• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID please (1 Viewer)

I'm not seeing any hint of yellow on its face to be a Vesper so I'm going with a juvie Chipping Sparrow.

Thanks every one for your response. I am leaning towards Vesper Sparrow mainly from the white eye ring and markings on the face.

Are those lores too dark for clay-colored? Hard to say in my opinion. That was my immediate impression but after reading responses I am in the chipping/clay-colored camp. I’m pretty sure Vesper’s would have a more well defined auricular pattern and bold median(?) coverts.

Last edited:
As noted elsewhere, the tail is far too long and too narrow for Vesper Sparrow. This is a pretty typical juv Chipping. Though the dark eyeline is not particularly obvious on this bird, it is present, and helps to rule out Clay-colored. I'd also guess that the tail is probably a bit too long for Clay-colored.

So majority of you thinks it is a Clipping Sparrow, then a Chipping Sparrow it is. Thanks again for all everyone's clarification.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back