Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NatGeo binoculars?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 04:30   #1
MJHamilton

NatGeo binoculars?

I was puttering around the National Geographic website today and came across these bins for sale. Can anyone speak to the quality and value of these binoculars? I'm looking at the water resistant pair, because I've read some good reviews, but I'm also wondering if the mini pair might be acceptable for me.
I'm new to birding and I'm on a budget (US$150 MAX, preferably much lower) so might the cheaper pair be better for the short term until I can get a nicer set? Or should I go for higher quality over the long term and grow in to them?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 04:51   #2
MJHamilton

Forgot to post the actual link *doy*. Here it is: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...ars-and-optics
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 13:24   #3
normjackson

Those don't look like such great prices by US standards but I guess purchases there will be donating to National Geographic.

I guess you're looking at the porro model there? If you don't need close focus ability that should be the best way to get better optical quality for your $. Things are moving quickly mind, and at the upper end of your budget there might be some quite nice roof prism models to be had. The Zen-Ray Vista 8x42 is within budget as was the Sightron SII BL 8x42 recently. Hopefully someone from your side of the pond knows what's hot or not.

As regards porros, you might like to check out the Leupold Yosemite, Vortex Raptor, Kowa YF and Eagle Optics Kingbird models which are all similar models with 30/32mm objectives and 6/6.5/8/8.5 magnifications. If your spectacles require a lot of eye relief you may have to rule out the 8/8.5 versions.

I think it would probably be best to avoid compact or mini binoculars; not likely to be good value for use with spectacles.
Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 03:48   #4
MJHamilton

Hmm OK. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sightrons so maybe I'll give them a shot. The mini binoculars did seem a bit too good to be true at that price...

Thanks for your help! You've definitely given me a lot to think over!
Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:27   #5
normjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJHamilton View Post
You've definitely given me a lot to think over!
Not too much I hope To avoid going round in circles it would be such a help if you could try a few models to see what suits you. Worth noting that a full size porro like this looks a pretty good match to your requirements on paper and needn't cost much more than those mini binoculars :
http://www.bushnell.com/products/bin...acy-wp/120842/
Then again it's possible in real life it might feel just too weighty and bulky for you.

BTW I see it has been mentioned on other threads here that buying a demo model from somewhere like cameralandny or samplelist can be a smart way to stretch a budget.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: