Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon S520.....should I upgrade??

Old Tuesday 31st May 2005, 11:29   #1
blackburnian
Owl Nut

Canon S520.....should I upgrade??

I'm having a blast with the Rebel XT a nd the 100-400 IS lens. However, I decided to purchase ink for my older and only printer the Canon S520 and discovered that the pics are somewhat poor in quality and don't match what I see on the screen (I know i somehow have to calibrate BOTH).

My question is....

Should I go out and invest on a high end printer or just send them off to my local shop?

Is the quality of the higher end printers MUCH better than my current printer?

What do you guys do?

I shoot mainly birds...and my kids when they can sit still!

Marc
Old Tuesday 31st May 2005, 19:12   #2
RAH

Well, I don't know how old your printer is, but I'd say that if its more than about 3 years old, a newer one would probably give better results, because of newer technology. Nowadays, you don't have to spend a lot for a photo-quality printer, since they make most of their money selling ink cartridges anyway. There are many printers in the $150 range (or even less) that should yield almost professional results. You shouldn't spend much more than that, I should think, unless you are looking for a wide-format printer.

I'm assuming you cleaned the print heads (usually done via the print driver software - with most printers it does NOT involve you physically touching the heads). If not, do so, and then print the test page your printer surely can print to diagnose printing problems. Cleaning the heads can make a HUGE difference, especially with the horizontal streaking problem.
Old Tuesday 31st May 2005, 19:24   #3
blackburnian
Owl Nut

I'll clean them tonight....never thought of that as I don't use the printer. Since last week that is.

Tks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH
Well, I don't know how old your printer is, but I'd say that if its more than about 3 years old, a newer one would probably give better results, because of newer technology. Nowadays, you don't have to spend a lot for a photo-quality printer, since they make most of their money selling ink cartridges anyway. There are many printers in the $150 range (or even less) that should yield almost professional results. You shouldn't spend much more than that, I should think, unless you are looking for a wide-format printer.

I'm assuming you cleaned the print heads (usually done via the print driver software - with most printers it does NOT involve you physically touching the heads). If not, do so, and then print the test page your printer surely can print to diagnose printing problems. Cleaning the heads can make a HUGE difference, especially with the horizontal streaking problem.
Old Tuesday 31st May 2005, 19:58   #4
stevo

Hi Marc

If you`ve got Adobe photoshop installed you might like to calibrate your monitor using Adobe Gamma which is pretty simple to use,as already mentioned cleaning your printer heads is also a good idea.

Cheers Steve.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: