• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (4 Viewers)

It's been a while since I've had anything to say but I have been reading the thread.

I though I'd add a contribution for this past week as springtime with the SX50

Redwing Blackbird
Muskrat
Snapping turtle
Lifer: a Northern Rough-Winged Swallow
A Lion's Mane Jellyfish (very big)

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4485.JPG
    IMG_4485.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Spring in Oregon with the SX 50

I have had an SX 50 for two and a half years and it is in my hand almost every day. Here are some recent shot. The White Wagtail was a long way off, hand held at 1800 mm and the bird never stopped moving. This was the 11th record of this bird in Oregon. Left to right, Black-throated Gray Warbler, White Wagtail, Burrowing Owl, Pygmy Owl, Fox Sparrow (thick billed)

Attachments

• 01 IMG_1239.jpg
    01 IMG_1239.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 02 IMG_0505.jpg
    02 IMG_0505.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8691.jpg
    IMG_8691.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_9426.jpg
    IMG_9426.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 195
Sorry for the post under the post. Some photos from today. The rest is on my Flickr album.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 180
And some Yellowhammers from RSPB Dinas today.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 186
And some Yellowhammers from RSPB Dinas today.

Excellent photos of a Yellowhammer from an unusually low perspective. - It reminds me of my attempts with ducks on the river, when I experimented with the flipping screen to get a lower perspective, with mediocre results.

The photos above from CF, Condor and derwal are also nice.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, don't know if anyone can help a real camera novice?

I am using CrazyFinger's settings and getting shots beyond my wildest dreams! But I also seem to be over-exposing quite a few shots. Is there a simple 'tweak I could try? Generally I am shooting in bright sunshine or at least clear skies (darn this Bulgarian weather! ;))

Thanks,

Chris

what settings are these? is there a post number? I'm sure there are some handy tips on this thread but at 87 pages long I don't think I can go through it all!

A buzzard having fun in the snow, some older photos taken with the SX50 in jpeg format. As an experiment I've edited these photos (again) using a raw editing software: DxO Optics pro 10 Elite. It seems to me that such a software can make a little difference even for jpeg photos. The third photo is my old version (Photoshop-edited), the fourth was done with DxO. I believe it shows a little more "feather detail".

Attachments

• Buzzard 1.jpg
    Buzzard 1.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Buzzard 2.jpg
    Buzzard 2.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Buzzard 3.jpg
    Buzzard 3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Buzzard 4.jpg
    Buzzard 4.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I had to go to Cancun, Mexico for a couple days for a conference. I went out for a while my first afternoon and it was so hot and humid!

But I got some nice shots. Here are some. These are all within walking distance from my hotel.

Great Kiskadee
Black Spiny-tailed Iguana
Green Heron
Magnificent Frigatebird
Brown Pelican

Aside from enduring the heat and humidity, whenever I went outside after spending a bit of time in my hotel room the lens of the SX50 fogged over and needed at least 10 minutes outside to clear up. I did miss a few shots waiting for the lens to defog. Perhaps expensive cameras also come with defogers.

Attachments

• 2016 06 01 17 08 06.JPG
    2016 06 01 17 08 06.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 182
  • 2016 06 01 14 16 41.JPG
    2016 06 01 14 16 41.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 2016 06 01 14 37 42.JPG
    2016 06 01 14 37 42.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 2016 06 01 14 31 14.JPG
    2016 06 01 14 31 14.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2016 06 01 14 09 17.JPG
    2016 06 01 14 09 17.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 159
Hello
in January I have bought an used Canon SX50hs in mint conditions as I wanted to carry a mirrorless camera just to take pictures of raptors in flight. I started to use it as a general "allround" camera more extensively than I thought.
Shortly after I have found a Canon Speedlite 580EX at a very attractive price (see my post #2116).
I did some tests with the SX50HS + 580EX at home and in the garden and was very impressed by its power, the lighting capabilities and the perfect exposure in the full AUTO mode.
I guess I can take pictures of birds in low light conditions (at dusk, under tree canopy, etc), even at a fair distance, more often and more easily thanks to the excellent Speedlite 580EX.
Is someone more experienced with this combo?

Last edited:
I get on famously with the SX50, and I've managed to get some pictures that I'm very happy with. But one thing that has always been a bugbear is finding the bird in the first place. When you're at a high zoom scanning for a bird on an expanse of water, a patch of grass, or some other background which offers no points of reference, it can be a real struggle to locate the target. (Not helped by my rubbish eyesight and the less-than-brilliant viewfinder on the SX50). What's needed is something that enables you to simultaneously see the whole scene and pinpoint the target.

The only commercial solution to this problem that I know of is a red-dot sight, but the only one specifically designed for a camera (from Olympus) costs around £100. It's possible to DIY one using a gunsight, but I found it all a bit flakey when I tried it.

So here's a solution I came up with which I've found to be a huge help, and which costs under a fiver.

The basic principle is that you mount a "sight" on the lens hood. To use it, you align the sight with the target, while peeping over the viewfinder hump on the camera - a bit like aiming a rifle with the lens hood "sight" acting as the front sight, and your eye acting as the back sight. Once the target is lined up, you then just move your eye down the inch or so to the viewfinder, and - hey presto - the bird is in the viewfinder.

I made mine using a cheap lens hood (a couple of quid on Ebay) and fixing a bolt onto it, with a small ring attached to the top of the bolt (see pic). It took a while to get everything aligned so that the sight pointed to the same spot as the viewfinder, but once it's fixed and immoveable it doesn't need recalibrating (unlike a red dot sight).

To use it, I just raise the camera to my eye, get the bird in the ring, move my eye back to the viewfinder, and compose and shoot. It has absolutely transformed my ability to take pictures of birds - I reckon that I can now find small birds at full zoom - regardless of the background - in just a second or two as opposed to them flying away whilst I'm still trying to find them.

Attached are a couple of photos of the device showing it on the lens hood, and from behind the camera, together with a couple of pictures I took in Pembrokeshire recently, which I don't think I'd have got without it.

If you're interested in trying out something like this, you're probably best off to first take a look at the thread at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084&highlight=aiming+device) which is where I got the idea. The thread is about aiming devices for use on telescopes where the problem of getting the bird in the eyepiece is even greater, but the same idea works fine on the camera. There are also lots of helpful drawings.

If you want to try making one of these, and need a bit of help, drop me a line, and I'll do what I can.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• From front.jpg
    From front.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 295
  • From back.jpg
    From back.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 280
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 291
[...] it can be a real struggle to locate the target. (Not helped by my rubbish eyesight and the less-than-brilliant viewfinder on the SX50). [...]

Yes, finding the target can be a problem. And I do share your opinion regarding the "less-than-brilliant" EVF. Whenever I reach for the SX50 (these days mostly for macros and for the farest distances), its EVF is always a little shock.

I wonder: do you use the "frame assist" button of the SX50? It's one of the best features of this little zoom miracle. Combined with the old advice "don't stop looking at the bird while you raise the camera, bring the camera in-line with your eyes and the bird", this button worked fine for me. The procedure takes a little time to get used to, but the SX50 is pretty good in supporting birders. I remember the debate about a red-dot aiming device, but I've never felt that I needed it.

If your construction improves your results, great. Aiming devices play a major role for telescopes or scopes, but I guess that's mainly because they are too heavy to be lifted and "brought in line with your eyes and the birds". ;)

That said, only last Monday in a bird reservation I met someone who was using a Canon SX50 - firmly mounted on a tripod! No surprise that he did better with filming and photographing the far-away waders than I did with my Nikon V2/ CX70-300 combo - 1200mm + teleconverter are a lot longer than 810mm. For that person, an aiming device like yours could make sense.

Last edited:
Here's a few of my efforts from this spring.

This thread seems to be winding down as the technology moves on to newer models, so I'll take this opportunity to thank all those who contributed, and especially to Crazyfingers and others who documented the ideal settings that made a huge difference to the quality of pix I was able to secure.

I've been searching for a worthy replacement myself and have been considering the Canon G3X, Sony RX10iii, and Nikon P900. I'd be interested to know what Sx50 users/believers are thinking.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7950 Red-winged Blackbird @ Seattle.jpg
    IMG_7950 Red-winged Blackbird @ Seattle.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_7125 Plumed Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7125 Plumed Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6734 Oriental Pratincole @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_6734 Oriental Pratincole @ RDBT.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_8030 Marsh Wren @ Seattle.jpg
    IMG_8030 Marsh Wren @ Seattle.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_6569 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6569 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    707.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I love your photos. Wish we had these exotic birds here...
This thread seems to be winding down as the technology moves on to newer models, [...]

For me the SX50 is still one of the best birding cameras. A while ago I made a comparison, testing various options to document kestrels nesting in a distance of 103m from my house. The SX50 won. It is also great for macros. Yet I presently use the Nikon V2 as my main birding tool, to explore the genre "birds in flight", something I can't do with the SX50.

I've been searching for a worthy replacement myself and have been considering the Canon G3X, Sony RX10iii, and Nikon P900. I'd be interested to know what Sx50 users/believers are thinking.

I had considered to buy a Nikon P900. But at the end all these superzooms have similar strengths and weaknesses. It would not have opened a totally new field for me. Today, when I take the Nikon V2 (CX 70-300 lens) with me, I mainly shoot "bird action". Different to using the SX50 when I was always hoping for the birds to sit still.

The Sony RX10iii is expensive, twice the amount of a used V2/CX70-300. It may be the better choice for videos, but hardly for a birder. It weighs 200g more, has a focal length of 600mm (vs 810mm for the V2) and shoots RAW with a speed of 8fps (vs 15fps or even more in the case of the V2). As a rule of thumbs, the SX50 offers 90% of the birding fun for a fraction of the price of cameras with larger sensors. My V2 did add "BIF" fun to my practice, but it isn't cheap, weighs 900g and for distant birds I have to spend more time for cropping/editing the image.

I guess after the Photokina (20-24 September), when Canon and Nikon have announced new cameras, the price of the SX50 will drop even more than it already has. Few of the more expensive cameras are really better for birding!

Many thanks HermitIbis

My problem is that I may not be able to replace the SX50 easily here . . . and I have a trip to Kenya coming in less than 3 weeks. So I need either a new primary camera with the SX 50 as a backup or a complete replacement.

I understand that the RX10iii is bigger and substantially more expensive, but the versatility to do great landscape pix, plus macros and have great image quality seems an attractive option, with the SX50 (which I still thoroughly enjoy) retained for the longer range stuff.

I found the reviews of the P900 and the RX10iii by Stephen Ingraham to be very useful as his focus on point and shoot nature photography is close to my own mix of interests.

Cheers
Mike

Here's a few more SX50 pix from the Spring.

Attachments

• IMG_7983 Glaucous-winged Gull @ Seattle.jpg
    IMG_7983 Glaucous-winged Gull @ Seattle.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7018 Magpie Geese @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7018 Magpie Geese @ Brisbane.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_6710 Oriental Plover @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_6710 Oriental Plover @ RDBT.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_7132 Bush Stone Curlew @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7132 Bush Stone Curlew @ Gold Coast.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_7802 Green Pheasant @ Nishinoshima.JPG
    IMG_7802 Green Pheasant @ Nishinoshima.JPG
    848.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back