• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying new camera - SX60HS or P900 or other (1 Viewer)

Dür

Hi guys!

I bought a JVC GZ-R15 cam corder half a year ago. The reasong I bought it was that it had 40x zoom and was waterproof. It also had a reasonable price, and fit in to my jackets pocket.
The image quality on the other hand is not to good. The only way to get some sort of a picture is by shooting video, and then take pictures out of the film. These are only 2mp and often not good enough to make identification.

The main purpose of whatever camera I'm choosing, is to document and to be able to make correct species identification, especially waders. Not stunning picture to print or anything. I'm not going to use a tripod, so some sort of good stabilization in the camera is important. And I would also prefer that the stills are of good quality, so I dont have to use alot of time to go through the videos to find the best frame.

Pros and cons I can think of with the P900:
+Extreme zoom
+Mic(for recording songs and whistles)
-Pretty big
-A bit expensive
-Not available at the moment

Pros and cons I can think of with the SX60HS:
+Plenty of zoom
+Smaller, I might put it under my jacket during rain
+Reasonable price
+Available
-Reviews seems to better on the P900
-Not possible to charge with micro-usb(?)

So, what do you guys think? What are your experiences? What would you recomend for me, given my needs(no tripod, preferably pics only++)? Any other suggestions?

Sorry my english isn't perfect!

BR
Dür

Last edited:
I'm really satisfied with stills from the camera. Love it. I have a few questions. I've only been shooting in auto and that works good, but a few questions:
1) How do I change the shutter speed so it's better to take pictures of moving objects, i.e. a flying bird.
2) How do I put the camera in burst mode to shoot several pictures with one click?

I would really appreciate answers :)

Hi,

I've had a P610 for around a week and use it mostly while birding.
One way you can put it into burst mode is to select the scene bird watching and then you will be asked if you want single shot or continuous.
Also, to capture birds in flight you may want to after selecting bird watching and the preferred type of shot is to press directly under the ok button to access the flower icon which will ask if you want AF, MF, or Infinity (which has a mountain icon). Select infinity for birds in flight or other long range shots.

There's a pretty good article online which details how to use the Nikon's bird watching mode. Just Google Nikon CoolPix P600 (or P610) Tips for Bird Photography.

Saludos

Thanks for your tips! I've allready been able to identify new life-list-species!

One more question: It's rare that the pictures I take are tagged with location. Are the GPS-receiver slow or something?

Thanks for your tips! I've allready been able to identify new life-list-species!

One more question: It's rare that the pictures I take are tagged with location. Are the GPS-receiver slow or something?

It likely takes a minute or 2 for the GPS satellites to be acquired when turning on GPS tracking on the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back