• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Crossbill - when and where? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Apart from the discussion if a Scottish Crossbill is identifiable or not or if it is a species... so no comment on that please?

I'd like to plan a trip to Scotland for seeing Scottish Crossbill, but have no clue which time of the year is best for trying my luck?
And if you happen to know a good place for it, you're welcome to share it as well, please?

I've searched the forum, but can't find a thread with info on when (and where is not always clear as well).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Miguel (from Belgium)

I would say that you're best to target forests of Scots Pine, rather than plantations of other conifers where Common Crossbill is more likely to be found. Keep in mind that Parrot Crossbill is also in Scottish pine forests. The pine forests of Speyside (maybe Abernethy, Rothiemurchus etc.) or Deeside (e.g. Glen Tanar, Mar Lodge) could be good places to try.

I'd understood they primarily used larch plantations? But as with any crossbill, they'll use anything that's available if their preferred species has a blank crop.

Thanks for the locations. Best timing would be April then or am I wrong?

Ok, as with all crossbills, they move around with the availability of food, but I assume trying several known spots is a better bet than just one or 2 places. Thanks!

Thanks for the locations. Best timing would be April then or am I wrong?

Ok, as with all crossbills, they move around with the availability of food, but I assume trying several known spots is a better bet than just one or 2 places. Thanks!

Yup, and get some sound recordings!

Hi all,

Apart from the discussion if a Scottish Crossbill is identifiable or not or if it is a species... so no comment on that please?

I'd like to plan a trip to Scotland for seeing Scottish Crossbill, but have no clue which time of the year is best for trying my luck?
And if you happen to know a good place for it, you're welcome to share it as well, please?

I've searched the forum, but can't find a thread with info on when (and where is not always clear as well).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Miguel (from Belgium)

"Scottish Crossbill" are supposed to be resident and sedentary, so in theory there is no best time of year though Crossbills will be singing in late winter/early spring, so it can be easier to locate them. Saying that, there can be times when any Crosbbill is hard to find in the traditional areas of Scotland when the cone crop has failed...so it's a very difficult question to answer, a lot depends on food source which is unpredicatable. Abernethy Forest in Strathspey is as good a place as any to try your luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back