• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Spring Migrants? (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
Just wondering - as a rule, which summer visitors are usually the first to arrive back in Britain?

Thanks

Ring Ouzel and Garganey are other possibly early ones ... plus I guess waders on the move ...

I guess there's also a difference between the first spring migrants seen (eg at coastal watchpoints, reservoirs), and the first actually back on territory ...

Migrants are already on the move, we have already had Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Pallid Swift, Great Spotted Cuckoo and over 4000+ Black Tailed Godwits in one field alone, some with colour rings from Iceland, and some from Greenland.

Hiya,

I'd usually expect to see my first Wheatear sometime around the 17th March (Paddy's Day). For me, this heralds the start of true Spring, none of this 1st February malarky!!!

Would also expect to see my first Sand Martins & Sandwich Terns in the later half of March.

All the best,
Niall

Niall answered for me there. I would also add Chiffchaff. Often seen or heard during the third week of March in this neck of the woods.

Si.

Just wondering - as a rule, which summer visitors are usually the first to arrive back in Britain?

Thanks

Wheatear, Sand Martin, Sandwich Tern, Ring Ousel, Garganey, Osprey are traditionally amongst the earliest arrivals. That said a Whimbrel was reported in Devon today!!

CB

That said a Whimbrel was reported in Devon today!!

CB

Overwintering most likely ... I saw 2 down here in Cornwall back in the new year ... bit of a surprise to be honest!! Looking into it, apparently c. 20 recorded in the south west uk and ireland annually, so not quite so rare. I'd imagine the same would be the case for the Chiffchaffs seen/heard singing in March - if not uk winterers, near continent ones, rather than from sub-saharan Africa??

I reckon that Chiff Chaffs singing in march will most likely be over-wintering birds too. Sand Martins for me are the earliest, although there were Swallows at a local reservoir early last year or the year before on March 15th. Also a Wheatear on my local patch last year on March 16th. Heard a Chaffinch singing today.

Overwintering most likely ... I saw 2 down here in Cornwall back in the new year ... bit of a surprise to be honest!! Looking into it, apparently c. 20 recorded in the south west uk and ireland annually, so not quite so rare. I'd imagine the same would be the case for the Chiffchaffs seen/heard singing in March - if not uk winterers, near continent ones, rather than from sub-saharan Africa??

Possibly but I checked the RBA records for the SW and none had been reported recently. They do occur as one of the earlier migrants.

LR Plovers are early migrants as well.

Forgot about them. Carn't wait for them to get back!!

CB

Possibly but I checked the RBA records for the SW and none had been reported recently. They do occur as one of the earlier migrants.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=160259 (Post#6)

There's also been at least another elsewhere in Cornwall, and the one in Devon.

Can't find the link I read about originally, but googling 'overwintering whimbrel' comes up with various records ... and I don't think they're normally a regular march migrant for example ... anyway ... ;)

Peak time for Whimbrel is April and early May they are very scarce in March.

Peak passage is later as you say but the first birds up here appear irregularly before the end of March. Certainly not regular but not unheard of either. The counties along the south coast do regularly get the first records in March.

CB

Peak passage is later as you say but the first birds up here appear irregularly before the end of March. Certainly not regular but not unheard of either. The counties along the south coast do regularly get the first records in March.

CB
Most of the Whimbrel pass through my area Co.Durham,Northumberland April to early May.We very rarely see Whimbrels in March i think we have only 3 records for March.

By the same token Willow Warbler and even Cuckoo could be said to be among the earliest migrants, I've seen the latter in March myself ...

Digressing even further ( ;) ), how about Hoopoe, Great Spotted Cuckoo and Alpine Swift? ...

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back