• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best reverse porro prism bin? (1 Viewer)

What is the nicest reverse porro bin on the market today?

What is the largest objective reverse porro bin?

I think Bushnell made a large 8x42 or something like that. Its FOV was necessarily quite narrow. Someone will be around who has a better memory than me on this.

Many people think these Nikons are the "nicest" ones on the market. They come in 8x25, 10x25 and 12x25.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-10x25-atb.html

Read the 4 comments.

Bob

A good question, I'm interested in the responses.
For my uses and in the price range that suits me, my lightest "always in the backpack" set is my discontinued Monk Optics or Opticron MCF 7x24 reverse porro. It's not that they have to be reverse porro, but that they represent great value for their performance and if lost/damaged would not cause any grief.
I was thinking of the Bushnell Legend 8x26 (might be heavier that I want) as a replacement.

Nicest is the Bushnell Elite Custom Compact. Excellent build quality, and pretty good optics.

The largest objective I know of is the Elite at 26mm. I would imagine that there is larger somewhere out there, but I am not aware of them.

Not sure that the 10-30x60 is a reverse Porroprism binocular. More up down of which there are several.
I think it likely that the aperture is less than 60mm and the quality poor.
I doubt that someone with a small IPD could use it.

I could not get the link to the 10x50, and I got the bl.... Viglink on the other.

My votes for "nicest" reverse-porros (all with good eye-relief for glasses) are as follows:

B&L/Bushnell 7x26 models of various vintages. I prefer the old all-metal B&L 7x26 with full multicoatings.
Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II is unmatched for butterflying/super-close-viewing and works at distance too.
Nikon 8x25 Prostaff ATB works fine and is superbly compact, light weight, and waterproof.

--AP

Nikon and Bushnell

I've had at least four generations of Nikon reverse porros and can vouch for them. Hard to beat for quality at that price/size/weight point, so I don't think you'd go wrong with the 8x25 Prostaff. That said, the (now) Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 E2s are special. I compared mine side-by-side with a pair of Leica trinovid 8x20s and saw no optical reason to get the Leicas. It's true that the Bushnells aren't water sealed, but mine never seemed to accumulate much dust. I just didn't use them in the rain.

So it seems like Nikon, Bushnell, Pentax, and Opticron are the best options. I really want the Opticron Savanna but it's not available in the US unfortunately.

I had a curious reverse 8x30 called a Binolyt Butterfly MC. I gave it to a (non-birder) friend who's very happy with it. Long ago I had Opticron Taiga 8x25, an absolutely superb bino, but with narrow FOV and not waterproof. I gave it to my brother....must check if he still has it! I also liked the Vortex Vanquish 8x26 but I sold that.

Last edited:
Second the opinions on the Custom 7x26. They are a great glass but a bit expensive, even on the used market. A lower cost alternative would be any of the Nikon Travelites or Venturers. 7x and 8x versions are probably the best and the 9x is okay. I'd stay away from the 12x version though.

My personal favorite is the 8x23 Venturer. Besides being a great pocket sized binocular they have a cool brown leather cover.

I've had both Vortex Optics VNQ-0826 Vanquish Binoculars, 8X26 and a similar Nikon Travelite. The Nikons seem to have disappeared form many places. I don't use pocket binoculars anymore as I use glasses. The smallest I use at all are 8x32 old Pentax binos. all the rest are 42mm.

They were all very similar. I only have one compact pair left, a store brand 8x25 roof prism. I just keep them to lend out to anyone on birding trips that shows up with the 1965 Sears binoculars that are completely foggy on one side. Yeah, that happened.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back