• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audobon Hr5 (1 Viewer)

imac

Is there anyone out there that has compared FULLY MULTICOATED and MULTICOATED versions of this binocular side by side ? If so could you please tell me if one differed and how as I am not in the position to make such a comparison and am quite intrigued..

Good question. I haven't been able to make that comparison either. Do you own one of these models?

Yes Ed I have used this since the early 80's it surprises me how many people write these bins off , never even having looked thru them. Finding tethered covers is not easy in the UK tho, I am still looking for them. I had one pair of HR5's nicked out of my car! I must say I was sure you would know the difference, if there is any.

imac,

Too bad about that. 804 Audubons really are fine binoculars, and it's still possible to replace them via eBay at reasonable cost. I see them consistently.

There are two non-ED versions of the HR/5 Audubon. Type 4b(1) appears to have the same coatings as the earlier 804R (Type 4a) and is marked Multi-Coated Optics. Type 4b(2) has the newer green coatings and is marked Fully Multi-Coated. Although I haven't made a side-by-side comparison of the two, I have compared the earlier 804R with the Type 4b(1) and found no differences. They seem to be the same binocular with different cover plates. I've also compared 804R with the 10x50 HR/5 Audubon/Kestrel that does have FMC. In general, the newer coatings seem to provide slightly more color saturation and contrast, although this is rather elusive. Only the relatively rare 804ED (Type 4c) is clearly a step up in terms of center clarity and color contrast. But this is probably due to the combined effect of coatings and ED glass, or just the ED glass alone. So, frankly, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the issue of MC vs. FMC on the standard models. Keep in mind that Steve Ingraham's 1990's BVD review of the 804 Audubon involved the MC model, which he used as his primary birding binocular for several years.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the view,
Ed

imac said:
Thanyou very much for the info

I forgot to mention that Eagle Optics sells rubber tethered objective covers for the Audubon that are really excellent. You might check to see if they will mail you a pair. Cost is moderate.

Ed

I already tried that route but they dont mail over here! and I cannot locate a source in europe never mind the UK but I have managed this far, its just that I have always had a great talent for losing 1 never the lot which shows how well organised I am. I wont try and justifv this behaviour and wonder at the hilarity of it all..

I'm going on vacation in a few days, but will be happy to remail you a set from EO when I return in mid-Sept. Please send me a private message if you'd like to take me up on the offer, and we'll make the arrangement. At this point, do you have an 804 Audubon to use them on?
Ed

HR5's

Unfortunately I have a message saying your PM box is full , enjoy your holiday. I own a pair of multicoated at the moment

Last edited:
imac said:
Unfortunately I have a message saying your PM box is full , enjoy your holiday. I own a pair of multicoated at the moment
Oops, I didn't know it was full. Please give it another try.

elkcub said:
There are two non-ED versions of the HR/5 Audubon. Type 4b(1) appears to have the same coatings as the earlier 804R (Type 4a) and is marked Multi-Coated Optics. Type 4b(2) has the newer green coatings and is marked Fully Multi-Coated.
Ed

Hi Ed,

I have recently acquired a very fine pair of HR/5 (don't ask what I paid!), which are 91.... with MC optics. However, I am a bit perplexed by your description above because these have a distinct green coating to the outer faces of both the eyepiece and objectives, which is more like the FMC version (I think). I have attached an image of the objective and would appreciate your opinion.

Chris

Attachments

• HR5.jpg
    HR5.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 417
zurtfox said:
Hi Ed,

I have recently acquired a very fine pair of HR/5 (don't ask what I paid!), which are 91.... with MC optics. However, I am a bit perplexed by your description above because these have a distinct green coating to the outer faces of both the eyepiece and objectives, which is more like the FMC version (I think). I have attached an image of the objective and would appreciate your opinion.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comment. I think the dilemma is resolved by the recent revelation that HR/5 Audubons with Gold Dots first appeared in Europe during the early- or mid-1980s, marketed by Swift-Pyser. Actually, there was a whole series of gold and blue dot models that Renze knows more about than I do.

Our latest historical conjecture, therefore, is that this early Type 4b(1) was physically the same as the Type 4a (804R) sold in the US, and shared the same "Multi-Coated Optics." I'm calling it the Type 4b(1)E — 'E' for Europe. See the historical thread starting with post #109. As with most/all European Swift's, they are also distinguished by not having "model 804" stenciled on the cover plate.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=745506#post745506

The first Type 4b(1) with Gold Dot emblem appeared in the US about 1989 and retained the MC marking even though it obviously had improved coatings. I also recently acquired a dealer's 1995 store sample (don't ask the price :) that was still marked MC, not FMC. Yet, I can't distinguish its ocular coatings from the 1993 and 1994 Type 4c (804ED) specimens that Renze and I own, which are marked "Fully Multi-Coated." The objectives, like yours, also look to be FMC.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Swift (USA) was not all that accurate in their coating designations.

Enjoy the view,
ED

PS. Is yours marked "Model 804" on the cover plate?
PPS. Very sorry about date error.

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. However, more anomalies are appearing...

elkcub said:
I'm calling it the Type 4b(1)E — 'E' for Europe. See the historical thread starting with post #109. As with most/all European Swift's, they are also distinguished by not having "model 804" stenciled on the cover plate[UNQUOTE]

Mine have "Model No 804" stencilled on the bottom line of the cover plate. It also has "US Patent No..." on the right cover plate (is that of any significance, or do they all have that?). I'm beginning to wonder if mine (cost $200 at today's £/$ exchange rate) originated in the US and found their way to the UK at some point.

I recently trialled a new 820ED and they appeared to have similar coatings to this pair of HR/5s. I have to admit that optically I was disappointed with the 820ED - with spectacles (super-thin) I could still never get more than 138m/1000m in the fov, even when peering into the corners! However, the colour rendition in the 820 was more neutral than my HR/5, which have a slightly green/yellow cast (very similar to Swarovskis of that time), and ergonomically they are a definite improvement.

As for resolution, well, in a lines/mm @ 10m test, these HR/5s outperformed my Zeiss 8x32 FLs (even after allowing for the extra 0.5x magnification). I am simply amazed a bino which is 15 years old and 1/8th of the cost of the top optics of today performs so brilliantly (and meets its spec @ 144m/1000m = a lovely picture-window 70°).

By the way, I also had a pair of Blue Band and Gold Band 8.5s (76.... & 77.... respectively). I deconstructed the Blue ones (they were in poor physical condition) down to the last screw/lens element/prism, polished the mould off the prism surfaces, rebuilt them, recollimated them and put them in p/x them for the HR/5s. The only discernable difference between them was that the Gold were 50g lighter (although I couldn't find where they had shaved that off - unless I left something out when I rebuilt them ;-)).

One final comment: in your superb 3-part history you have the strap lugs as 'plastic' on the HR/5s - mine are definitely alloy.

All the best,

Chris

PS I use a pair of Nikon LX rainguards instead of the caps - just the right size to keep the entire eyepieces dry.

Last edited:
zurtfox said:
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. However, more anomalies are appearing...

elkcub said:
I'm calling it the Type 4b(1)E — 'E' for Europe. See the historical thread starting with post #109. As with most/all European Swift's, they are also distinguished by not having "model 804" stenciled on the cover plate[UNQUOTE]

Mine have "Model No 804" stencilled on the bottom line of the cover plate. It also has "US Patent No..." on the right cover plate (is that of any significance, or do they all have that?). I'm beginning to wonder if mine (cost $200 at today's £/$ exchange rate) originated in the US and found their way to the UK at some point.

I recently trialled a new 820ED and they appeared to have similar coatings to this pair of HR/5s. I have to admit that optically I was disappointed with the 820ED - with spectacles (super-thin) I could still never get more than 138m/1000m in the fov, even when peering into the corners! However, the colour rendition in the 820 was more neutral than my HR/5, which have a slightly green/yellow cast (very similar to Swarovskis of that time), and ergonomically they are a definite improvement.

As for resolution, well, in a lines/mm @ 10m test, these HR/5s outperformed my Zeiss 8x32 FLs (even after allowing for the extra 0.5x magnification). I am simply amazed a bino which is 15 years old and 1/8th of the cost of the top optics of today performs so brilliantly (and meets its spec @ 144m/1000m = a lovely picture-window 70°).

By the way, I also had a pair of Blue Band and Gold Band 8.5s (76.... & 77.... respectively). I deconstructed the Blue ones (they were in poor physical condition) down to the last screw/lens element/prism, polished the mould off the prism surfaces, rebuilt them, recollimated them and put them in p/x them for the HR/5s. The only discernable difference between them was that the Gold were 50g lighter (although I couldn't find where they had shaved that off - unless I left something out when I rebuilt them ;-)).

One final comment: in your superb 3-part history you have the strap lugs as 'plastic' on the HR/5s - mine are definitely alloy.

All the best,

Chris

PS I use a pair of Nikon LX rainguards instead of the caps - just the right size to keep the entire eyepieces dry.

Chris,

Said like a true 804 Audubon aficionado.

I don't know if the post-1989 European issue HR/5s can be distinguished from those sold in the US with Gold Dots. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not sure how much I care either — ;). It's too confusing to track these minor things. Your 1991 model, however, sounds just like my recent 1995 acquisition, and the US patent reference probably indicates they were made for the US market.

Wow, you're a handy guy. I'd say your earlier blue and gold ribbon models were Type 3, sold in Europe. If you still have them could you pass on the dates? Some of those go back almost to the Type 1s made by Tamron, and preceeded the entire line of Type 2 Audubons sold in the US.

The new owners of Swift Sport Optics have been made aware that the 820ED does not have air spaced objectives as stated in their recent (and earlier) brochures. So, it's inevitable that the aberration characteristics would be different from the 804ED. Most people I've talked with can't see much difference from the standard 820, except (maybe) for color saturation. My own sense of overall color cast is lacking, or I adapt to it very quickly, so I don't really have any preferences one way or the other.

My 804EDs are superior to any binocular I own for center clarity, and I'd rather use them for long-distance shore birding than 10x42 SLCs or even 10x50 Kestrel Audubons. Remarkable! Buy it if you find one in serviceable condition. Nicolas Crista in the US can do wonders with resoration at a most reasonable price.

I'm sure you're right about the strap lugs being metal on the HR/5s. That will be corrected. Thanks.

Best regards,
Ed

Hi Ed,

elkcub said:
Chris,
If you still have them could you pass on the dates?[UNQUOTE]

Blue Band - 1976
Gold Band - 1977

The best illustration I can give of my HR/5s is to be found on eBay (USA), where currently there is a pair for sale (item number 280057409087). The are identical to my pair in every way (except the year: mine 1991).

All the best,

Chris

zurtfox said:
Hi Ed,

elkcub said:
Chris,
If you still have them could you pass on the dates?[UNQUOTE]

Blue Band - 1976
Gold Band - 1977

The best illustration I can give of my HR/5s is to be found on eBay (USA), where currently there is a pair for sale (item number 280057409087). The are identical to my pair in every way (except the year: mine 1991).

All the best,

Chris

Many thanks for the dates, which gibe with the Type 3a and 3b we mention in the article.

The auction HR/5 binoculars are also the same as my recent $200 acquisition.

Use them in good health,

Ed

I can tell you that the FMC's give a deeper saturation in the colours and slightly improved contrast. The coatings are different colours which may go some way in determining the improvement.

Now, this coating-identification is quicksand, believe me. I can show you my records, put together by asking Audubon HR/5 owners what colours they saw on the objective and ocular lenses, and they're a mess. There's no consistency in them at all. When I thought I (or my honorable sources...)must be colour blind, or crazy, or an alien I stopped collecting this information. Even Ed and I don't agree (which I haven't told him yet, he's too dear te me).
However, my rule of thumb is that if there's red or orange in the coating, it's a good sign. IMHO this represents the latest version (my 804ED shows orange in the ocular lenses, my 10x50 Audubon (Kestrel) shows red.

Renze

Last edited:
Dear Renze,

My standard 804 and 804ED HR/5s each show orange — the same orange. My 10x50 Kestrel oculars show not a hint or red or orange — just green. My conclusion is that our Kestrels have different coatings. My s/n is 984836. Could you ask your friend what yours are again? ;)

Ed

I can tell you that the FMC's give a deeper saturation in the colours and slightly improved contrast. The coatings are different colours which may go some way in determining the improvement.

Sorry, I lost track. Are you referring to 804 Audubons with MC vs. FMC? Could you provide the year of manufacture (first two digits of s/n) and whether or not you can see red/orange in any of the ocular reflections? My MC 804R has white reflections except for one green — no red or orange.

(Renze, I think you're on to something.)

Simon, when you say "slightly improved contrast," what do you mean by "improved." To me it would suggest that one could perceive more color gradations, but that also tends to lower color saturation in a given area. This is by no means a criticism. I'm just curious about what you mean.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back