• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first day out birdwatching! (1 Viewer)

Chilt

Hello everyone, as the title says, was my first proper day out with my binoculars birdwatching! And wow! They let you know where they are.. but can you see them?! NO! All inside the bushes and stuff! But I did get a few birdies which I shall post below :) Anyone got tips on birdwatching as I was struggling to see so many birds :(

Mallard (Male)
Mallard (female)
Canada geese
Canada geese (juveniles)
Moorhen (Adult)
Grey heron
Black headed gull
Rock dove (feral pigeon) (white patches)
Mute swan
Mute swan baby
Blackbird (male)
Long tailed tit? (Black, brown, white front)
Robbin
Crow

Pretty sure I saw a Great Tit also but haven’t put it down as it flew off too quick so I could ID it.

Thanks for viewing guys

Chilt

It's a bit more difficult at this time of year because there's so much greenery, and the birds take advantage of that. A lot easier when there are less leaves on the trees (Spring, Autumn and Winter). But if you can find them now, you'll find more when the leaves start to fall off in a few months time. Take the time to try and learn the calls and songs of the birds that you might encounter in your birdwatching spots, that way when you hear them you'll know roughly where to look for them (and what you're looking for), increasing your chances of seeing them.

check out the ‘Tips for New Birders’ forum, lots of threads there that might help you and good luck with your new hobby!

Went out again today! Saw a Male and Female Blackcap, 2 dunnocks and 3 crows fighting a buzzard in flight.
I obv saw more but I have already listed them :)

Thanks

Chilt

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it was a good day :) just gotta keep at it and practice :)

Thanks

Chilt

Well done, Chilt. You have absolutely the right idea. Just get out there are keep doing it. It can be frustrating at first for all sorts of reasons, but the more you do it the more you will learn. It will come gradually.

If you can get yourself out into the field at dawn you'll see a lot more than you will later in the day. Also, try visit various different types of habitat. Woodland, rivers, marshes, lakes, estuaries: all these have different birds to offer (although the last two, if not three, are likely to need a telescope to get the best out of them).

Well done, Chilt. You have absolutely the right idea. Just get out there are keep doing it. It can be frustrating at first for all sorts of reasons, but the more you do it the more you will learn. It will come gradually.

If you can get yourself out into the field at dawn you'll see a lot more than you will later in the day. Also, try visit various different types of habitat. Woodland, rivers, marshes, lakes, estuaries: all these have different birds to offer (although the last two, if not three, are likely to need a telescope to get the best out of them).

Thanks for your reply, I’d like to get out earlier but dawn is like 4am for me :(
But I am going to a local rspb reserve soon! :)

Thanks

Chilt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back