• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are some good Chinese Bird ID sites? (1 Viewer)

asterisktom

Malaysia
What are some good Chinese Bird ID sites, especially those that go down to the province level?

I was thinking about this when I saw that the site I had been using did not even mention a bird that I had (for not knowing of all the options) had misidentified. I still like the site, Avibase, but I see now that it would be good to know of other sources as well.

Yes, I know, I really should get a bird book. But they are pretty expensive from what I've seen and ample cash flow is not one of the benefits of being an English teacher here in China.

Your best bet is Oriental Bird Images: http://orientalbirdimages.org/, but it would still be worth getting a copy of Mackinnon & Philipps in Chinese, ripping out the text and keep the plates. As I understand it its only about CNY80 in China.

Cheers
Mike

I wonder where they are available up here in Jilin. I didn't know there was a Chinese version. At any rate, If I do get my hands on one I don't think I will tear out the text, since I am also learning Chinese.

Thanks.
Tom

If it's identification you are looking for we have some geniuses in our own I D forum who will more than likely identify your mystery bird quickly. ;)

If it's identification you are looking for we have some geniuses in our own I D forum who will more than likely identify your mystery bird quickly. ;)

Excellent idea. I have just the feathery candidate to present to you. Now let me look around for that forum here and I will post a picture of bird that has puzzled me.

This is not on your question exactly, but on this thread I listed some of the Chinese sites I know (I think the last was the one I initially used most in id-ing birds).

Thanks, Gretchen, I made a note of them. I remember having seen two of them. The ones that are largely Chinese are hard to use (except for the image). It is good to know that there are at least some birders in this country. That makes me somewhat hopeful for this country's ecological future.

BTW, I use this site:
http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklis...rdmoore&synlang=ZH&region=CNji&version=images

The region selected is Jilin, but you can change the settings to your region as well. But you probably already know about that site.

Tom
Bird-watchman on the Great Firewall

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back