• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windsor Castle Bird (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Sparrowhawk
Can someone identify this bird seen flying over Windsor Castle London yesterday morning please. I was thinking it was a Raven, but the tail shape is not right, but it was a very large bird?

Attachments

• 2018_09_20_9999_12a.jpg
    2018_09_20_9999_12a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 81
Hi Brian

You're not the only one to be surprised at seeing a Red Kite apparently "out of context". Saw my first in Wales in 1985, and though aware that the reintroduction programme had made them widespread, I found it difficult to believe when I first saw one from my London window around 2013. Got a photo of the tail end of a large raptor disappearing from view as the light was fading: forked, reddish - that was enough.

Your silhouette does show the classic Red Kite shape and proportions. Congratulations on the sighting, you must be pleased!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back