• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carnioli (1 Viewer)

Susanne Amalie Reinicke

Not sure if Reinicke is correct. From attached I would read the last character as l (L) and if it is an e the name as Reinecke both on her and on Johann Nicolaus Reinecke (the father).

Attachments

• Reinertl.JPG
    Reinertl.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Reinertl_father.JPG
    Reinertl_father.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
From the documents you provided I would reject the Hanna and would read it as Johanna Charlotte Grassnik only.

Note: Hanna is a abbreviation for Johanna.

Thanks for this clarification. You are correct. From all the sources that cite her name, it's either Hanna Charlotte or Johanne Charlotte.

I also figured out the "Berlin, Klein Bennebek, Schleswig, Schleswig-Holstein" location problem. In the FamilySearch website (where this location comes from), when you introduce a location, it suggests "standardizing" it. When you introduce "Berlin, Prussia, Germany" it suggests to standardize it as "Berlin, Klein Bennebek, Schleswig, Schleswig-Holstein". When you introduce "Berlin, Prussia" (without the Germany part), it suggests to standardize it as "Berlin, Brandenburg, Preußen". I believe Preußen is Prussia in German, correct? So I think this whole thing is just a standardization problem. Now to begin with "Berlin, Prussia, Germany" as it was introduced originally, based on the biography of Julian Carmiol written by Francisco Carmiol Calvo is incorrect, as Prussia is not a place in Germany.

I agree with you, but I think its Reineche. See this other source I found...
I somehow doubt it, simply as "Reineche" doesn't look/sounds German, contrary to Reinecke (that does) ... and handwriting is always handwriting.

Note, that there´s, for example, a (Miss) Reinecke mentioned in: Los Alemanes en Nicaragua, by Göetz von Houwald (Ed.), 1975:
Carl Hol(l)mann, según se dice, en 1873 se vió obligado a abandonar en El Realejo, el barco en el cual viajaba de California a Perú porque su esposa, apellido de soltera Reinecke, estaba a punto de dar a luz. La familia ...

[here, on p.238]​
If relevant, or not, is far beyond me (most likely the latter), could be a completely different (Miss) Reinecke. Though, maybe she abandoned (a) Carmiol and Costa Rica for a "Hol(l)mann" and Nicargua ... !? ;)

Also note (from what I can tell) that Karl Hoffmann (1823–1859), who accompanied Julius crossing the Atlantic, is mentioned on p.215.

Keep digging!

/B

If relevant, or not, is far beyond me (most likely the latter), could be a completely different (Miss) Reinecke. Though, maybe she abandoned (a) Carmiol and Costa Rica for a "Hol(l)mann" and Nicargua ... !? ;)

Also note (from what I can tell) that Karl Hoffmann (1823–1859), who accompanied Julius crossing the Atlantic, is mentioned on p.215.

I believe you are right on the "ck" part. It is also relevant, but I do believe it is a different Reinecke. Per the records I have, Susanne Amalie Reinecke died in Lepanto, Puntarenas, Costa Rica in 1855. So unless she faked her death to run away with Hol(l)Mann in Nicaragua.... then again, plausible ;)

... Per the records I have, Susanne Amalie Reinecke died in Lepanto, Puntarenas, Costa Rica in 1855. So unless she faked her death to run away with Hol(l)Mann in Nicaragua.... then again, plausible ;)
Plausible, yes, maybe, but likely ... nope. I would trust your record of her death in 1855, and think we can forget all about the Reinecke who, decades later, rode of into the Nicaraguan sunset with Mr Hol(l)Mann. I just wanted to point out that the name Reinecke wasn't/isn't that uncommon in German/y.

However, could she (your Reinecke) possibly be a relative, like a younger sister (?) of Julius Reinecke, Ober-gartner in Berlin (i.e. Joh. [Johann/Johannes?] Heinr. [Heinrich] Julius Reinecke, 1809–1881), mentioned twice in the monthly journal Gartenflora 1881 (here and here) ...?

He was from the same city, in the same age and with a similar interest (alt. even occupation) as Don Carmiol. They could have known each other. Yes, a longshot, but take it for what it's worth. If anything at all.

Note that there's a special offer/advert/ad in the same Journal where your great-great-grandfather apparently tried to circulate and sell some "Sehr starke" [very strong] flowers. See p.323, or attached jpg.

/B
--

Attachments

• Gartenflora, 1881.jpg
    Gartenflora, 1881.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 14
Could fit to the Kunst- und Handelsgärtner Carnigohl here or here as

Carnigohl, J., Gärtner, Alexandrinenstr. 107

As well here we can read:

Herr Carnigohl erfreuete manchen Liebhaber durch feine Sammlung hübscher succulenter Pflanzen. Handelsgärtner Hoffmann hatte..
By the way his father may have been Schuhmachermeister (shoemaker). (see extract).

And here

Carnigohl, J., Gärtner, Elisabethstr. 57
Carnigohl, A, Seidenwirker; Gr. Frankfurterstr. 47

(Seidenwirker = silk weaver)

In 1875/77 there seems to be still a Carnigohl née Lehmann in Berlin here

Carnigohl, E, Ww., Ackerstr. 146

or here

Carnigohl, E., geb. Lehmann, Posterpedww., Ackerstr. 146

Attachments

• Schuster.JPG
    Schuster.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Could fit to the Kunst- und Handelsgärtner Carnigohl here or here as

I ran into the second one yesterday. You know what confuses me completely, that about 4 lines above Carnigohl, there is a Krüger Carmiol (yes, Carmiol, not Carnigohl).

This is the first time I see a German source with the name Carmiol. I looked into Krüger Carmiol in Ancestry and FamilySearch and found nothing....

I ran into the second one yesterday. You know what confuses me completely, that about 4 lines above Carnigohl, there is a Krüger Carmiol (yes, Carmiol, not Carnigohl).

This is the first time I see a German source with the name Carmiol. I looked into Krüger Carmiol in Ancestry and FamilySearch and found nothing....

Must be a woman as Carmiol née (=geb.) Krüger (maiden name Krüger) and she is widow at that time. Krüger is not the first name.

May related to here...

Carmiol, C. F , Rentier, Brunnenstr. 28

later

Carmiol, C. F., Rentier, Thorstr. 2

...as in both Rentier (pensioner) is mentioned. But of course no clear evidence.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can read this apart from Carl Carnigohl and Friedrich Wilhelm Carnighol?

Attachments

• cc.JPG
    cc.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 13
  • wfc.JPG
    wfc.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 13
Cornigohl?

Sorry I haven’t replied for a few days. I have found three possibilities on the origin of the Carnigohl family.

1) One is that it is related to the Carmiol family that lived around the same time (where the Kruger widow comes from). Although this seems the most obvious, from the scans I sent Taphrospilus, there isn’t much evidence to sustain this, and looks line just coincidence.

2) It is related to the Cornigohl family, from around 1700s in Berlin. This one I think the most plausible, because that family tree has several Carl Friedrich. Remember Carmiol senior (don Carmiol) was Christian Friedrich, he had a brother named Carl Christian, Carmiol senior’s father was Johann Friedrich and Carmiol junior was Carl Christian. Although I’m pretty sure Carl and Friedrich are both common names in Germany at that time, it is plausible as it matches the dates, the location, and Cornigohl is just one letter away from Carnigohl.

3) The third theory is that it is related to Karl Carmigohl, who lived around the same time whi apparently was a Czech illustrator around that time. Here is a link to a Czech encyclopedia (or at least that’s what I got from it with google translate: https://www.encyklopedieknihy.cz/index.php/Karl_Carmigohl (this is in Czech). Now, there is a possibility that Karl Carmigohl IS Carl Friedrich Cornigohl or his father Carl Cornigohl. It would make sense that Carnigohl is not originally German, as I’ve heard that surnames with that start with “C” instead of “K” are not that common on Germany (please let me know if this is incorrect).

I do have a scan that could have some info on Carl Cornigohl, and was wondering if somebody can read it? (I have higher quality scans if needed)

Attachments

• 5349833B-BA9F-4FB1-AC3D-93EA5DCC2DCE.jpeg
    5349833B-BA9F-4FB1-AC3D-93EA5DCC2DCE.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3F7B02BE-4663-4298-B43B-FE420FACD69A.jpeg
    3F7B02BE-4663-4298-B43B-FE420FACD69A.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 11
Nothing major, but maybe of interest, see Historia de la historia natural de Costa Rica ... (here, all in Spanish):
Cabe destacar que con Hoffmann y von Frantzius llegó Julian Carmiol (españolización del apellido Carnigohl), quien como jardinero comercial introdujo el bonsái en Alemania, y en Costa Rica se dedicó a importar y vender semillas, así como a reproducir y vender especies nativas de plantas; dejó una gran descendencia en el país. ...
[Google Translate] It should be noted that with Hoffmann and von Frantzius came Julian Carmiol (Spanishization of the surname Carnigohl), who as a commercial gardener introduced the bonsai in Germany, and in Costa Rica he dedicated himself to import and sell seeds, as well as to reproduce and sell native plant species; He left a great offspring in the country. ...
Or: Biografía Karl Hoffmann: un naturalista en tiempos turbulentos (here):
Por coincidencia, venía con ellos el naturalista Julián Carmiol (Carnigohl, originalmente), viudo, a quien acompañaban sus cuatro hijos.
[Google Translate] By coincidence, the naturalist Julian Carmiol (Carnigohl, originally), a widower, who accompanied his four children came with them.
At least both those papers indicate that Don Carmiol's surname originated from Carnigohl (and not Garnigohl, as earlier have been claimed, in this thread proven wrong).

What pieces of the dedicatees behind the Carmiol Birds remain missing?

To me it looks like we've found the true names, and years (as well as most dates), of "our guys"; Julius (a k a Julián alt. Julian) and Franz (a k a Francisco) [the latter being my main concern ;)].

Or are some parts still in doubt?

Have we, for example, (for sure) established the Birth date of Franz ("Francisco Carmiol")?

Björn

Martin, I was asking about the; ... Birth date of Franz ("Francisco Carmiol")?

His Birth year has been clear all along (at least since #8) in this thread.

/B

Martin, I was asking about the; ... Birth date of Franz ("Francisco Carmiol")?
/B

His full birth date is:
26 June 1844, Berlin, Brandenburg, Preußen

I’m attaching the baptism record where it states his birth date.

I’ll look for the death record...

Attachments

• 99CE913F-97FB-4E63-B965-854E5F85F0D0.jpeg
    99CE913F-97FB-4E63-B965-854E5F85F0D0.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 5C8F4A9A-8B9A-4308-8B06-A87DFBA4AE7B.jpeg
    5C8F4A9A-8B9A-4308-8B06-A87DFBA4AE7B.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Rafael! :t:

According to my notes he died; " ...the 29th of March 1875, in San José, Costa Rica – after having been bitten by a snake!"

Björn

According to my notes he died; " ...the 29th of March 1875, in San José, Costa Rica – after having been bitten by a snake!"

Björn

This date is correct, per the data I have. According to the this (from the familysearch website), this data comes from Revista de Agricultura 1973 (Carmiol Calvo). I don't have a copy of this, however my father does have an original copy of this magazine. He will get me a scan and I will confirm this date...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back