• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x30 or EL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Hello, this is my first post on your sight. I have been reading the post on here for over a year. Great sight for optics nuts like me. I recently sold my SLC 7x42 (I am a hunter and the weight was more then expected when I got these). I am trying to streamline my setup and have decided to go to a lighter setup. I know I will be sacrificing low light performance for weight, but that is the choice I am making. I can buy the new 8x30 SLC's for $799. My question is: are the EL 8x32 that much better to justify the $700 dollar price differance? Thanks for the replies. Erik

Erik,

Not in my opinion. True, the 8x32 has slightly closer focus, slightly wider field, and slightly greater weight. For hunting I think the SLC is more robust, and frankly has every bit as good an image with Swarobright coatings. For birding my old Mk II is still fantastic.

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed. The 7x42 SLC were built like a tank......... also felt like one around my neck (after seating hours on in a treestand). The 19oz of the 8x30 sounds like the ticket for me. Do you know if they have very good low light abilities? Thank, Erik

erikschupp said:
Thanks for the info Ed. The 7x42 SLC were built like a tank......... also felt like one around my neck (after seating hours on in a treestand). The 19oz of the 8x30 sounds like the ticket for me. Do you know if they have very good low light abilities? Thank, Erik

Erik,

Honestly, compared to the 7x42 they would not be quite as effective in very low light. But they do have 3.75mm exit pupils, and may keep up with your ageing eyes anyway. "Swarobright" makes a notable improvement from the earlier models, and I don't judge the extra .25mm of an 8x32 means that much. Maybe a minute or two more viewing into the night. I've compared the 8x30 and 8x32 head to head in daylight, and would rather spend the extra $700 on my grandson's binoculars. Personally, I think the 8x30 SLC is a dandy and will retain its value.

Ed

I think Ed summed it up nicely. For your intended application I think you would be more than satisfied with the 8x30 SLC. I have often found low light performance in reference to hunting to be somewhat of a misconceived issue. When the time comes that you can really start to see a difference between something like an 8x42 and an 8x32 then it is usually after legal hunting hours and therefore irrelevant.

erikschupp said:
Hello, this is my first post on your sight. I have been reading the post on here for over a year. Great sight for optics nuts like me. I recently sold my SLC 7x42 (I am a hunter and the weight was more then expected when I got these). I am trying to streamline my setup and have decided to go to a lighter setup. I know I will be sacrificing low light performance for weight, but that is the choice I am making. I can buy the new 8x30 SLC's for $799. My question is: are the EL 8x32 that much better to justify the $700 dollar price differance? Thanks for the replies. Erik

Erik, another hunter/birder here...

I've used 8x30 class bins for over twenty years. They're all I use for all birding and hunting. The better one's I've had were the Swaro 7x30 and 8x30 SLC (latter with Swaro bright) and Leica 8x32BN and (currently) 8x32 BR (Ultravid).

The Swaro 8x32 El may be the most overrated, average image bin I've ever looked through... tiny sweet spot and not at all the brightness or resolution I'd expect from a bin that expensive. Unlike the 8x32 Ulatravid, it in no way represents the quality of the entire Swaro EL line. IMO it absolutely is not worth the extra money over the 8x30 SLC. I like its ergonomic's and accessories but that's it.

The 8x30 SLC is nice but the image, to me, is not as bright or sharp as the 8x32BN or Ultravid. On the other hand, Leica just now entered the real-world and started offering objective covers, something my BN's didn't have which created a very frustrating arrangement.

The 8x30 SLC's have fantastic accessories and Swaro's customer service is second to none. I bought the 8x30 SLC thinking they'd be great... I just couldn't like them. On the other hand, I LOVED my 7x30 SLC's (even though they had no Swarobright) and found them much nicer than the 8x30 SLC's. I wish I'd never sold them!

If you're set on an 8x30 size, from personal experience I'd reccomend the 8x32 BN or BR. The Ultravid is my favorite bin, hands down, in this size/class. Either are built like a proverbial Teutonic Tank and never have "sluggish" focusing (like the Swaro's) in cold weather. If I could have figured out a decent BN objective cover i never would have sold them... they're very close to the Ultravid image wise. The Ultravid, however, is incredibly Svelt in its proportions... I love it. If it were a 7x32 I'd never want another bin!

Brad

"Gray's Sporting Journal" had an article in one of it's recent issues (within the last year) entitled something like "8 x 30, the only binocular you will ever need." There was spirited discussion on this forum about it. The author contended that it was the only binocular configuration a Hunter needed. Some disagreed. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread from which you could download the article. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
Bob

Here ya go:

http://grayssportingjournal.com/stories/022306/shooting.shtml

As I said, I've used 8x30 class bins for over twenty years for all kinds of hunting conditions and I've never needed a larger objective or more power in a bin... if more power is needed, a LOT MORE than 10x is necessary and that's when I pull out a spotter.

I typically backpack hunt in the mountains and really dislike 42mm bins bulk and weight. I never notice the 8x32 BR's around my neck but I promise that's not the case of the larger, heavier bins.

All gear selection is a compromise weighted in one direction or another... the 8x32 is where I make my compromise. The "ultimate bin", for me, is the 7x42 Ultravid... I'm just not willing to have it around my neck while hunting.

Last edited:
My vote for the Leica Trinovid 8x32, but i love my EL 8x32.
Between EL and SLC (the new ones with Swarobright and Swarodur coatings), you pay an extra 50 % mostly for ergonomics.

Thanks, everyone for the input. It is hard to find people with such knowledge on huning websites. All I get on them is bigger is better. Not the case if you have to lug around 33+oz. around your neck for hours at a time. If I were to look into the Ultravid 8x32, how much will I be looking for a pair? Thank you all for your insight. It is good to see fellow hunters on the best websight for optics. Birders really know their optics.

I would recommend checking the Alula website for its assessment of the Swav 8x32s. I think they fall short of Swarovski's generally high standards, as been pointed out by others. IMHO Nikon, Zeiss and Leica Ultravid are all better in this configuration.

Sean (usually a Swarovski fan)

erikschupp said:
Thanks, everyone for the input. It is hard to find people with such knowledge on huning websites. All I get on them is bigger is better. Not the case if you have to lug around 33+oz. around your neck for hours at a time. If I were to look into the Ultravid 8x32, how much will I be looking for a pair? Thank you all for your insight. It is good to see fellow hunters on the best websight for optics. Birders really know their optics.

Erik,

Basically, you're looking at the same price range for Ultravids as ELs — $1500 or so. In terms of your original question, the SLCs are just fine and will save lots of weight and provide great pleasure. Actually, the SLC line was developed with hunters in mind, so they are quite up to the task. Swarovski North America (SONA) also has the best customer service in the business.

Good hunting,
Ed

I do not know if you have given it any thought but you might consider refurbished Ultravids if the regular price tag is a bit steep. I know that pre-owned certified Leica Ultravids were going for several hundred less than new models and with a 10 year warranty. I received an email "circular" from CameralandNY, aka gr8fuldoug here on the forums, that illustrated as much.

Nobody has mentioned the Nikon 8 x 32 LXL. Optically it is in the same class as the one's mentioned above and only the Kahles cost less. The Nikons can usually be found selling new for under $900.00. The Kahles usually sells for under $700.00. The others mentioned above will cost from $1200.00 to almost $1800.00. The Nikons will typically weigh about 3 ounces more (about 24 ounces total weight)) than the biggest of the others but their optics are in the same league as the others.

Bob

Last edited:
ceasar said:
Nobody has mentioned the Nikon 8 x 32 LXL. Optically it is in the same class as the one's mentioned above and only the Kahles cost less. The Nikons can usually be found selling new for under $900.00. The Kahles usually sells for under $700.00. The others mentioned above will cost from $1200.00 to almost $1800.00. The Nikons will typically weigh about 3 ounces more (about 24 ounces total weight)) than the biggest of the others but their optics are in the same league as the others.

Bob

I compared the Nikon 8x 32 HGL, as they call it here, against the Swav 8x32 at a birdfair a couple of years ago and I thought the Nikon was obviously better; it just seemed so much brighter.

Sean

dogfish said:
I compared the Nikon 8x 32 HGL, as they call it here, against the Swav 8x32 at a birdfair a couple of years ago and I thought the Nikon was obviously better; it just seemed so much brighter.

Sean

The Nikon LXL/HGXL (whatever they call them these days) have a very impressive image... I'd rate them right up there with the Ultravid and substantially better than the Swaro 8x32 EL or 8x30 SLC.

For me I didn't like their ergonomic's or controls and Nikon's warranty service here in the USA doesn't have a very good reputation. Still, for the money, they're an amazing bin.

Brad_A said:
The Nikon LXL/HGXL (whatever they call them these days) have a very impressive image... I'd rate them right up there with the Ultravid and substantially better than the Swaro 8x32 EL or 8x30 SLC.

For me I didn't like their ergonomic's or controls and Nikon's warranty service here in the USA doesn't have a very good reputation. Still, for the money, they're an amazing bin.

I went to Bass Pro and compared the Leica Ultravid 8x32, Swarovski EL 8x32, Zeiss FL 8x32 and the Swarovski 8x30 SLC (I went to a dark area of the store).

The Leicas were just a little bit brighter then all, followed closely behind by both Swarovski's and the Zeiss.

Both the Swarovski's had better edge to edge clarity then the other two (a very noticible differance). The Zeiss being the worst.

The EL's felt the best in hand followed by the SLC's and the Ultravid, then the Zeiss.

Optically I could find no differance between the EL's and the SLC's.

So for the money I feel I made the best choice....... The 8x30 SLC's for $799. Best all around regarless of the price.

All of these binoculars were so close, but the edge to edge clarity and the price of the SLC's won hands down.

Thank you all for the input.

Get the SLC,s & spend the $,s you save on an extra hunting trip or another rifle, You wont go wrong with the SCL,s. Wonderful binos ,
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back