Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Red-legged Crake and Hooded Pitta in Singapore Botanic Gardens

Old Sunday 6th March 2016, 20:03   #1
simmojunior

Red-legged Crake and Hooded Pitta in Singapore Botanic Gardens

Hi everyone,

I am working in Singapore about ten minutes walk from Tanglin gate of the botanic gardens so am planning a couple of pre-work visits. I'll probably have a maximum of around an hour.

Does anyone have any tips? Specifically any information over where I might find Red-legged Crake or Hooded Pitta?

I visited yesterday afternoon for two hours and managed a lifer in the form of a Crimson Sunbird. Other birds seen included Stork-billed Kingfisher, Pink-necked Green Pigeon and White-breasted Waterhen.
Old Tuesday 8th March 2016, 08:24   #2
simmojunior

Bump. Someone must be able to help?
Old Saturday 6th August 2016, 02:54   #3
DonStarks
grizzled California vet

I'm planning on being in Singapore for a day's visit in mid September before going to Borneo on a Wings tour. My plan is to visit the Botanic Gardens also. Any posts here will help.
Old Saturday 6th August 2016, 05:21   #4
Torchepot

Have you checked out singaporebirdgroup on the web? They have free apps for android and apple, bird news and lots of alternative places to visit.
Old Saturday 6th August 2016, 14:47   #5
Allen S. Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchepot View Post
Have you checked out singaporebirdgroup on the web? They have free apps for android and apple, bird news and lots of alternative places to visit.
Their website is well worth a look.

When I was in Singapore in 2008 I took a taxi from my hotel to the Botanic Gardens and spent a few hours there. The birds were an interesting mixture of the familiar, such as Tree Sparrow and Brahminy Kite, and species new for me, such as White-breasted Waterhen and Tiger Shrike. My afternoon finished with a heavy downpour, but there was shelter at the entrance in which to wait for a taxi.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd September 2016, 03:55   #6
SeeToh
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmojunior View Post
Hi everyone,

I am working in Singapore about ten minutes walk from Tanglin gate of the botanic gardens so am planning a couple of pre-work visits. I'll probably have a maximum of around an hour.

Does anyone have any tips? Specifically any information over where I might find Red-legged Crake or Hooded Pitta?

I visited yesterday afternoon for two hours and managed a lifer in the form of a Crimson Sunbird. Other birds seen included Stork-billed Kingfisher, Pink-necked Green Pigeon and White-breasted Waterhen.
For Red-legged Crake, try Healing Garden. I had recently seen one in the Heliconda patch somewhere in between the Orchid Garden and the Symphony Lake. Someone had also seen it inside the rainforest.

As for Hooded Pitta, it is still early. They should start arriving in October. Try look for them at Ginger Garden patch near to the pond.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: