Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Inexpensive bird feeders?

Old Thursday 14th June 2018, 20:49   #1
Chilt

Inexpensive bird feeders?

Where or how can I get or make inexpensive bird feeders for my garden, as Ive over spent my budget already this week! Would love to get some wild life in the garden so I can watch a count what comes in :)

Thanks for any help

Chilt
Old Sunday 17th June 2018, 00:28   #2
ElCucuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilt View Post
Where or how can I get or make inexpensive bird feeders for my garden, as I’ve over spent my budget already this week! Would love to get some wild life in the garden so I can watch a count what comes in :)

Thanks for any help

Chilt
I bought a fly by feeder it was like twenty or thirty bucks or so and good quality from H Potter and it was too small for me (seemed like large birds had a hard time with it though others loved it) so it's basically of no use to me, I'd give it to you if you weren't so far away lol but yeah you can definitely find cheaper ones of nice quality if you look hard enough

Last edited by ElCucuy : Sunday 17th June 2018 at 00:46.
Old Sunday 17th June 2018, 00:46   #3
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

You can make your own for very little money.
At the simplest, just a platform feeder works fine. Putting a little edge around it will help keep the feed from spilling over the sides too easily.
If you are more ambitious, there are sites that offer feeder ideas and instructions, such as:
http://www.birdsandblooms.com/backya...y-bird-feeder/
If you are a do it yourself handyman, this more elaborate unit might please:
http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/fr...der-plans.html

I don't know about the UK, but here in the USA, a small water bath is always popular. If it is possible, have a bucket or a hose just drip into the bath, it multiplies the appeal.
Birds just love baths and moving water highlights the opportunity.

Last edited by etudiant : Sunday 17th June 2018 at 00:51.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 18:40   #4
TakeFlight

The Brome Squirrel Buster is the way to go if you want to make sure the birds are the ones getting the food. These react to the weight of the squirrels, but also the weight of larger birds, like pigeons. They are also inexpensive, given the amount you'll be saving on food: https://birdbathsforsale.com/squirre...f-bird-feeder/
Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 18:47   #5
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

I've got the Brome feeders all over my yard and I love them. They are not cheap though.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 19:17   #6
PYRTLE

If your keen at d.i.y. and have some bits lying around you could easily make your own.
Here's a couple of thoughts.......
a Some chicken wire - you could bend it into shape and fasten with some stout wire or better still an old wire coat hanger ( could also use a piece of coat hanger to make a fixing loop ).
b. Make a small wooden nesting box, but without a hole, with a hinged lid, use a piece of wire netting for one side. This could be filled with a variety of bird food dependant on the gauge.
Fresh water is also important, again you may have something knocking around that could double as a bird bath / drinking bowl.
Much more rewarding if you've the time and no plastic.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Sunday 2nd September 2018 at 19:24.
Old Monday 3rd September 2018, 11:16   #7
Fraulein ash
Woodpecker stalker

I like the above suggestion of building a platform feeder, those are pretty simple to build, even *I* could do it and I'm not really all that handy, haha! There are also ways of turning a gallon jug into a feeder if you do a search online. But my personal favorite... is to grab any old log from the woods and drill some holes in it, 1 or 2 inches wide, and stuff the holes with peanut butter. The woodpeckers will love you!
Old Monday 3rd September 2018, 14:49   #8
Oldnintheway

I really like these. Cheap, easy, and a lot less mess. And the birds love them. I would suppose you have them in the UK?

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Fill-Suet-.../dp/B000795Y64
Old Monday 3rd September 2018, 16:23   #9
PYRTLE

Yes, they are a good addition to the seed, sunflower kernel and peanut feeders. You can spend a small fortune keeping the suet blocks from running out in no time. Hope the original poster has gotten some ideas and has feeders plus water supply in place.
The varied tit flock, finches and others have certainly built up in the last fortnight and are visiting regularly.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: