• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coto 47 (1 Viewer)

JJP

Just an FYI for people visiting CR with a car.

I just got back from the Osa Peninsula where Johan Chaves and I birded around Esquinas Lodge for a couple of days.

We took a day trip to a place near the Panama border generally known as Coto 47 (just southwest of the town of Neily). Coto 47 is more like a large territorial area similar to the size of a small US county. The entire area is generally flat and defined by savannah/rice fields/marshy habitat.

This area has some nice specialty birds. It's generally reliable for Yellow-headed Vulture, Gray-lined Hawk, Savanna Hawk, and Sapphire-throated Hummingbird. Veraguan Mango is possible although we didn't see it. We did, however, have a Masked Duck at the Las Pangas Marsh (mind-boggling numbers of BB Whistling-Duck and Northern Jacana). Other nice birds included Southern Lapwing, Crested Oropendola, and Slate-colored Seedeater. It was a productive side trip.

One can actually see Coto 47 marked on a physical map if the scale is large enough (my map was from "Costa Rica Guide"). My personal highlight was the Gray-lined Hawk in an area called finca 41 - an area with broken palm trees. Since I come from Texas, a state that has nesting Gray Hawks, it was nice to finally see the differences.

I probably couldn't have managed the route without Johan guiding, but the area is worth a visit if you enjoy building on your CR list. If you bundle it with Esquinas Lodge, you make a nice package of birds that can include Rusty-margined Flycatcher, Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager, Yellow-bellied Seedeater, Ruddy-breasted Seedeater, Blue-headed Parrot, and Crested Oropendola. My real targets at Esquinas though were Striped Woodhaunter and Scaly-breasted Wren, which had escaped me for years. I had good looks at both finally. And I'm glad I stayed at the lodge. Nice place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back