim ("beyond any reasonable doubt", as Rafael put it in post #34); born on the "2 Jan 1817" ... ?!?

"1817" certainly doesn't match an age of 78 años/78 years in 1885 (as claimed by Carmiol Calvo, back in 1973).

Another thing that still bugs me, that slightly disturbs the peace of my mind, is the words by my fellow countryman Carl Bovallius (1849–1907), who, when in his early 30's, had met Don Carmiol, several times in 1882; would he really have called him "an old German collector and trader" if Carmiol was born in "1817"? If so Don Carmiol would have been in his mid-60s when they met. An age of 75 would, in my mind, be a better match for this description. This said, of course, with the knowledge that the Tropics can age any European considerably, ...

Also consider (even if it's no proof what-so-ever, in neither way), that; in most cases Men tend to marry somewhat younger Women, more seldom the other way around, this in regard to his First wife Auguste (not Augusta?) née Prössel (allegedly born in "1811").

Yet another thing that talks against Julius/Julián (Senior) being born in "1917" is the/a now added first-born Son "Theodor Ernst Proessel" [without the Carnigohl part/namel!], recently added to the FamilySearch site/page (here, or see attached JPG, a guy who wasn't present when we last looked back in 2019), but now listed as born in "1833" (without death year, indicating that he might have died at an early age, or not?). Even if mother Augusta/e was born in "1811", she would have been about 22 in 1833 (a fairly likely age for a first motherhood, in those days), but this Kid would have made Julius (the future Don Julián) an exceptionally young father (if so only 16 years old)! Not unheard of, but ...? Also noteworthy is that Julius and his wife didn't marry until three years later (in July 1836). Would an illegitimate child truly have been accepted for such a long time (in contemporary Germany)?

Also consider the possibility; that if this newly added 'Theodor Ernst Proessel', truly was a First-born Son of Don Julius/Julian and Augusta/e (and not simply a miss-placed younger Brother of the latter), if born in in "1833" he would have been old enough to stand on his own feet in 1853, when the Family left for South America (maybe he simply didn't join them on their transatlantic trip). Who knows?

To me, the only (strong) thing that talks in favour of the later Birth year ("1817") of/for Don Julius/Julian (Senior), would be the age of his alleged Parents; Father Johan Friedrich Wilhelm Carnigohl (claimed to have born in "1790," no death year) and his Mother (Hanna/Johanna/Johanne Charlotte/Charlotta), apparently born in "1794" (no death year), but how sure are we, as in dead-certain, that their Birth years are fully correct? Also see the second attached JPG (for Julius/Julián's 'Parents'). Wouldn't it be odd with two cases of such extremely young Parenthoods?

On the other hand, I feel less and less inclined to believe anything told on that certain FamilySearch page. Sigh.

Time to reconsider? Or not?

This far I don't dare to claim more than; (Christian Friedrich) Julius Carnigohl/Julián Carmiol (1807/1817?1885).

At this point I´m (again) very close to deleting large parts of Don Carmiol's story from my MS. As "his" Vireo isn't really necessary to include (not in my text, about Swedish Common/Vernacular names), I could easily erase Don Carmiol all together, but I would like to keep him there, simply to give the entry for his Son "Fransisco" some context, body and back-bone, with additional (fun-to-know) facts. It's always a bit sad if, or when, one has to delete such parts (i.e. it's never nice to 'Kill your Darlings').

Has anyone checked or looked for a, or any, actual Birth record/s for that certain Date? In 1807? Paul? Martin? You both seem to know your ways in and around those old German Archives, just to be on the safe side, that we haven't been looking at an accidental occurrence of a Julius Carnigohl namesake? Even if highly unlikely, with such a (as I understand it) rare Surname.

It (sure) would be nice to put an end to this lengthy (and somewhat tedious) thread ...
:scribe:

Björn

PS. For what it's worth (as earlier pointed out/at); another (amateur) Genealogy entry (this time from/on/in MyHeritage), for mother Augusta (even if there with her Maiden name written as "Procel"!) is to be seen here, ... with her husband "Julian" (again) mentioned, as born "1 januari 1807", in Berlin, Germany.
--

Attachments

• Julius Carnigohl - FamilySearch.jpg
    Julius Carnigohl - FamilySearch.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Parents and Siblings.jpg
    Parents and Siblings.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
No replies, in a couple of days, thereby, as I´m about to close my entry on Carmiol (even if still somewhat vague, a bit hazy) ... here's a last (hopefully), final post in this drawn-out (and apparently vexed) topic.

Rafael (if you're still with us here on BirdForum, reading this); if it is like you stated it (in post #34); that "all the known Carmiol family stem from Carmiol senior's first marriage (Augusta Proessel)" [i.e. Augusta, or Auguste? Prössel], surely, if such is the case, you must be related to F. Carmiol Calvo? Maybe you should compare notes with him (if he's still around, of course)? Simply as there seems to be some contradictory claims in your recent research versus what he'd found out, and claimed (back in 1973).

If not possible, if and when in San José, maybe you (or anyone else of our Costa Rican friends/readers) might consider visiting the place where Don Carmiol himself was/is buried. According to Carmiol Calvo (1973, on p.38):
Sus restos se encuentran en el Cementerio General, en el Cuadro Los Angeles, lado oeste, línea segunda, mausoleo 16, ...
Hopefully there's an inscription to be seen/read, telling us when he was born.

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back