• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D3100 - budget lenses for birdwatching (1 Viewer)

Sbiriguda

Hello,
I own a Nikon D3100 (a bit obsoleted...) and I would like to start birdwatching. As a complete newbie, I would like to buy budget equipment and then step up to better equipment later if I see I like birdwatching
By now I installed Cornell app for birdwatching, I asked advice in the binoculars section, and I would like to buy new lenses for my camera
I would like to take pictures especially to raptors and lake birds common where I live. Perhaps I could use the same equipment while travelling, and maybe watching animals like Dolphins and whales
By the way, if you also have a specific thread on how to start and how to buy the first equipment I kindly ask you to paste the link so that I can read the threads
Thank you

Hello,
I own a Nikon D3100 (a bit obsoleted...) and I would like to start birdwatching. As a complete newbie, I would like to buy budget equipment and then step up to better equipment later if I see I like birdwatching
By now I installed Cornell app for birdwatching, I asked advice in the binoculars section, and I would like to buy new lenses for my camera
I would like to take pictures especially to raptors and lake birds common where I live. Perhaps I could use the same equipment while travelling, and maybe watching animals like Dolphins and whales
By the way, if you also have a specific thread on how to start and how to buy the first equipment I kindly ask you to paste the link so that I can read the threads
Thank you
Birdwatching is fun, and getting a decent binoculars is a good start. Upgrading a DSLR for shooting birds can be very frustrating and expensive though. You won't have much fun below 800mm - at least that has been my experience. Something like a 100-400mm + teleconverter costs serious money, and it is heavy - not many are carrying a bino + DSLR around for birding.
Also, my recommendation would be to forget digiscoping. Since 2012 some fine superzoom cameras have entered the market. As a newbie I used a Canon SX50 for four years - not the best image quality, but a great tool for exploring birds, macro and photography. Others prefer the Nikon P900. In my opinion such a superzoom would be a good compromise - until you really know how serious you want to get with this hobby.
If you are not satisfied with "superzoom" image quality, there is still the Nikon V2 + CX70-300. Weight below 1kg, performing well with birds in flight.

1. A hybrid super-zoom might be a starting point. Lumix FZ300 is one alternative. In good light the quality is OK. Lens gives 600mm/f2.8 at max zoom (12x magnification) and it has 4k video which is nice. For documentation purposes it would work fine. Works for macro as well. It's not too heavy either (640g) and the price (400€) is cheaper than any decent tele zoom lenses for the D3100.

2. Another alternative is getting Nikon's 18-300mm/6.3 DX II or something similar. Not too heavy and large with a flexible zoom range. Price around 650€.

3. Tamron's latest 100-400mm/6.3 is a bit more expensive but gives more reach. Price about 800-900€. Weight is around 1,1 kg so it will feel rather heavy and unbalanced on the D3100.

It may be an idea first to decide if you want to be a bird photographer who goes bird watching or a bird watcher who wants record shots.
The first option will get very expensive at some point and your current camera will prove limiting, the second option would mean you could consider a bridge camera, much cheaper than lenses for your current camera and in lots of ways better.

Thank you very much to all for your feedback
Based on what you say I think that the best option would be buying one of the superzoom cameras you suggested, especially if I can get a good bargain for a used one
Thank you again

I was reviewing some second hand cameras, and it is seems the cheapest one is Canon SX50
Are there different models of it? Is it much worse than the other budget superzoom cameras you mentioned that is Nikon P900 and Lumix FZ300?

I was reviewing some second hand cameras, and it is seems the cheapest one is Canon SX50
Are there different models of it? Is it much worse than the other budget superzoom cameras you mentioned that is Nikon P900 and Lumix FZ300?

It think SX60 is the latest model from Canon, SX50 the previous.
Latest stuff, usually are the greatest as in most tech stuff.

Here you can compare any model:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ300-vs-Canon-PowerShot-SX50-HS

There is a long thread on the SX50. The Canon SX50 isn't produced anymore, I am not aware of "versions" of the model. Opinions differ whether the successor SX60 is better or worse for birding. There is another thread with many fine SX60 photos. Still, if you visit the flickr site and search for "SX50 birds", you'll see 24.000 photos, vs 3.500 photos with the SX60. Surely more SX50 cameras have been sold. A used, intact SX50 can be bought for Euro 150, if you are lucky.

The Nikon P900. Worth a look, since the price for used, intact P900 cameras is gradually coming down. Still expensive, Euro 400 used. I might have bought it, had the price been lower.

Don't hurry, bargains can be made, if you are patient. Contrary to DSLRs, these models don't count the "clicks", ie the numbers of photos shot. So it's guesswork whether a camera is little used. - Hint: The "Func set" of the SX50 is the most frequently used button. If the text "Func Set" looks brandnew, it indicates that the SX50 has had few clicks.

If you are tempted to buy one of the newer superzooms in the Euro 400-700 segment, consider that none can shoot birds in flight, none has an electronic shutter. With a little luck in August 2018, shortly before the next Photokina mass, prices for used cameras capable for birds in flight might come down.

If you are tempted to buy one of the newer superzooms in the Euro 400-700 segment, consider that none can shoot birds in flight, none has an electronic shutter. With a little luck in August 2018, shortly before the next Photokina mass, prices for used cameras capable for birds in flight might come down.

I would say that it's possible with the FZ300, I've shot birds in flight with worse cameras than that, but the result will vary of course, depending on light levels, distance and bird speed, that superzooms are not optimal for this I can agree on.

FZ300 have electronic shutter:

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-a...lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-FZ300K.html

Some nice sample shots from Bence Maté there also. I wouldn't expect the same quality of shots first day of shooting with it though. ;)

I would say that it's possible with the FZ300, I've shot birds in flight with worse cameras than that, but the result will vary of course, depending on light levels, distance and bird speed, that superzooms are not optimal for this I can agree on.

FZ300 have electronic shutter:

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-a...lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-FZ300K.html

Some nice sample shots from Bence Maté there also. I wouldn't expect the same quality of shots first day of shooting with it though. ;)

Thanks for the correction. I've learned to appreciate the electronic shutter in a Nikon V2 (so far 500,000+ photos without a broken shutter, and counting). And I see the FZ300 has lots of other nice features.

Most cameras can shoot larger birds in flight. Even the SX50 can do it, e.g. here and here. The first photo (Kestrel) was from someone else, in that SX50 thread. Things are getting harder with swallows.

If you go for a bridge camera make sure it has an EVF finder as well as the rear LCD.

I googled a bit these two features and I understand more or less what they are. May I ask why do you consider them necessary? Do the cameras suggested above (Canon SX50 Canon SX60 Nikon P900 Lumix FZ200 Lumix FZ300) have these features?

I googled a bit these two features and I understand more or less what they are. May I ask why do you consider them necessary? Do the cameras suggested above (Canon SX50 Canon SX60 Nikon P900 Lumix FZ200 Lumix FZ300) have these features?
I believe they all have the electronic viewfinder (EVF) and the rear LCD, often called monitor. However, the resolution differs, and typically those EVF or monitors with more pixels offer the better observation quality.

One of the weaknesses of the SX50 is the EVF, looking through it is no pleasure. But then you have a bino, if you want to enjoy the birds.

The SX50 has other strengths, arguably more important for birders. For example the "frame assist" button: if you have watched a bird at full zoom and lose it in the dense foliage, you press this button, and the lens "zooms out". This feature is very helpful to find back a fast moving bird.

]
It looks like they all have an EVF (electronic viewfinder) you need one because its a lot better than working on the rear screen for framing etc, with the EVF pressed against your eye you will find the camera a lot more stable to help with the long lens shots.

I started off with a Nikon D3100, a great little camera which I used with a Nikkor 80-300 VR. I swapped to Canon for the Canon 400 5.6, but have recently been using the Sigma 150-600. I think these fit on your camera and would seriously consider one. The camera would probably feel small on the end of that lens, but I find you take most of the weight holding the lens anyway. Great for raptors with the extra reach, you can do microfocus adjustments with the lens which you can't do on the camera (I think) and you can upgrade later with one of the newer Nikon cameras which I think are better in low light.

I swapped to Canon for the Canon 400 5.6, but have recently been using the Sigma 150-600.

These are fine lenses. However, the OP asked for budget solutions, and intends to use a binoculars, so weight should be a consideration. - That said, it's all relative, and spending Euro 150 for a bridge camera that is later replaced by something better can be seen as waste. The OP will know best what he needs.

Last edited:
Thank you also for the suggestion on Sigma 150-600. There must be several types of these because I found different kinds of Sigma 150-600 some of them over 1000 euros. Anyway the cheapest second hand I found was about 600
Expensive provided my budget
Thank you anyway for the suggestion it's interesting perhaps I can consider them if I find a good deal

Yes, there are two version of the Sigma 150-600.

There is the “Contemporary”, which has “C” in the lens name. This retails around £700 in the UK at the moment.

Then there is the “Sport”, which has “S” in the name, and retails around £1300 UK.

The C is built mostly with (good quality) plastics, and some metal internal parts. The S is built from metal throughout. The S is also fully weather sealed, whereas the C is not.

The S also has more elements, and is (according to Sigma at least), a little superior, optically.

Edit:
Also, in terms of the D3100, I’d agree with Simon, in that it’s a smashing entry level DSLR. I started with a D3300, which isn’t that much different...and so far I haven’t upgraded, because I’ve not felt the lack of anything!

Last edited:
[...] the cheapest second hand I found was about 600
Expensive provided my budget

Perhaps someone should warn you that photographing birds can get addictive. It could become expensive anyway. |^|

I had a Canon 450D, rarely using it. I bought a Canon SX50 when it came out, in 2012. That moment made me a birder. In 2012-2016 I shot tons of photos with that camera, going through two shutter breaks and three bodies. Total costs about Euro 1000. Then I bought a Nikon V2 + CX70-300, clearly a better camera, costs about Euro 800.

Was my investment in the SX50 wasted? I don't think so, although I prefer the V2 today, hoping for birds in flight. For quite a few bird species I have better SX50 photos than with the V2. The SX50 has a burst mode of ~10 photos in a second. Useful for moments when you really want to nail a new bird.

There are so many variables that it's hard to give advice. The latest models can do HDR, WiFi, and whatnot. However, the Sx50 isn't terribly expensive and delivers "good enough" photos to identify birds. Weight 570g, small, solid (in my first birding year I fell twice, on icy streets - no damage to the SX50). However, the temptation to get the latest model is always strong. ;)

There was a similar thread a while ago, someone with a budget of Euro 250 asking for advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back